Carp Anglers Group Forums
Rex Broadbent

Catching Large Carp At The Blackstone River In RI

New member here.  I just got into carp fishing. I finally have this process figured out. Caught a snapping turtle and 2 nice mirror carp. I lost one in the weeds but they all put up a big fight. Great day fishing!  Here is my video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CWy4a2ztmU

IMG_3806.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

Those are some beautiful brutes! Great job! The "tongue" or "growth" that you're seeing is their palatal organ, which they use to separate out food particles from non-food particles. It's very hard to just catch carp as you found out with your turtles and brown bullhead. On the turtles, it's fine to drag them out of the water using their tail as their weight will still be supported somewhat by the water/ground, but when picking them up make sure to do it from the sides of the back of the shell. If you pick 'em up by their tail, you can actually break their tail and injure the animal. Everything out there deserves our respect, no matter how much of a "nuisance." Tight lines!

Snapper-hand-hold.jpg

turtlerescue-2.jpg

Great reply and info!  I always wondered what that was in a carp's mouth.   That was my first bullhead I didn't know they were in this river system.

Thank you for the advise!! I had no idea that  moving a turtle by it tail could hurt it.  I will do it the right way from now on.

Just watch out for those claws! Some good gloves can help if you're worried about it, but I've never been scratched by 'em. Bullheads are pretty much everywhere, and when you catch one, there's usually a swarm of them waiting for you to throw something else out to eat. They're very hardy just like carp, so in bad water they're the only things that are gonna be there besides carp, turtles, gar, bowfin, etc.

Kinda jealous of your mirrors tbh, I've still yet to get one of my own!

Once a snapping turtle latches on, it won't let go. I have always been told you have to crush their jaws to get loose. Any other experiences or ideas?

Never been bite by a turtle. Came close a few times.  I had a 40 pound snapper almost get me. I have only caught one common about 7 pounds we have loads of mirror carp up here.

IMG_3647.JPG

6 hours ago, (TN) Cannonball said:

Once a snapping turtle latches on, it won't let go. I have always been told you have to crush their jaws to get loose. Any other experiences or ideas?

I don't have any experience, but this guy does!

Bet it only happened once! I was taking a class in college. My mother saw a soft shell turtle along the road and picked it up.  I told her she was lucky as its neck can reach over halfway down his back. This was out in the sticks and she would have had a time with it.

Edited by (TN) Cannonball

Rex, some nice fish posted.  You will find that the Blackstone has many surprises.  I have caught a lot of bullhead or horned pout there, but I have also caught large white catfish, hybrid goldfish and even a pike while fishing for carp in the river. 

7 hours ago, Rex Broadbent said:

Thank you classiccat, it is great to be here.  Still learning how to fish for carp. 

We're all still learning Rex!!   😉 

Here is the link to the video of the 22 pound mirror. I posted it earlier but I didn't do it right

15 hours ago, KingKool said:

nice captures

Thanks! Carp are my favorite fish. Beautiful fish that always put up a great fight. 

22 hours ago, classiccat said:

We're all still learning Rex!!   😉 

Yes I agree. I plan on experimenting this weekend with different baits.   

Wow, what beautiful fish you've caught! I've been carping for years and I'm still yet to land a mirror. You're doing great, keep carp fishing!