Carp Anglers Group Forums

Used to fish for carp as a teenager, but wanting to try my hand many years later. Found this forum today and had to join. I’m close to three big rivers, Mississippi, Missouri, and Meramec, and have several big public lakes worth trying. Anyone here from Saint Louis?

Hi Nanook!

Yes, I grew up in St. Louis, but live in Kansas City, Missouri. WELCOME!!! Refreshing to see another CAG member!. I can tell you the Busch Wildlife area in St. Charles has fish up to 30lbs in lake 33; though I have never fished it. (I do go on mostly wild goose chases across the state whenever someone says they see 20-40lb fish in this lake/that lake :)). The Missouri and Mississippi are full of carp-just watch the flooding we seem to have every spring-any backwater is going to have carp.  I have not fished the Meramec for carp. I have fished sunfish lake and spanish lake in North County- fish in the teens, and has buffalo, but nothing larger but haven't fished them numerous times. Creve couer, Mallard lake in south St. Louis county hold plenty of fish, including grass carp into the 20s, but that's about all I really know. I am planning a "Tournament of Inches" sometime this year-it is difficult to find enough carpers who will travel-Missouri is a large state, so a central location would make more sense, but I've had relatively poor success around the Columbia area and have been contemplating having it as an internet competition.....

If you make it up to Kansas City on occasion, there are numerous venues around here-I like fishing the creeks-they are full of carp up to 21lbs-much denser, stronger and longer than lake fish!

Anyway, please keep in touch!-this is a great forum and there are numerous expert carpers here- you will learn a lot from some of the best in the world!!!!........Kirk

CAG Big Four Spring 2019 20-10.JPG

Well, Howdy! Great to see a Missourian here!

I was reading about the lakes at Busch and 33 was going to be my first target. I’ve fished it many years ago and caught many big fish. I’ve lost a few rods and reels in the Mississippi River to massive fish taking off with my bait. I’ve also caught many 20 plus pounders in that river. Those fish are super strong too.

This time, I’m a gimpy guy so access is going to be an issue, I can’t walk super far due to a back and leg injury, but I’m pretty sure I can get to a decent spot or two. I’m also a bit wiser thanks to you tube videos with cats and carp guy and the hair rig. I’d never heard of that before but have bought several from big carp tackle and I’ll be tying my own after I see how the Korda samples look. 

I ordered a couple Daiwa 4000 BR reels and a couple 12 foot rods by Fox, the Warrior rods on sale for $88. I’m hoping they will be funner than my 6 foot rods and Zebco Omega 1 reels I’ve used for years. 

Ive never chummed or used Method sinkers before, so looking forward to trying some bait making and finding the big ones. I bought a bunch of Boilies too, so I need to try them too. Do you chum with Boilies at all?

ill post some pictures of my ugly mug with a carp as soon as I can. I typically work weekends but am free during the week a lot. Queeny Park and Wilmore Park are close and have some big carp too. 

That fish looks to be 25 pounds? Nice score! 

Ive been a catch and release trout fisherman for years but wading just isn’t possible these days. Nothing more exciting than haggling with monster carp and I’ve fished for everything here in Missouri. I’m not a fan of 90 degree sunshine and humidity, but I’ll be trying my luck on cooler, cloudy days.

Nice to hear that! Naw, I haven't chummed with boilies, though I've had some success with homemade boilies. I do chum boiled corn with canned corn.....I've never fished for carp at lake 33; there are inumerable venues in the state and we have a very strong department of conservation.........I'll take the limitations in consideration when we fish!...........I'll try to get a fishin organized this year some time!......... Here's the only fish of the night- a 21-0!....the other was a 20-10.............send me some pics!!

MOCarper

CAG Big Four Spring 2019 21lbs 925 May 4.JPG

16 hours ago, Nanook said:

That fish looks to be 25 pounds? Nice score! 

Ive been a catch and release trout fisherman for years but wading just isn’t possible these days. Nothing more exciting than haggling with monster carp and I’ve fished for everything here in Missouri. I’m not a fan of 90 degree sunshine and humidity, but I’ll be trying my luck on cooler, cloudy days.

Wife brought up the weather factor this spring. We decided we would get up, grab a quick bite and a cup of joe, drain the puppies and fish until around lunch when the temps start to rise.

Edited by (TN) Cannonball

Do you guys/gals use bite alarms?

I didn't up until 2 years ago, and now almost exclusively-gives you more freedom to roam a little. I have simple bite alarms and remote alarms, but the latter are not as sensitive/bulkier in my opinion......................

I ordered a couple Delkim $70 alarms. Not sure I’ll need them but figured what the heck:) I’ll need a cart to haul everything.

I got three Sonik Dominator rods and a couple Daiwa BR reels. 

How do you post photos here? Tapatalk?

I tried uploading my 3” bluegill but the file was too large.

I look like the Gordon Fisherman, according to my wife.

I’m trying!

9B0F0B2C-C299-494C-9ED3-16284AD86675.jpeg

patience  grasshopper..............carp will come...........  :)

My only catch in five hours, besides gnats harassing my ears and eyeballs

62294836-3566-4542-8612-A838F874ED67.jpeg

My gnat removal method worked, but I only brought one stogie.

C1D2C79A-6434-4893-8C9C-BD6BDEC1F531.jpeg

I bet if I went back there today I’d catch a carp, but I’m old and tired and it’s going to storm again.

1 hour ago, Nanook said:

My only catch in five hours, besides gnats harassing my ears and eyeballs

At least something was biting a lot. Rather it be a carp, though. One is more than zero!

On 5/4/2019 at 9:39 PM, Nanook said:

I’m not a fan of 90 degree sunshine and humidity, but I’ll be trying my luck on cooler, cloudy days.

fishin's the opposite of work, LOL

5-9AM quickies (or just, NIGHT) works best for me, when daytime even approaches 90*F

...actually, 5AM is too late -- you should be cast out & sitting comfortably, waiting for a bite, at 1st hint of dawn

(set up w/ a headlamp)

Caught one catfish in my four hour visit to the lake. Lost one fish that felt decent. Not sure if the Korda DF carp rig is working with my method weight. Using panko crumbs, strawberry jello, corn and creamed corn.

Im going to chum the water a bit tonight and try again tomorrow for a few hours.

54CC5C36-5AFB-4FC9-8D41-47E53CF433EB.jpeg

A208FABF-57CF-429E-9E9D-0378E0E14697.jpeg

That Blue Heron passed by the next bush on the left, then flew off after seeing my rods and it’s wing really set off my Delkim;)

How big is that lake, and does it have a feeder stream? If it's a pond, it may not have carp. If it does....................................patience. You might also try at night............good luck!   MO