Carp Anglers Group Forums
James Salsbury

Fishing New Venues

Looking for tips on how to fish new venues. Have a few lakes that the DNR has listed as having commons but the recent weather hasn't allowed them to show due to wind and multiple cold fronts moving through. Water depth ranges from about 3'-36' in the deepest areas. What should I be looking for or targeting to find them? Fast drop offs or shallows? Water temp is finally starting to stay above 32 for the next few days, thank goodness spring may be here.

I'd try to prebait the spot I've decided to fish a few days before actually fishing it first. At your water tempertures, I'd would look at the deeper water, but they may possibly come shallow, as long as they have quick access to deep water. They also are pretty likely to suspend over deeper water, making zig rigs a good option, even float rigs. I think the drop offs would be a good area to look.

Hey I’m close to Iowa.

My best luck this time of year has been fishing areas in 6 feet of water or less. Also try to fish places where you can see fish of any species or birds.

Bait and rigs should be instant and simply. For example hair rig with corn/fake corn and a Panko pack.

Fish a spot for an hour tops then move.

Fish the warmer parts of the day.

Dont let a blank shake your confidence.

I don’t have experience with the zig but I hope to change that this year and do some more float fishing.

I got my first fish of the year yesterday....

I'd go to the creeks-they warm faster than lakes, which are still a couple weeks away with the delayed spring.......creeks are nice cause you can disseminate the scent better-the water does it for you!...I'm having good success when I go out, which hasn't been daily due to work, etc........I agree to move if no hits, but usually I only wait 15 minutes before moving, or recasting.............this time of year they're a little slower and the bite is very subtle- you'll catch far more fish if you pay attention to your lines instead of waiting for runs............just sayin...  :)..........I'm only 3 hours away from the Iowa border-we should set somethin up!................

go for places that warm up quickest in the early spring sun,shallow water will warm quicker.

its really all about location,find the fish,let them tell you where to fish,the worst thing in the world is to have a pre designated plan on what swim your going to fish,if the fish are not there its a waste of your time.take an hour and do a lap of the water your going to fish leaving your tackle in the car and just taking a pair of Polaroids to look through the surface glare.

just last week i spent 2 hours walking around a lake near to savaymans house and finally found feeding fish right on the back of a freezing cold wind bubbling like crazy in about 4 feet of water,i ended up loosing one but at least i was on the fish.

don't go piling the bait in,single hook baits and a PVA bag or mesh would be perfect,i would not go out trying to fill the lake in,just fish for a bite,just enough for a mouthful is all they will be looking for at this time of year mate.

i personally would not pre bait a swim coz when you get there you might find the fish in a totally different place.

good luck mate.

Shallow water is the ticket this time of year, but some fish may not have moved out of the deeper channels yet. I'd find an area with shallows, but put one rod off a drop off. You never know sometimes with carp ;)

Great tips everyone! Really appreciate the help. This is my first spring chasing carp so I don't know what to expect coming out of winter. I have been working on walking the venue a bit 30-40 mins before I lug my kit around and set up. Going to add some methods and fake corn into the mix here soon, as I'm fairly sure these carp haven't seen a pop-up or boilie in their lives, hah. Dough bait on a hair worked for me last fall so that will be on the menu also. Again, thanks for all the info, I'm trying to soak up all this knowledge! 

On 4/14/2018 at 6:29 PM, (MO) MOCarper said:

I'd go to the creeks-they warm faster than lakes, which are still a couple weeks away with the delayed spring.......creeks are nice cause you can disseminate the scent better-the water does it for you!...I'm having good success when I go out, which hasn't been daily due to work, etc........I agree to move if no hits, but usually I only wait 15 minutes before moving, or recasting.............this time of year they're a little slower and the bite is very subtle- you'll catch far more fish if you pay attention to your lines instead of waiting for runs............just sayin...  :)..........I'm only 3 hours away from the Iowa border-we should set somethin up!................

I've been looking at venues in MO for late summer or fall. Could be a possibility!

Almost every venue is a new one for me, as I'm pretty new myself! I almost always have luck choosing a windblown bank (or choosing one that will be windblown in the future), and setting up shop there. I almost always prebait my swim in advance, typically for three days before I fish. I've yet to see fish in any other area than my baited one, but there have been days where I haven't seen any fish at all and I'll still be landing a couple. Something that always helps is to introduce more bait after every fish landed (or after every rebait). This keeps them in the area and competing over the food. The one thing you've gotta keep in mind is that once it's in, you can't take it out. Hope this helps, good luck and tight lines!