Carp Anglers Group Forums
Aaron W

What wrong with this buffalo?

Last friday I was fishing at a marina at Lenoir City, Tennessee, and caught two Buffalo. One had a huge sore on its head and gill flap:

20180501_044007.jpg

Anyone know what it is? And sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

How big was the fish? I wonder if it could be a lamprey scar? Odd that it should be on the head or gill plate rather than a softer tissue area.

I'm not sure what that is, any time I catch a fish that has something weird going on I typically try to handle it as little as possible and wash all my gear thoroughly immediately afterwards. My dad caught a buffalo missing a gill plate the other day, would anyone know what causes that?

eIt0544.jpg

boat props? grazed by an arrow? I've caught commons with a missing gill plate before and thought it was from people picking them up by the gills and then releasing them with damaged gill plates...which might fall off. Following...

The fish we caught had the lampreys stuck on the side.  Others had the lesions from lampreys.

12 minutes ago, (MN) chayathecat said:

boat props? grazed by an arrow? I've caught commons with a missing gill plate before and thought it was from people picking them up by the gills and then releasing them with damaged gill plates...which might fall off. Following...

I'm just hoping it's not a disease! Anytime I catch a fish with something weird going on I always make sure to handle it as little as possible and clean my gear with lots of water right after.

On 5/1/2018 at 11:56 AM, (CT) Savayman said:

How big was the fish? I wonder if it could be a lamprey scar? Odd that it should be on the head or gill plate rather than a softer tissue area.

The fish was about 12-13Ibs IIRC. A few years ago, I saw what looked like a possible lamprey on a carp swimming in the shallows. But it looked to only be 4-5" long, so I wasn't so sure. But I've heard about a guy catching some sort of fish below the nearby dam that had a lamprey attached to it, so they must be some around.