Carp Anglers Group Forums
RedRiverJay

Catch and release.....illegal???

I noticed a change in the North Dakota fishing regulations from the prior booklet.  Catch and release of common carp is not allowed.  Just curious if this is the situation in other states.    Below is the link.  Search for "carp."

https://gf.nd.gov/fishing/regulations-guide

Searching for carp didn't do it for me. But scrolling through the regulations one can find:

"What happens if I catch an ANS fish species?

Class III ANS, such as common carp or silver carp, can be kept for consumption if legally harvested. However, they cannot be released alive back into a waterbody after they have been harvested. All other ANS are illegal to possess and should be left where found. If you find something you believe to be an ANS or a new population, report it to the Department through the online reporting form on the Department’s website, or by emailing or calling the Department."

ANS=Aquatic Nuisance Species

Think we need some of the heavy hitters to create club lakes like they do in europe.  pay a fee, carp fish all day catch and release.  

"After a fish is caught on hook and line, it is legal to return all fish to the water at the site of capture if done in no longer than the time needed to unhook, measure and/or photograph the fish immediately after being caught. Fish returned to the water should show no evidence of bleeding, be handled carefully, and not thrown or dropped. All fish released from bridges and wing walls (e.g. Garrison Dam Tailrace) must be done immediately after being placed in a fish basket/open container to ensure fish survival."

On 6/24/2018 at 7:42 PM, TXMulti-Species said:

"After a fish is caught on hook and line, it is legal to return all fish to the water at the site of capture if done in no longer than the time needed to unhook, measure and/or photograph the fish immediately after being caught. Fish returned to the water should show no evidence of bleeding, be handled carefully, and not thrown or dropped. All fish released from bridges and wing walls (e.g. Garrison Dam Tailrace) must be done immediately after being placed in a fish basket/open container to ensure fish survival."

Many thanks for posting that.  It points out a contradiction in ND fishing regulations. 

7 hours ago, RedRiverJay said:

Many thanks for posting that.  It points out a contradiction in ND fishing regulations. 

No problem, anything if it'll save a couple golden beauties.

I think the difference is ANS vs non ANS.   I'll bet that ""After a fish is caught on hook and line, ...." refers to non ANS species.