Carp Anglers Group Forums
ShwaCarper

Noob - First Post

I thought I would introduce myself to the forum by giving a quick recount of my adventures the last month. I recently joined the forum, after being inspired by an idea for a bait by a member of this forum. I fished a lot as a kid but then spent the next 30 years on the West Coast. Moved back to Ontario and picked it up again this year. I got onto carp by running into an older (late 60's/early 70's) Hungarian couple carping away one day. I asked what they were fishing for, got the lowdown and away I went.

Since July 31, I've been fortunate enough to land 20+ carp, with the biggest being somewhere in the 20 lb range. I've only had 2 blanks, one being my own fault. I've fished through some of the hottest, most humid days this summer and have been rewarded handsomely for my patience. Without sounding too new-agey, there's a zen to carp fishing I really enjoy.

I've also introduced my son to the sport as well. He, too, is hooked. He was up for two days last week where we landed 7 and lost 3 (my fault. rookie mistake. crappy hooks...).

All in all, one of the best months of August I've had in a long time. And, not a 30 minute drive from my home!

IMG_6455 (600x800).jpg

IMG_6423 (768x1024).jpg

Welcome to the sport, and the forum! Jealous that you have such large fish so close by. There's definitely a peace when carp fishing, unless you're really in on them - then it's the busiest you'll likely ever be!

Thanks for the welcome. It turns out that the northern shore of Lake Ontario is an amazing carp fishery, as other forum members will attest. Within a 30 minute drive of where I live are the tributaries of 5 large creeks, each the home to large carp populations. It's funny because salmon are running up the streams right now and people are standing elbow to elbow trying to hook one. Meanwhile, I can go to my spot, pop open my lawn chair and sit undisturbed for 4-5 hours and land some really nice fish. I'm on a 3 day run, with 14 fish ranging from 12 to 22 lbs. I've got 2 more days to go so I'm hoping to get to 20 by the end of Saturday.

15 hours ago, ShwaCarper said:

Thanks for the welcome. It turns out that the northern shore of Lake Ontario is an amazing carp fishery, as other forum members will attest.

Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful sport of Carp Fishing! Glad to see you’re enjoying it. And yes, Lake Ontario has some of the best carp fishing in Canada!