Carp Anglers Group Forums
Mr. CEO

Do Gobies Disturb Carp Fishing?

I've noticed when people sometimes try to fish for perch, bluegill, walleye, etc. on the great lakes, as soon as their bait hits the bottom they are bombarded by gobies. I feel like they would eat all of your chum and your hookbait unless it was a large pop up or something. Anyone who has carp fished in goby infested waters such as the great lakes, do you know if gobies are a nuisance when carp fishing?

The November issue of BASS Times magazine has a one page article on gobies.  Here are four talking points I will bring out.  One, the round goby eats eggs of other fish species.  Two, they have contributed to the decline in the total mussel biomass in Oneida Lake.  I believe this is in New York state.  The research was done by a Cornell University student.  Third, the article ends with this, "It (a report by the Aquatic Nuisance Species task force) also warns that gobies "maybe interfere with habitat restoration projects.  Round gobies are aggressive toward other fish and may drive native fish away from prime spawning areas."  The last sentence. "In the St. Clair River (Michigan), where gobies were first confirmed nearly 30 years ago, populations of native sculpin and logperch have suffered substantial declines.  And people are worried about common carp?  There are some positives (?) as some places have seen an increase in size of LMB and SMB.  I find it hard to see the positive with all the negatives brought out in the article.  If you know anyone who is a member of BASS, ask for their copy and read the article in full; page 10.

I have been doing research for a while on the impacts on all of the "invasive" species and in a nutshell this is what seems to happen, 1st a population explodes then after seeks equilibrium...gobies have made the smallmouth bass population boom, also I have talked to carp anglers in the great lakes including carp flyfishing guides at beaver island and commons eat gobies, do gobies eat fish egg? sure just like bluegills do...many times the sky is falling on what ever invasive of the month is..its a SCREAM for $$$$..anyone who's old enough remembers just how nasty the water was in the great lakes, zebras def cleared the water and fish populations got better....the big issue was cleaning the mussels off things in the water....it was an issue with barnacles in salt water so the tech to address that issue existed...the silver carp issue..seems that traditional game fish feed heavy on them and get fat, the illinois river is experiencing a game fish boom because of them.....now I see the black carp is the next bad fish, they eat native mussels and they will take over the world....just another scream for $$ to watch them or else......I am all for good science, yet we risk the boy that cried wolf situation, I think this winters bitter cold has killed back many non-native species because over our last 10 years the winters have been mild, just like the global warming situation....anyone who wants can google up tons of data....we have been warming ever since the end of the last last age, some 13k years ago, and since the 1850's we have been having good weather data and have had faster warming...the big question is wether man is causing it......want to know how minor mans effect is on weather? google the year without a summer...a volcanic eruption caused weather to get much colder short term, snow in colonial new England in June, 1816 two foot of snow fell as far south as Virginia!...so many things have effected earths weather, the last 5k years have been some of the most stable....its a fascinating subject for anyone who wishes to read about it

I have never seen a carp around any fish nest- bluegills and newts for sure.  I have seen bass swimming around crappie nests.  I had the pleasure to hear congressman Bill Brock (TN) speak at my father's Civitan Club years ago.  One thing that stood out was his comment that the government has to find an issue or cause or problem so they can throw $$$$$$$ at it.  That is our money, BTW.

Edit:  When I was in grade school in the mid 50s, we were told that the earth was cooling.