Carp Anglers Group Forums
michaelpthompson

Pack Bait gone bad?

OK, this probably sounds a bit weird, but I made up some pack bait out of canned corn, strawberry jello, and bread crumbs. I haven't had a lot of time for fishing, so I have only used part of it. I kept it in the car, since the temps were pretty low, but we've had a few warm days now, and I spotted a bit of mold on it yesterday. Only a little, but it made me wonder. I know carp and catfish can and will eat decaying vegetation. Will slightly "off" bait turn them off, or make them sick, or something? Can I continue using this another day or two, or should I pitch it and make a new batch?

Any advice appreciated.

I cannot speak to the effect on their digestion, but it will not turn them off one bit. I've used soured method and hook baits many times with success.

slightly spoiled, by human standards, is just fine for carp...  or, even, desired

some intentionally long-soak dry corn/grains/legumes until rancid

go ahead & use yours (or even freeze it), but bring other "fresh"  bait options, in case that day...

I have a somewhat opposite view-I catch more carp on fresh panko mix than fermented- I noticed a trend so I switched to the fermented panko and my catch rate dropped, so, when it smells like alcohol, I pitch it...........sometimes I'll make chum out of it as I don't think it deters carp, just doesn't attract them......

I recall carp anglers talking of what they describes as vomit mix. I guess it's a horrid mix used to spod. The name should tell the whole story.

I've fished with fresh, aged and even rather fermented packbait; all seem to work well. I do draw the line at mouldy bait, more from a personal revulsion to sticking my hands into and packing such a concoction that it's lack of effectiveness. 😷 I often make up multiple bags of packbait at a time, storing it in the fridge between sessions. Lasts easy a few weeks though can dry out a little; either adding some water from the lake or more creamed corn when ready to use again.

John