Carp Anglers Group Forums

Over the past several months we have looked at all of the comments made about the Big 4 competitions. We have made some changes to dates, upload methods and and criteria. Please ensure you have read the rules so that all of your qualifying fish are counted. After gathering feedback, from you the anglers, we have lengthened the period of the Spring Big 4 to cover the typical spawning periods across North America.  

1. To enter the competition you must be a paid up CAG member and have registered and paid your entry fee of $10.00 payable in the CAG Store for the Spring Big 4 2019 between February 1st and March 12th. No entries will be accepted if your registration or payment falls outside of these dates. Please make sure that when your entry is accepted that you then register on the CAG Leaderboard. You only have to register ONCE: if you have already registered for other events, ie Big 4 or the ATC, then all you need to do is Log in and add the Spring Big 4 2019 event to your name after you have paid your entry fee. Instructions on how to use the leaderboard can be found here:  

Leaderboard Instructions Any questions, e-mail Willem through BIG4@JOINCAG.COM

1. The Competition will run from March 15th at 0:00am until midnight on June 15th 2019. All uploads must be completed by midnight on June 15th. If you have an issue whereby the upload of an entry is not accepted by the CAG Leaderboard on June 15th you must contact Willem through BIG4@JOINCAG.COM  on June 15th and we will accept your entry and assist you in completing the entry on the following days. No upload or messages posted with a date of June 16th or beyond will count.
  2. Upload protocol must be adhered to in order to have an entry accepted. If any requirement or detail is missing the entry will not be counted. It is the Angler’s responsibility to ensure all details are entered.
  3. Only your four biggest fish of the common, mirror or leather varieties count (no grass, buffalo or other strains/breeds will be accepted). Upload the first four fish that you catch during the qualifying period. Subsequently, ONLY UPLOAD a fish if it is BIGGER than your fourth biggest fish. DO NOT UPLOAD FISH THAT ARE SMALLER THAN YOUR FOURTH BIGGEST FISH: this clogs the system and causes errors in uploads. This competition is about four big fish only not the total quantity of fish caught during the competition.
  4. Captures should be updated within 24 hours of capture.
  5. Required details: Your Upload must include the following: (1)Trophy Photo of you, the captor, with the fish, the scales used to weigh the fish, the Spring Big 4 logo for 2019 visible in black and white or color; (2) the exact weight of the fish in lbs and ozs; (3) the State in which the fish was caught. Photo sizes are a maximum of 2mb. Please ensure you enter date and time of capture in the comments section under the photo.  All Anglers must be in possession of the corresponding State Fishery License and all fish must be caught on legal rod and line methods and returned safely without harm.
  6. The Spring Big 4 2019 logo will be available for download in a separate thread from the date of the opening of the Competition. 
  7. Prizes will be awarded to the Anglers finishing in the first 10 places which will be determined  as the aggregate of that Anglers best four fish caught within the rules and during the period March 15th 0:00am until June 15th Midnight. There will be prizes awarded for Biggest Common and Biggest Mirror. Additional recognition awards will be made to the captors of the individual biggest fish in the 5 regional areas. 
  8. Images must be clear. (See notes below). The fish, angler, scales and logo must all be in focus and clearly visible. 
  9. For the first 48 hours only entries will be accepted where the CAG Spring Big 4 Logo is on a cell phone or iPad or similar any of which must be in the photo. This will be acceptable only for fish caught on March 15th and March 16th allowing everyone time to print the required paper version. 

Some pointers and suggestions for photos.

The Big 4 Logo is only 3.75 x 2.75 inches. This is the size of many state/provincial fishing and hunting licenses. You can therefore put your logo in a standard license holder from any tackle shop, and pin it on your clothes, or even your unhooking mat. You can also print out a larger version to ensure good visibility. Enclose your logo in a zip lock bag or get it laminated to prevent it getting wet or damaged.

When taking the photo have the fish close to your body/over the thigh/knee area and over a suitable un-hooking mat. This allows you to keep proper control of the fish. The fish, angler, scales and logo must all be in focus. When taking the picture do not zoom in to just have angler and fish. Zooming in reduces the pixilation count on the photo and reduces the quality of the photo. Winners photos will be used for magazines and the biggest regional fish photos will be used for awards. Maximum size of photo is 2mb.

Uploading photos to the Leaderboard

The leaderboard allows a maximum image size of 2mb. If your photo is larger than this try the following: Email the image to yourself and it should give you several image size options. Once you’ve selected the required image size (you don’t actually need to send the email) you can save the attached image. PLEASE be sure to save the image with a new name otherwise you risk over-writing the original! 

I must be blind or just dumb.

I cannot find the online Leaderboard to register

Help please????

Leaderboard is not set up just yet.  We are still doing some updates and will give everyone a heads up when it is open to register.

Hi Nathan,

The rules state you must have the logo on a cell phone in the picture of you and the fish/scale for the first 48 hours. That would require a person to have another cell phone to take a picture of the logo on a cell phone...................am I missing something here? I can print the logo within minutes of it being on line.........but I can't get another phone........:wacko:...MO..

On 2/9/2019 at 3:40 PM, (MO) MOCarper said:

Hi Nathan,

The rules state you must have the logo on a cell phone in the picture of you and the fish/scale for the first 48 hours. That would require a person to have another cell phone to take a picture of the logo on a cell phone...................am I missing something here? I can print the logo within minutes of it being on line.........but I can't get another phone........:wacko:...MO..

No... you can always have your printed version in the photo. We are re-writing the rule to clarify that for the FIRST 48 hours only you can ALSO display the logo on a mobile device. This is to allow folk who don't have access to a printer (perhaps because they are already bankside) in that time period an opportunity to post results.  

quick question , if i register in one state but catch some fish in another how does that work if its in a different zone?

I would think that the title for this Post should read   " Rules for the Big 4".   not just  "Rules"  I almost did not read this.    

Just a thought...…….

Thanks

Todd

21 hours ago, petew said:

quick question , if i register in one state but catch some fish in another how does that work if its in a different zone?

The overall Big 4 Results for places & prizes 1 - 10 apply to fish caught ANYWHERE in North America.

The Leader Board will ask you to indicate which State you caught your fish. This will identify the Regional Award winners.

Hope this answers your question.

In order to clarify matters Rule 10 has been updated as follows. 

10. For the first 48 hours only we will also accept entries (in addition to a printed version) where the CAG Spring Big 4 Logo is clearly visible on a cell phone or iPad or similar any of which must be in the photo. Th is will be acceptable only for fish caught on March 15th and March 16th allowing everyone time to print the required paper version.

6 hours ago, (MD) Mad Chummer said:

Is there link to the logo and leaderboard?

The logo is posted immediately before the start of the Big 4.

The Leader Board Software is in the process of being updated and we hope it will be ready in time. If not we will create an interim measure so folk can post their captures and then add them to the leader board as soon as it is up and running. 

On 1/31/2019 at 3:30 AM, Philip nathan said:

Captures should be updated within 24 hours of capture.

I do appreciate (and agree with) the intent of this rule, but 24 hours is a little harsh. When traveling around, you often hit areas where proper Internet access (allowing to upload pictures) is hard to get. Some folks fishing big reservoirs for several days in a row (Dale Hollow comes to mind) may not have any access at all. Etc.

Maybe relax a bit this rule? I'd suggest to play a bit on 'should' vs 'must', e.g.

Captures SHOULD be reported within 48 hours of capture. They MUST be reported within one week of capture.

I like Jeromes suggestion here.  I also like the change in having some timeline to encourage earlier uploading, not waiting until the very end to unveil the big fish that have hit the bank.  Although I suspect some of the late posting is to allow them more opportunities on the big fish if it it is a well known area that may draw more competition if big fish are showing early.  

I do think Jerome's suggestion is reasonable.

I report my catches right away, but I can understand the problems some people could have with Internet access.

On 3/9/2019 at 6:57 AM, Jerome said:

I do appreciate (and agree with) the intent of this rule, but 24 hours is a little harsh. When traveling around, you often hit areas where proper Internet access (allowing to upload pictures) is hard to get. Some folks fishing big reservoirs for several days in a row (Dale Hollow comes to mind) may not have any access at all. Etc.

Maybe relax a bit this rule? I'd suggest to play a bit on 'should' vs 'must', e.g.

Captures SHOULD be reported within 48 hours of capture. They MUST be reported within one week of capture.

I think 5 or 7 days is reasonable. Phil is currently travelling back from the UK and we will review and confirm tomorrow.

I like the 5-7 days. Keeps it timely, and..................I likes seeing the fish!!!... :D

I'm a fan of 5 days max myself, people can blur backgrounds and such these days,  golfers cant submit scorecards the monday after the final round LMAO how ridiculous would that be? Also sidebar :  if people hold off until the last day to post fish they squirreled away for months, it will turn myself and a lot of people off.