Carp Anglers Group Forums

http://www.flyfishingshow.com

Wanted to put this here and on FB.  There are several shows that will cover a good portion of the US so it would be convenient for a lot of people to attend.  I plan on attending the Atlanta show, depending on what is covered on a particular day.  There was one seminar that covered fly fishing for everything but trout.  Hopefully, it will cover carp.  If not, I will drop a hint to the speaker.

FYI, the seminar is by Henry Cowen.  It will be Friday, February 2nd, at 4 PM.

Iain posted on FB- Henry Cowen chases carp in  the skinny stick.  The NJ show will have additional info on carp on the fly.

In my opinion, not enough is known about fly fishing for carp.  sure, everyone has a fly for carp but not everyone has the same fishery.  carp live in many types of water.  gin clear, to muddy brown is what I have in the Greater New York Area.  Many of the flies designed for carp only work in certain fisheries.  It seems no one is fishing the water column.  The past few years I have experimented with soft baits,pop ups when fly fishing for carp.  Those classically trained may frown but I think the fly fisher needs to push the envelope to expand the season and places where carp can be caught.

Thanks for  your reply, Bill.  Not enough is known, IMHO, partly because not many people are flinging flies at carp.  As for fishing the water column, I feel you are talking about the area between the top and the bottom.  Interestingly, my wife and I were in Little Rock, AR this past summer.  The F&G people had an aquarium and other things off the downtown area.  One of the tanks had a common carp in it.  Never gave it much thought but the attendant fed the carp live minnows.  The carp chased and inhaled the minnows like any predatory fish like a bass or muskie.  In just a matter of second, all the minnows were gone!  Would fishing something like a white woolly bugger or a small white Clouser minnow work for carp?  I have had good luck with a white WB to imitate the shad die-off on my home trout river.  I tie it like a regular WB but tie in a few strands of white pearlescent crystal flash.  I have been know to use some silver Christmas tinsel, too.  On the surface, we are familiar with the mulberry imitations or insect imitation.  I have a place where I can experiment with surface flies.  I would like to experiment as I know of a fellow who fishes for carp here in east Tennessee.  I'm curious what flies he uses.  We normally think of crawfish imitations or nymphs fished on the bottom.  Will let the members know what I find.  Well, any excuse to go fishing for carp!

I'll be going to the events in MA next week. Should be good, lots of interesting presentations lined up and at least a couple are going to be talking carp. 

Fly fishing for carp may be my favorite way to target them, and it's too bad there's not much mention of it on here. Carp on the fly is getting mainstreamed though, lots of pictures and info floating around other platforms. Still would be cool to see more of that here. I'm going to be fly fishing for some next week in Arizona, I'll throw up some reports and fly pictures afterwards. 

Arizona?  Gila trout?  San Juan River?  Know of a fellow who drives out there each summer, spends a few weeks, and guides on the San Juan.  Used to do a lot of trout fishing but age has a way of preventing the rock climbing that is necessary in these parts.  May do some this year.  Carp fishing is much easier on the knees.

Franky, would you share your favorite flies, techniques, and strategies for the group?  Thanks.

On 1/10/2018 at 8:00 AM, Cannonball said:

Arizona?  Gila trout?  San Juan River?  Know of a fellow who drives out there each summer, spends a few weeks, and guides on the San Juan.  Used to do a lot of trout fishing but age has a way of preventing the rock climbing that is necessary in these parts.  May do some this year.  Carp fishing is much easier on the knees.

Franky, would you share your favorite flies, techniques, and strategies for the group?  Thanks.

Lots of interesting trout and other species around there for sure. I'd definitely like to mess around in that area at some point and target some of them. But Phoenix is one of the best cities there is for urban carp fishing. Koi, commons, mirrors, grassers, quantity and quality.

I didn't get to fly fish much this trip but I played around with ultralights and caught some fish. I'm no expert at this but I can certainly post some of the flies I use and such when I get a chance. 

I used to have a customer in Chandler, AZ.  Didn't fish for carp then.  Look at how much time I have wasted in the 15 years!  Like to see what is in your fly box.

3 hours ago, Cannonball said:

I used to have a customer in Chandler, AZ.  Didn't fish for carp then.  Look at how much time I have wasted in the 15 years!  Like to see what is in your fly box.

John -- I'm texting you a photo of a "grass fly" that a guy I met on the bank was using to catch grass carp at a local pond.  

He noticed the grassers slurping blown-in grass on the surface when the maintenance guys were mowing near the bank, so he tied a fly that resembles a few blades of grass.

I can't get the link to work.  Says:  "Domain name for sale" when I click on it. 

As far as a white Clouser goes, I did fish successfully a fly that I called a white rabbit.  It was a simple tie:  White rabbit hair tail, dubbed white rabbit fur, red white wrap in the style of a woolly bugger, and a silver bead.  There was no hackle in it so it wasn't a bead headed woolly bugger.  I tied it with a white rabbit skin and so I called it a white rabbit so I knew what I was talking about.  I didn't invent anything.  I have this pet peeve about people saying they invented a fly when it is a variation of something that is very old indeed.  I had such good success with the fly that I tied a couple of doz up and went through all of them in season, so I fished it a little. 

I fished this fly in a stocked lake for gamefish.  My best success was soon after they dumped a ton of minnows in the water for food for a recently revived lake.  Carp are like any other fish, an opportunist indeed.  As long as they were feeding on the recent manna from heaven, I gave them what they were already eating.  Matching the hatch so to say. 

Fly Fishing with white & green or white & blue streamer patterns work fine in the Lake Michigan harbors and the shoreline, as do Float and Fly and Float and lead eye jig patterns. Drop-shotting up and down the water column with small fish patterns is a growing and very popular technique in the UK. And, don’t even get me started on zig options, rigs, and bait permutations...

Carp are omnivores and opportunists... they don’t get hung up on what’s written in books (I’m not sure they can actually read?). They just try to eat what looks or smells like it could be tasty, wherever in the water column they find it.