Carp Anglers Group Forums
Wisco Carper

Panko Pack Bait

I'm new to carp fishing and I mainly use panko, corn, and jello as a pack bait and I'm wondering if I should add boilies to it to improve it.

I've added some to mine before but I don't go too crazy with them. If I do add them I'll add about 20-25 15mm crushed boilies to my mix.  I'm probably making about 3 lb batches. Be careful if you add them right before you plan on fishing though, they will be hard and may get caught up on your hook point if you're using them on method leads. If you wait about 24 hours or more they tend to soak up some of the moisture in the mix and get kind of creamy (which I prefer) and are a bit easier to use. Ymmv. 

I sometimes add crushed or halves boilies to pack bait but usually never whole ones. They tend to fall out on the cast. 

Good luck fishing!

CarpCrazed

If you want to get whole boilies out in the same method as "the method" then I'd definitely look into using PVA. You can put whole/halved/crushed boilies in the different varieties of PVA and once it dissolves the boilies will be right around your hookbait just as if you had used packbait. Like others have said, you can always crush some up to add to your pack, but I personally prefer not to and keep my packbaits fairly consistent, typically using just one "base" ingredient such as rice, oats, or grits. Lots of people use the mix you mentioned and it works wonders but don't be afraid to explore and use different baits! There are tons of tutorials on YouTube and a quick walk down the aisle at your local supermarket can give you loads of ideas. Tight lines!

17 hours ago, TXMulti-Species said:

If you want to get whole boilies out in the same method as "the method" then I'd definitely look into using PVA. You can put whole/halved/crushed boilies in the different varieties of PVA and once it dissolves the boilies will be right around your hookbait just as if you had used packbait.

Yes, I’m a new user of PVA and I love it! You can fill it with baits you could never use on their own for a packbait, like maize or boilies. Also, I fish a river with heavy current and having pack bait around the lead makes it roll in the current. PVA solves this problem as well, because the chum is around the hook and not the weight!

The only downside to PVA is that you have to buy and prepare the bags, but I think it’s worth it.

CarpCrazed

I use glycerin, karo syrup, hemp oil, or any other flavored glug and coat the entire pva stick.  I am not a fan of the rapid break down.  pva bags, also not a big fan.  Yea they catch fish and work but I am very picky and don't like the break down of the bag.  

when nash came out with there micro mesh, it was advertised as a prolonged break down.  I did testing and it dissolved fast.  Did it in different water temps as well.  was told they were looking into another pva mesh.  But so far nothing came about.  

I will only use mesh when I am boilie fishing.  I like to grind them up and add it to my mix.  when I fish particles, pop ups, south african floaties, puffs, I go straight to my method feeder or just mold my method and or packbait around an inline lead.  Its more rapid for me as well.