Carp Anglers Group Forums
James Salsbury

Adjustable Zig Rigs-Tips Needed.

Last weekend I dipped my toe into the zig water as the last few times I've been out I've seen carp just cruising around and not stopping to feed. I thought if I could get something in front of them I would increase my chances of hooking a fish up. Low and be hold I caught a sweet 4 lb channel cat on a 6' zig in about 12' of water (manilla pop-up with Buttercorn Goo as hookbait). Obviously not the fish I was targeting but it gave me confidence that the rig would work for fish cruising mid column.

The venue I have been fishing has either gradual drop offs to water about 16' deep or extreme drop offs to 26' + deep within 10' from the bank. I thought adjustable depth zigs from could help make my life easier as I could cast to a ledge then pull the zig down a couple feet from the surface where I have seen the fish cruising.  Last week I started to see larger fish (females?) slowly cruising within 5-15' from the bank.  

I plan on moving away from just a pop up and moving towards black, red, or yellow foam with some Goo Smoke as an attractant. 2 rods will have the adjustable zig rigs 2' and 4' below the surface in the high traffic areas and one will be fixed at about 6' off the bottom in about 16' of water. Does this seem like a good strategy? Any input from you vets would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Straight black or red foam has worked best for me so far & fished to within 2’ of the surface. 

Adjustable zigs are something I want to try soon. 90% of my zig fishing is done with simple popups or a piece of fake corn/foam.I do not like using flavoring/using goo on my zigs. For my style of fishing, the fact that something is floating mid water is more important than it having a scent trail. I have watched fish come up to highly scented popups and move away. Same zig with a plain popup caught multiple fish that day.