Carp Anglers Group Forums
Ch204

Carp on the worm

I'm new to this forum. I'm a fly fisherman who has been strictly trout but recently started moving over to the warm water species mainly because they are more readily available in my area and have gotten really interested in carp on the fly. Have any of you had luck with san juan worms for carp or variations of?

carp are omnivores your presentation is what is important; not the fly.  carp are not like other fish, they must be feeding before they will consider taking your fly.  if they are not feeding go see a movie.   they are very cautious,  they don't like fast movements.  they are very easily spooked.  if you can see them, they see you.  always approach with stealth.  I have caught carp with numerous flies, dry, wet, streamers, terrestrials and soft baits.  lakes fish differently from rivers.  please take a look at my blog: The Great Lakes of NYC.  it features the tactics I have used to catch carp.  you must use stealth, patience and accuracy to be able to take carp with your flies!

Bill

ALL FISH LOVE BLOODWORMS!!!

dig in the muck to find some (like the carp do) & match your SJs' size/color to that