Carp Anglers Group Forums

I went out fishing today for the first time this year. I had prebaited yesterday and showed up at the same time again today. Heavy storms were rolling in and the air pressure was extremely low, 29.3! I was very confident in catching fish: Overcast skies, light rain on a quiet shallow bay isolated from the main river current... sounds perfect, right?

Not only did I end in a blank, but the most confusing part was that the carp were showing all over my swim near the surface. They weren’t spawning, as water temps are only 55F, but they were jumping often and their tails were sticking out of the water that was deep enough for them to avoid it. They seemed active but were not feeding (at least, not on my rigs :) ) .

Any ideas as to why they may have behaved like this? I normally observe this sort of thing on a high pressure front, on a cloudless and hot sunny day. Maybe a zig would have worked?

I've seen that when they're surface-feeding on a hatch, or post-mating insect die-off...  the only way I could get action, was to put a bait within 6" of the surface, well ahead of their predicted path

seems a bit early for that, unless you were a few States south of NJ

Good time for a fly rod!

Edit- adding video. Someone had told me the name of the background music. Please answer again as I can use it for Power Point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnIvE8o24HM&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0ctBf3FRo-AClZcrWxWS-Dyft_9t-yPe9IaclkvMeKzWzf5myxMimJmGA

Edited by (TN) Cannonball

2 hours ago, philaroman said:

I've seen that when they're surface-feeding on a hatch, or post-mating insect die-off...  the only way I could get action, was to put a bait within 6" of the surface, well ahead of their predicted path

seems a bit early for that, unless you were a few States south of NJ

I was in south NJ on the Delaware river. We’ve had a really hot spring, the hatch probably happened early. How long does it last? I don’t want them to be distracted by the hatch and avoid my baits! I’m planning on baiting up with maize daily this Thursday through Sunday. Is it possible that a baiting campaign could get them feeding on the bottom again?

Sorry to be long winded; I’m planning a long session next week and would love it if I didn’t blank!

2 hours ago, (TN) Cannonball said:

Good time for a fly rod!

Edit- adding video. Someone had told me the name of the background music. Please answer again as I can use it for Power Point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnIvE8o24HM&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0ctBf3FRo-AClZcrWxWS-Dyft_9t-yPe9IaclkvMeKzWzf5myxMimJmGA

That’s exactly how the fish were behaving! Sucking the surface, tail slapping and jumping. I do think a fly rod would have been very effective.

Had nearly the same experience last two nights-carp rolling, jumping all around the area i baited (and no where else i saw)-caught two channel cats and I had numerous pick-ups and short runs but no fish first night. Last night had no fish but rolling carp, jumping carp, etc. Freaked me out so much I changed hair rigs thinking I tied -em wrong!, and................nothing......very frustrating!. I went back tonight (3rd night of chumming as well) and had one hit and run and landed a 13-2! (on the same hair I had been using) and that was the only one- just before thunderstorms moved in...(though it shows it, it isn't a Big Four fish)..........that's carpin!!...  :)

CAG Big Four Spring 2019 13lb 2 oz.JPG