Carp Anglers Group Forums

Fall Big 4 2018 - Proposal

Savayman

After listening to the feedback from the Spring Big 4 competition the CAG BOD has voted in support of the following.

1. Starting with the Fall Big 4 2018 CAG will return to prizes being awarded to the TOP TEN BIG 4 Fish winners (i.e caught across ALL 5 regions of North America) (see prize list below).  This returns to the original format in recent years.

2. Additional Prizes will be given for the Biggest Common and Biggest Mirror

3. NEW - A Photo Plaque will be given to honor the Biggest 4 Fish winners in each of the 5 Regions (anglers will be required to indicate the state in which those fish were caught). There will no additional prizes.

4. Entry Fee will remain at $10 for the time being.

5. Date will be as follows: Fall Big 4 will run October 1st - November 15th (please see note at the bottom)*

Top Ten Prizes (based on retail value of prize or gift certificates)

1st - $300

2nd - $150

3rd - $100

4th - $75

5th - $50

6th thro' 10th - $30 each

We hope this proposal will not only recognize the honor the efforts of ALL anglers taking part but also continue to encourage anglers in regions with smaller average sized fish to take part.

* We've also received suggestions to extend the end date for the Fall Big 4 to run from Oct 1st - Nov 30th 2018. This would allow States in warmer regions a better 'window' of opportunity to catch fish as the water temps become cooler.  We believe this is a good idea and would like to go with these extended dates. 

Now it is your opportunity to speak up. We hope to announce this Fall Big 4 Format by the middle of September at the latest.

The Big 4 Regions plus Region V = Canada & Mexico

Big 4 Regions.jpg

I see a compromise here.  How about running this for 2 months.....Oct./Nov. in the fall and May/June in the spring.

The problem we have in the northeast is nasty weather in Dec. and nasty weather in early April. In some years, parts of both months are not fishable.

On 9/2/2018 at 4:29 AM, (RI) pickerd said:

I see a compromise here.  How about running this for 2 months.....Oct./Nov. in the fall and May/June in the spring.

The problem we have in the northeast is nasty weather in Dec. and nasty weather in early April. In some years, parts of both months are not fishable.

I certainly think we should make the Fall Big 4 to run Oct 1 - Nov 30th as that seems to cover all states quite well.

As for the Spring that might need to be a different scenario as the spawn in TX and other states takes place as early as mid March.

Perhaps we run a Southern State  Big 4 for March & April and Northern May & June? That way there is no overlap and for folk who want to travel they can enter both events?

Sounds like a plan to me. That would basically expand our popular Big 4 event to 3 tournaments which I think is a good thing!

The proposal described in the first post for the fall event seems an excellent compromise to me, much better balanced than the ill-formed change from last year. And yes, why not extend the event till the end of November (fishing remains excellent throughout November in most Northern states, and yes, fish will get fatter in the South by then, this sounds fine and fair). No more than 2 months though, otherwise we'd lose focus.

About separate events in the spring between north and south, this made me cringe a bit to start with, a nation-wide event really should occur at the same time for everybody, but it is certainly true that the regional conditions are very different by then, and yes, this would basically end up with 3 distinct events. Why not give it a try and see what goes. It's good to experiment a bit, as long as feedback is sought for, and the changes are well communicated ahead of time. 

The overall feedback is certainly very positive to run the Fall Big 4 October 1st - November 30th.

The Spring Big 4 is still work in progress and I've asked folk on Facebook and here to give their input on the typical 2 month spawning window for each state. Once we have the data we can make some decisions and have folk review the options.

Thanks everyone!