Carp Anglers Group Forums

Hail fellows etc.  After a couple of short and fruitless sessions on Mann Nyholt it would appear the carp are waking up after all that dumb weather. Had 8 today, all lovely pristine hard fighting low to mid doubles, including the 17lb below. All came from the point swim about 20 yards out . They were clearly visible swimming about the margins and seemed enamoured of my first packbait attempt using corn and tiger nuts. Boilies were studiously ignored. A lovely half day on a lovely little lake. 😁

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

In case you were wondering, my sparkling new set up is 2 Fox x3 rods in 12ft 3lb tc and Daiwa Regal 5000s. I am really impressed with the rods, which perform just as well as my old Greys XFlites at a considerably lower price. Highly recommend them.

The green slimy stuff isn't my fault.

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Nice fish and setup! I’ve been wanting to get out there but my schedule has been nutty and all the rain and road closures are making it even tougher. What kind of camera setup do you take the picture with?

My phone propped up by a rock.

It's very technical 😂

Thanks for the report and photos! A good day. It's odd how carp will take one bait and ignore another. My luck is that they ignore all my baits. Surprised that people don't blame carp for the green stuff.

13 hours ago, Swansea Steve said:

Hail fellows etc.  After a couple of short and fruitless sessions on Mann Nyholt it would appear the carp are waking up after all that dumb weather. Had 8 today, all lovely pristine hard fighting low to mid doubles, including the 17lb below. All came from the point swim about 20 yards out . They were clearly visible swimming about the margins and seemed enamoured of my first packbait attempt using corn and tiger nuts. Boilies were studiously ignored. A lovely half day on a lovely little lake. 😁

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

CO carp haven't spawned yet from the looks of that one eh?...good job!..........  MO

7 hours ago, (MO) MOCarper said:

CO carp haven't spawned yet from the looks of that one eh?...good job!..........  MO

They've only just woken up as far as I know. We've had a crazy spring last month with low temps,  snow and rain, so the water has only just warmed up this past week or so. We're getting the post hibernation munchies spell.

8 hours ago, (TN) Cannonball said:

Thanks for the report and photos! A good day. It's odd how carp will take one bait and ignore another. My luck is that they ignore all my baits. Surprised that people don't blame carp for the green stuff.

I fished 2 rods apart on either side of a point swim. All the action came from the left rod with only one dropped run on the right which had the boilies. Changing it to packbait made no difference so I think it was more a location issue. 😎

Edited by Swansea Steve
Sp

The Fairgrounds can be a harsh mistress. Super congrats on your catches there, top stuff !   We have found, over the many years fishing there, location is everything. Just 5-10 yards off the "spot" they chose to feed makes all the difference. Crazy place, yet, the rewards are worth the effort ! Well done ! Many carp at the Fairgrounds were spawning about 2 weeks ago, though some have still yet to finish up.

I spent yesterday there, fishing and with my brother over from the UK doing some wildlife photography. 3 of us fished the point most of the day, results were varied, with most catches coming either early morning, just after dawn, right of the point, or throughout the day, straight of the point. Bite really turned on after the thunderstorms rolled through around 5pm. Fish fell to either super-sized corn/maize (Ryan 7 fish), boilies and pop-ups (Andrew 3 fish) or for me, pop-ups (9 fish), all 3 of us also deployed packbaits of one flavor or another...

The fish all fought like crazed maniacs, ton of fun !

Edited by (CO) JohnFinney

7 minutes ago, (CO) JohnFinney said:

The Fairgrounds can be a harsh mistress. Super congrats on your catches there, top stuff !   We have found, over the many years fishing there, location is everything. Just 5-10 yards off the "spot" they chose to feed makes all the difference. Crazy place, yet, the rewards are worth the effort ! Well done ! Many carp at the Fairgrounds were spawning about 2 weeks ago, though some have still yet to finish up.

I spent yesterday there, fishing and with my brother over from the UK doing some wildlife photography. 3 of us fished the point most of the day, results were varied, with most catches coming either early morning, just after dawn, right of the point, or throughout the day, straight of the point. Bite really turned on after the thunderstorms rolled through around 5pm. Fish fell to either super-sized corn/maize (Ryan 7 fish), boilies and pop-ups (Andrew 3 fish) or for me, pop-ups (9 fish), all 3 of us also deployed packbaits of one flavor or another...

Thanks, I was beginning to think it was just me! My packbait seems to be a goer, I had a run just as I was setting the indicator on one cast. They switched off a bit mid afternoon but I had to leave then anyway. Looking forward to a summer vacation of carping 😎