Carp Anglers Group Forums

Need my fishing fix is my YouTube channel, I just started as I always thought I was alone fishing for the queen of the lake. I have been here in Utah fishing for carp for a little bit. But there is a huge stigma that surrounds this beautiful fish. I joined CAG in the hopes of finding more cart fisherman like myself in Utah. I have dedicated a YouTube channel to fishing in Utah for these beautiful fish. People think I'm crazy, but clearly I'm not the only one in the United States fishing 4 something that fights as hard as a saltwater fish. If you live in Utah join my channel send comments help me squash the stigma. I am not doing this to make money off of YouTube as I am not monetized. I just would love to see more carp fisherman out there and I would love to change the rules in Utah regarding pack bait feeder tackle and anything else they consider chumming.

Edited by need my fishing fix YT
add channel

The more of us there are in Utah the better.

Chumming has always sounded a bit harsh to me so I can see why the DWR are reluctant.

If we use words like "Ground baiting" or "Method" fishing and explain they are Carp fishing terms and methods then rules may be relaxed in the future.

If you want any help with talking to the DWR then get in contact with me and we can try it together.

Best regards and see you on the bank soon.

Hmmm. We can't "chum" or put out any kind of bait to attract fish as carp but we can use a spinnerbait or buzzbait using noise to attract bass. We can put a night crawler on a hook to attract fish but can't throw a handful of nightcrawlers in the water which would be construed as "chumming."

What are the laws in Utah for attracting big game as elk, bear, or deer using scents or bait? Look at all the scents on the market the next time you are in a sporting goods store that deals with big game hunting. In Tennessee, you can put out corn or some such to attract deer but has to be removed two weeks before hunting season. Oh yes, forgot- you can use a decoy and calls to attract turkeys. Chumming is an ambiguous term, IMHO.

Edited by (TN) Cannonball

We used to get around that by regularly casting out loose method balls or cage feeders at the start of a session every 5 minutes or so. Nothing illegal about that guv'nor 😉

Sorry, but I have to disagree with the estimable Swansea Steve. Here in Colorado, the official regulations define chumming in this fashion:

CHUMMING is placing fish, parts of fish or other feeding material in the waters for the purpose of attracting fish to a particular area in order that they might be taken. This does not include fishing with baited hooks or live traps.

So, in my state the act of "regularly casting out loose method balls or cage feeders at the start of a session every 5 minutes or so" would definitely be considered a violation.

I fish with a method feeder and a hair rig with the hook embedded in the pack bait, so I consider that I'm fishing with a baited hook, and therefore not chumming. I've had some people question whether wildlife enforcement would agree with my interpretation, but I have not yet been contacted while fishing, so I can't answer that question

Having spoken multiple times, in person and via email, with Colorado Parks and Wildlife representatives; multiple casting, every 5 minutes, with packbaits, is CHUMMING. Casting out packbait, without your hook in the packbait, (to meet the ;etter of the written regulations at least) is CHUMMING. Tossing out a softball sized huge monster ball of packbait, depth charging the water, is likely going to be considered CHUMMING. We as carp anglers here in Colorado should at least "try" to practice a modicum of sensibility with regards to our use of pack/method bait techniques. As always to anyone fishing here in Colorado, be mindful of your surroundings and whom may be watching you. Some CPW officials will still say just using a method feeder, is chumming, some will say it's perfectly fine. It perhaps comes down to how they see you using the method mix/packbait and your intent. Just be mindful out there. The place you are most likely to get a ticket nowadays, would be Chatfield Reservoir and lakes in the Littleton area; the CPW District Wildlife Manager for that zone is very "enthusiastic" on this topic ! 

Good old Colorado ! 

Feeding imaginary ducks will get you real ticket. Or a trip to the psychiatrist.

CPW frowns on feeding wildlife of any sort, so even literally "feeding the ducks" would get you a ticket.

So John, I fish a pack bait with my hook embedded in it. It's never softball size, just what I can pack into the contours of the lead with my hands. Maybe elongated ping pong ball size. I cast out and let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes. If it hasn't gotten any interest by then, I reel in and cast out in a slightly different spot.I can't see any way this could be considered chumming, but would love to hear your evaluation based on your conversations with wildlife officials.

My question regarding chumming is if the substance/material isn't attached to the hook in any way. I'm an hunter education instructor and I get questions about hunting regulations. Had one student call the regional office and got certain info. Found out that it was wrong. Tennessee doesn't have any regulations regarding chumming or the number of rods you can use. Some of the trout waters have regulations for delayed harvest, number of hooks which do allow a fly and dropper, hours to fish, etc. You can check the regulations at www.tnwildlife.org, go to "Fishing" and pull up the fishing regulations guide. I carry a fishing or hunting regulations guide with me at all times. Working with the TWRA for 19 years,  I have numerous contacts so a call  or text to the top staff will get an accurate answer. I also note who I talked to so if questioned, more than likely they outrank the  wildlife officer.

On 5/6/2019 at 9:31 AM, michaelpthompson said:

CPW frowns on feeding wildlife of any sort, so even literally "feeding the ducks" would get you a ticket.

So John, I fish a pack bait with my hook embedded in it. It's never softball size, just what I can pack into the contours of the lead with my hands. Maybe elongated ping pong ball size. I cast out and let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes. If it hasn't gotten any interest by then, I reel in and cast out in a slightly different spot.I can't see any way this could be considered chumming, but would love to hear your evaluation based on your conversations with wildlife officials.

Michael, I wish I had a better answer for you. It's sad to say, that a lot is going to depend on the particular wildlife officer you encounter. Some will say it's fine, "hey, that's like a dough ball we used to use for catfish", others are going to not be so accommodating. 100%, if they see you casting out in quick succession, repeatedly, they are going to ticket you for chumming. We fish the Tight Line Outdoors, Carp Tournaments each year here in Colorado. At the rules meeting, they are pretty consistent in stating, packbait is ok, but, in moderation with no repeated casting, so long as your hook is embedded in the pack. TLO have to get a permit from CPW to hold the events. Tightline have also had CPW threaten to turn up once to a night tourney, in force and ticket everyone in the tournament for chumming by the use of packbait; which they eventually did not do. I believe TLO contacted the District Wildlife manager and complained to them about it all. The most enthusiastic officers are at Chatfield Reservoir, we have had them watch us with binoculars, from afar, to ensure we weren't doing anything illegal. My thoughts, as I said before, just be mindful of your surroundings, if you are using packbait, don't leave it out in plain sight with the ground littered in oats and corn in front of you, and refer to it as a dough bait, if asked. 

100% feeding wildlife in Colorado, ducks included, is going to get you a ticket that far more $$$ than simply one for chumming. CPW are VERY aggressive to people feeding stuff here.

Here is a link to an article that I had to write, and send to CPW, regarding carp baits and chumming in Colorado, after they mistakenly accused me of promoting illegal fishing techniques in Colorado. Seems they had me mixed up with some cat fishing folks and drifting chum bags of blood with hooks, behind their boats. Took me months and a few phone calls to get that all sorted out. I am not the only Colorado CAG State Chair to have had bust-ups with CPW over the years ! 

http://carpquest.org/local-info/colorado-rules-clarification-for-use-of-packbaits-in-carp-fishing/

In the end, myself and CPW still disagreed slightly !!!

Best of luck,
John

Edited by (CO) JohnFinney

Chumming, prebaiting, etc, is legal for fishing. Nothing in the regulations to prohibit it. You can go through the guide for the legal and illegal methods for fishing. The same website will also have the latest hunting regulations.

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/twra/documents/fishguide.pdf

Cannonball, read back a few posts for context. In Colorado, chumming is specifically defined and PROHIBITED by our state fishing regulations. That's why it's important to check state and local laws and regs. What may be perfectly allowable in Tennessee will get you a stiff fine from a very disapproving wildlife officer in Colorado. E.G., I have gotten a lot of great advice from YouTube on carp fishing methods, but I have to ignore a fair portion of it because it's illegal in my state.

On 5/10/2019 at 5:53 PM, (CO) JohnFinney said:

Here is a link to an article that I had to write, and send to CPW, regarding carp baits and chumming in Colorado, after they mistakenly accused me of promoting illegal fishing techniques in Colorado. Seems they had me mixed up with some cat fishing folks and drifting chum bags of blood with hooks, behind their boats. Took me months and a few phone calls to get that all sorted out. I am not the only Colorado CAG State Chair to have had bust-ups with CPW over the years ! 

http://carpquest.org/local-info/colorado-rules-clarification-for-use-of-packbaits-in-carp-fishing/

Well written article John, thanks.

Makes sense. One of the guys I follow on YouTube is in Virginia. I'm often jealous when he spends five days prebaiting a spot, puts out 6 or eight rods, etc. In Colorado, I can have one rod, except if I buy a second rod stamp, I can have two. And chumming or baiting is strictly illegal.

It's nice to know we are such a widespread, even international community.

Michael, ironically, the couple of times i've been to places where "chumming" is legal, I did not really catch more fish. First time was in KS, a two day and night affair, though plenty of chum was thrown in, all we ended up on the line were lots, and lots, and yet even more, catfish ! The second time was fishing back in the UK last year. The wildlife ate nearly all my free offerings catapulted out during the day, was hideous seeing the birds, like vultures, swooping down, diving, to eat it all. I eventually did get some fish on the bank, though that was using a modified method/pack mix and corn on a stringer on the hair. Yes, I would love to be able to pre-bait some spots here in Colorado, alas, not happening, not legal and not sure it would really be productive given the public and well known spots I am fishing.

Footnote: I would highly recommend using liquids and glugs for your baits here in Colorado !  plenty of options out there....

On 5/18/2019 at 8:32 AM, (CO) JohnFinney said:

Footnote: I would highly recommend using liquids and glugs for your baits here in Colorado !  plenty of options out there....

Thanks for the info John. Actually, I did recently obtain some Mega Tutti Frutti glug from Ken Hutchinson and started using it on my pack bait. Only one trip with it so far, but I'll keep trying.

On 5/18/2019 at 8:32 AM, (CO) JohnFinney said:

Michael, ironically, the couple of times i've been to places where "chumming" is legal, I did not really catch more fish. First time was in KS, a two day and night affair, though plenty of chum was thrown in, all we ended up on the line were lots, and lots, and yet even more, catfish ! The second time was fishing back in the UK last year. The wildlife ate nearly all my free offerings catapulted out during the day, was hideous seeing the birds, like vultures, swooping down, diving, to eat it all. I eventually did get some fish on the bank, though that was using a modified method/pack mix and corn on a stringer on the hair. Yes, I would love to be able to pre-bait some spots here in Colorado, alas, not happening, not legal and not sure it would really be productive given the public and well known spots I am fishing.

Hmmm....I have caught a carp in January with a single plastic corn hookbait just hurled to the center of an 80 acre lake. Matt Hayes caught Mary at 44lbs the same way. Does that mean I feel confident about it? Nope. I've caught plenty too on method, however the vast majority came over varying beds of baits. Whatever guess I'm stuck with what I can do in Co.... certainly tests ones creativity. To that end some questions

Where can I get dried molasses in Denver area? Tried Tractor supply etc. No luck.

Have the panel used crushed trout pellet in packbait? I'm guessing it attracts catfish well.

What calf milk replacer do you recommend? Used Lamlac back home but don't want to pay through the nose for it.

Tight lines😎

2 hours ago, Swansea Steve said:

Where can I get dried molasses in Denver area? Tried Tractor supply etc. No luck.

They have it on Walmart.com. I think you can order it and have it delivered to your local store; perhaps even your home.

3 hours ago, michaelpthompson said:

They have it on Walmart.com. I think you can order it and have it delivered to your local store; perhaps even your home.

Thanks, will try that. Wacker has it cheaper but the postage makes it the same price lol 😂 😂

Milk replacement, I just use dried milk powder from the big box stores, SamsClub here, I'm sure Costo also has its. When I am feeling flush with $$$ I actually use condensed or evaporated milk in my pack, creates a bit of a cloud. When I use molasses its liquid form, from the grocery aisle, that or dark karo syrup.

I do find any type of high fish meal content certainly can attract the catfish, or worse, crayfish, caught a few nice cats over the years. Ironically I have done well lately with some baits infused with krill. Sometimes I add a tin of tuna to the pack as well. Endless possibilities!