Carp Anglers Group Forums

How important is it to sharpening your hooks when fishing for one bite a day or up to 3 bites on a outstanding day? 

I check my hook point EVERY time I wind in or land a fish. You never know if it has hit a rock etc and dulled or bent the point. I use a small diamond (Orvis or similar) file and it takes second to restore the point to needle sharpness.

Sticky sharp will catch you more carp! Savayman's info is absolutely right! Check them after every reeling in to rebait and every catch, sharpen or change them as needed.

18 hours ago, OregonCarper said:

How important is it to sharpening your hooks when fishing for one bite a day or up to 3 bites on a outstanding day? 

If you are fishing a venue that is only going to give up one bite a day, you would be foolish to not do absolutely everything to convert that bite to a fish on the bank and it all starts with a sharp hook.

...W

4 hours ago, W.Bush said:

If you are fishing a venue that is only going to give up one bite a day, you would be foolish to not do absolutely everything to convert that bite to a fish on the bank and it all starts with a sharp hook.

...W

That’s my thought process but I was curious if people are as serious about it here as they are in Europe.   

The trend towards ‘ultra’ sharp hook points in Europe is focused on one hook for one fish. 

I seriously doubt we need to go quite that far over here. Quality Carp hooks out of the packet are sharp enough in my opinion but still need the point constantly checked & restored from time to time.

Edited by Savayman

26 minutes ago, Dale Holmes said:

What's the best way to test a hook to determine if its sharp enough?

If you purchase hooks from a well know carp company (Fox, Nash, Gardener, Korda etc) you'll find they are chemically sharpened and will be decent straight out of the packet.

One other factor will be the pattern of hook. Straight point hooks are generally much easier to sharpen whereas beak points need more 'love'. I own a couple of different files; a cheap Bass Pro file, which does the initial work and then two different grades from Jag. I used diamond eye sharpeners for years which you can get from most hunting/fishing shops.

In terms of tests, it really depends on how sharp you want the hooks. I'd never go to the extremes some use in England (Jim Shelley has youtube video's detailing how he sharpens the hooks to almost a needle point) as our American carp fight much harder and are usually in rivers with current, weed, snags etc. However, I do sharpen my hooks on EVERY cast and will replace them if they don't come up to standard.

The typical test is to drag the hook slowly down a thumb nail and if it catches then it's sharp. However, I prefer to sharpen the hooks until when I put them on my thumb they are 'sticky'. Sometimes this takes the use of an eye glass to check the points but in most cases 5-10 strokes on each side of the hook will do the job.

8 hours ago, Savayman said:

The trend towards ‘ultra’ sharp hook points in Europe is focused on one hook for one fish. 

I seriously doubt we need to go quite that far over here. Quality Carp hooks out of the packet are sharp enough in my opinion but still need the point constantly checked & restored from time to time.

I fish mostly for one fish s trip if I’m lucky I will get two but rarely my best day on those places are 3 and that’s only happened once. 

I change hooks every 3rd fishing session at least. More if I find one that's a little dull. A new hook is a small investment when we spend 8 hours or more on the bank.

I've been a little more careful about hook points, though I haven't gotten into the mode of sharpening hooks very often but I have used Jeromes technique of placing the hook eye in the pack bait. I usually catch up to 10 carp a session, and I've lost very few fish, and hooked nearly all, but, even if I'd only ever lost one, it could be my PB!..............so I think I will start sharpening like Brookesy. My question would be-don't you weaken the hook point with too much sharpening?.........