Carp Anglers Group Forums
Carp-it-bagger

indingenous seed baits

I finally bagged my first carp(7 lbs) last weekend at a lake here in sw washington. Without hesitation I confess that it was truly the most impressive and exhilerating experience with a warm water fish. I'm a born again convert. No freshwater species pulls harder or has more endurance in my experience. I digress.

Near the location I caught my fish, I discovered some interesting seed pods on a raised clump of reed like plants near shore. I took them home to identify and believe them to be Iris pseudacorus. I believe its an invasive species here, a topic of its own but thats not what took my interest.

The seed pod or fruit of the iris is about 2-4 inches and contains thee rows of seeds The seed is round, flat, and about the same size and appearance of my corn. Im wondering if it may be of significant interest to the carp here and anxious to try some on my return.

Does anyone else have experience in this area? The only mention Ive heard for local flora carp feed on is cotton wood seed and mulberry. I'll report back if my trials are fruitful, pardon the pun.

In the meantime I fileted my catch and presently looking at recipes to prepare this evening's meal.

IMG_5046.JPG

20 hours ago, Carp-it-bagger said:

I finally bagged my first carp(7 lbs) last weekend at a lake here in sw washington. Without hesitation I confess that it was truly the most impressive and exhilerating experience with a warm water fish. I'm a born again convert. No freshwater species pulls harder or has more endurance in my experience. I digress.

Near the location I caught my fish, I discovered some interesting seed pods on a raised clump of reed like plants near shore. I took them home to identify and believe them to be Iris pseudacorus. I believe its an invasive species here, a topic of its own but thats not what took my interest.

The seed pod or fruit of the iris is about 2-4 inches and contains thee rows of seeds The seed is round, flat, and about the same size and appearance of my corn. Im wondering if it may be of significant interest to the carp here and anxious to try some on my return.

Does anyone else have experience in this area? The only mention Ive heard for local flora carp feed on is cotton wood seed and mulberry. I'll report back if my trials are fruitful, pardon the pun.

In the meantime I fileted my catch and presently looking at recipes to prepare this evening's meal.

IMG_5046.JPG

It will certainly be interesting to learn more of the outcome of that experiment with the seeds!

Welcome! Jim and Kelly Watt had a TV show, Fly Fishing Video several years ago. They were fly fishing for carp in the shallows like fishing for bonefish. The lake was somewhere in eastern Washington state but they didn't say where.

On 8/8/2018 at 5:52 AM, (TN) Cannonball said:

Welcome! Jim and Kelly Watt had a TV show, Fly Fishing Video several years ago. They were fly fishing for carp in the shallows like fishing for bonefish. The lake was somewhere in eastern Washington state but they didn't say where.

Thank you sir! I will look into the show. I'd love to see the show. Perhaps its available for viewing on the web. It was quite likely Spokane Lake but it is quite polluted in those waters and I prefer to eat my catch. I can't imagine what it would be like to hook one of these on a flyrod, even a sufficiently sized rod. I was really impressed how strong a 7 lb. carp could be. I can certainly see why carping has developed a following here. ...way behind east, south, and midwest as usual. 

The show was Fly Fishing Video Magazine. I have a video from 1996 so it is probably waaay out of date. Good luck.

Order line- 1-800-327-2893

Here are the details-

Bennett/Watt Entertainment,  Inc.

13101 244th Avenue

Issaquah, WA 98027

Edited by (TN) Cannonball