Carp Anglers Group Forums
ShwaCarper

Georgia - Pay lakes, Lake Lanier etc

I'm thinking of heading down to Georgia over the winter to get away from the GTA (Toronto) winter hell. I've poked around online and there seems to be a few decent looking lakes, rivers etc but I don't know about the time of year. There's also pay lakes, which I've never done and they look fun. I'm thinking of going late January/early February for 4-5 weeks, if the action's there.

Anybody got anything? Any intelligence is better than what I have now. I'm not looking for anybody's favorite spots etc, just some experiences on carp fishing in Georgia in February. But, if you insist on providing GPS coordinates, I mean, who am I to say no, right?

Why Georgia? Why not?

Thanks!

Rick

Hold on for the latest information. There are a lot of GA carpers! Not as many paylakes as North Carolina but a lot of lakes that are fishable.

Thanks for getting back... I'm more interested in the lakes and rivers etc. The pay lake is more of a curiosity.

I'm not sure how the fish behave that far south in the winter. Up here, in Feb carp are buried under the ice, not eating at all. My mother has a koi pond and she stops feeding them when the ice forms on the surface. How's thecarp fishing there in Feb? Is there a dormant period where there's no point in fishing?

I know of people who fish the year around. CAG sponsors an event, First Fish Folly, which is a contest to see who can catch a carp from midnight, Dec. 31st to midnight, January 1st. It is surprising how many carp are caught in the northern states during that time. Surprising that people would actually fish during that time, considering the weather in some places.

I'm glad I'm not a koi in your mother's pond. I couldn't think of going all winter without something to eat.😨 Some of the GA folks will chime in here. Where will you be staying in GA? That might give some more definite information.

Edited by (TN) Cannonball

I started poking around google and came across Lake Lanier. Two things struck me about it: 1. There's carp in it (very important), and 2. I came across a video of somebody hauling a carp out at a camp site. What I think I'm going to do is set up a base camp at a camp site, start baiting a couple of spots near the camp site that I can access from the shore then go from there. If I can have one or two spots to set up for overnights as well as do some stalking, etc, I'll be tickled. I'd also like to try some river fishing, so if there's a nice river nearby, all the better.

I'm going to reach out to a couple of campsites and see if they take 3-4 week (or greater) guests. Given that it'll be in Feb/March it shouldn't be a problem. I don't have any time constraints so it can be mid Feb for 4 weeks/late Jan for 8 weeks/mid March for 5 weeks/whatever. As long as I'm catching fish, I'll stick around.

It's -13 degrees celsius ( +8 F) here today by the way.....

The key driver for me is the behavior of the carp at that time of year so any insights anybody has on that would be extremely helpful. 

Thanks in advance!

Rick

Good luck on your quest for a campground. Down here, we obviously don't get the snow that you get in Canada. I was born and raised in Ohio so snow isn't anything new to me. We get the snow in the form of rain. My father said the difference between snow and rain is that you don't have to shovel rain.😋

Edited by (TN) Cannonball