Carp Anglers Group Forums
Andy L

Pack bait help

I have been fishing for carp most of my life but have recently switched over to the UK way...hair rigs, method feeders, boilies etc.  I'm looking for some help on pack baits. Right now I use a very basic one of: oatmeal, strawberry jello and cream corn.  I've had some success but not as much as when I was just using dough ball baits and just a regular hook.

Any help with some different pack baits would be greatly appreciated.

As a guest, he can't access that information. For this time of year, try an oats pack. Use some old-fashioned oats, creamed corn, and a flavoring of your choice. Snow cone flavors are pretty good, you already know about Jello, and any spice or flavoring in your kitchen will work as well. Experimentation is key! When summer hits, try using millet as a base instead of oats. You can also add other things to any pack to give the carp a variety such as sweet feed, trout pellets, hemp seed, etc. One of my favorite packs is old fashioned oats, creamed corn, fermented sweet corn (leave it out for a week or so), sweet feed, pulverized range cube (best way is by sledge hammer, those things are tough), and chili powder. Carp like it spicy!

The biggest tip I can give you when fishing any pack is to get the right consistency, it should just wet enough to mold and hold a shape, too mushy or too dry and it won't work. Don't squeeze too tightly and only give it a few compresses with your hands. To get a feel for the breakdown time, make a ball the exact way you do around your lead (same amount of compressions & force), and place it in the margins where you can see it. The ideal breakdown time is around 2-5 minutes. Good luck and tight lines!

42 oz. of old fashioned oats, one can creamed corn, and flavor.  Pour one half of the creamed corn into the oats.  Mix flavor in the other half, mix thoroughly.  Pour into the oats/creamed corn mix and mix thoroughly.  I mix it the night before fishing, usually before I go to bed.  It's ready my morning.  It is possible to mix it right before you go fishing.  This should give it time for the oats to completely absorb the liquid from the corn.  Also, if it dries out a bit, add a bit of water to moisten it.  Works great all year!

I get my flavors at the grocery store. Ollie's Bargain Outlet or Big Lots has flavors real cheap.

What I primarily use with great success is a oatmeal, grits, and panko packbait with molasses and sweetcorn/garbanzo beans. The consistency and smell is quite pleasant IMO and the carp in my area love it. If it's too dry, use molasses to moisten it and if it's too moist, use grits to make it dryer. I don't measure anything, I just do it by feel and it comes out just fine.  

Large can of sweetcorn , drain the liquid (save juice) (large can of corn prob =   2 regular cans).  

A pack of strawberry jello and a box of panko breadcrumbs

dump all into a bucket/pan

stir and mix until sticky and "gluey"

if too dry, add a little of the drained juice back in little by little until it will pack into a stiff ball.

Done right, it will set up great, cast well and break down slowly off your method feeder

I like the oatmeal mix that I posted earlier. If it dries, as Manosteel said, add a bit of lake or river water to moisten it and fish!