Jump to content
Carp Anglers Group Forums
Swansea Steve

Chatfield cherry popped

Recommended Posts

First fishing trip to Chatfield today. First fish 15lb common to oat packbait/ ccmoore live system bottom bait with plastic corn topper. Lost the next one then bingo, first US mirror for me at 16lb. Couldn't ask for a better start.😁

 

IMG_20190708_093815363.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 fish so far, including this stunning 15lb carp which at first I thought was just another common. Boy was I glad to be wrong 😁

IMG_20190708_162131899.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All in all a very happy camper, although I did lose 4 in the weed. Better than I expected for a first day and only decided to pack up when a howling storm blew in and uprooted my brolly from the front. Had it not been for a couple of trees it would have ended up in Oz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back today, two runs dropped including a Korda size 6 getting bent out of shape on a screaming run😨 then finally get a nice mid double.

Hotter than a monkeys bum out here today your majesty😎

 

IMG_20190710_112727715.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Way to go Steve ! 

I love fishing Chatfield, arguably one of the best trophy carp fisheries in Colorado. So thankful the road/bridge is now open down by Kingfisher for access from West to East side. Looking forwards to them finally opening up Roxborough Cove and the new area by Plum Creek. Place can be a bit of a "zoo" though, I am amazed to see a picture without paddle boarders, kayaks of folks swimming in the background ! :blammo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, (CO) JohnFinney said:

Way to go Steve ! 

I love fishing Chatfield, arguably one of the best trophy carp fisheries in Colorado. So thankful the road/bridge is now open down by Kingfisher for access from West to East side. Looking forwards to them finally opening up Roxborough Cove and the new area by Plum Creek. Place can be a bit of a "zoo" though, I am amazed to see a picture without paddle boarders, kayaks of folks swimming in the background ! :blammo:

Thanks John

Back there today. Actually not that bad, alot of boats about but that's no problem as their surf feeds the fish. Had 5 out on Wednesday but lost a few in the weed 😠 Fishing further up towards the beach area for a short session. First run was a Bass! At least I haven't blanked then😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had some success this earlier year from Eagle Cove in one of the TLO Tournaments for Carp, this used to be a solid area for producing the fish. Tried a bit later Catfish Flats, that didn't go so well, should be renamed "No Fish Flats". I know a few folks tried around Masey Draw with a little success. Fox Run and other locations up the West side used to be good, haven't fished them in a while. The most success we had last year was from the East Bank, down to the south, from the North Marina. Alas now, with all the construction, getting to those spots can be challenging; they certainly didn't improve fisherman access with all their work ! If/when fishing the east side, watch out for the ledge/drop off, about 25-30 yards off the bank, goes down from about 7-9 feet of water, to 18-20 feet, the carp love to run off and over that ledge, easy to get cutoff. Kingfisher and the Paddle Board (Gravel Pits) are now open. We fished Kingfisher the other week, produced some nice fish; this used to be a solid zone for mirrors over the years. Best of luck with your endeavors out there, look forwards to seeing the results !  Ping me your email address, or drop me a note, will have to "try" to see if we can get out on the banks sometime this year !  (syndariol@gmail.com) Tight-Lines ! 

PS: Your fishing buddy looks great ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, (CO) JohnFinney said:

Had some success this earlier year from Eagle Cove in one of the TLO Tournaments for Carp, this used to be a solid area for producing the fish. Tried a bit later Catfish Flats, that didn't go so well, should be renamed "No Fish Flats". I know a few folks tried around Masey Draw with a little success. Fox Run and other locations up the West side used to be good, haven't fished them in a while. The most success we had last year was from the East Bank, down to the south, from the North Marina. Alas now, with all the construction, getting to those spots can be challenging; they certainly didn't improve fisherman access with all their work ! If/when fishing the east side, watch out for the ledge/drop off, about 25-30 yards off the bank, goes down from about 7-9 feet of water, to 18-20 feet, the carp love to run off and over that ledge, easy to get cutoff. Kingfisher and the Paddle Board (Gravel Pits) are now open. We fished Kingfisher the other week, produced some nice fish; this used to be a solid zone for mirrors over the years. Best of luck with your endeavors out there, look forwards to seeing the results !  Ping me your email address, or drop me a note, will have to "try" to see if we can get out on the banks sometime this year !  (syndariol@gmail.com) Tight-Lines ! 

PS: Your fishing buddy looks great ! 

Thanks John. I had a good short session up at the Masey Draw area today, 5 fish out including 2 upper doubles and 3 smaller kids. Went dead about lunchtime. I must admit I normally recce things a bit better and didn't use a marker float, lazy arse that I am. That shelf thing certainly accounts for the unusually high number of cut offs I've had this week....it's been an expensive week for rig bits! I will try some of those spots you suggested and do some proper recce work this time. Thanks for the videos by the way, very helpful. That big one today fell to.....scopex squid! The rest I've been getting on CCM live system. Used to use Odyssey all the time back home as they were just down the road a bit from me.

Anyway yeah love to do a session some time. Now if you'll excuse me I have a ton of rig bit orders to make lol 😂

Tight lines old chap😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve,

As Chatfield is so heavily fished from boaters there are many navigation and depth charts out there online; can prove very helpful. I do confess that I usually use a Deeper Sonar to map out new areas I haven't fished to get a better idea of what's down there. Reminds me, I need to use it more often when things aren't going to plan to help find the fish ! For many years I used to CC Moore baits, did some real damage with them, especially Live System. CC Moore was really the first boilie style baits I switched to when I made the transition from sweetcorn -> Tiger Nuts -> Boilies and Pop-Ups. Scopex Squid, what can I say, anything scopex based seems to do the job nicely !  When fishing Eagle Cove on the West side, heavy weeds out from about 15 yards to 30 yards, downside is, that's exactly where a lot of the carp love to hang out ! I used to get cut-off a lot at Chatfield, then switched over to more abrasion resistant lines, Korda Touchdown then Nash Bullet Mono. Did get chopped off again off the shelf a few weeks back, though that's likely as I didn't check my line for frays and nicks between casts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, (CO) JohnFinney said:

Steve,

As Chatfield is so heavily fished from boaters there are many navigation and depth charts out there online; can prove very helpful. I do confess that I usually use a Deeper Sonar to map out new areas I haven't fished to get a better idea of what's down there. Reminds me, I need to use it more often when things aren't going to plan to help find the fish ! For many years I used to CC Moore baits, did some real damage with them, especially Live System. CC Moore was really the first boilie style baits I switched to when I made the transition from sweetcorn -> Tiger Nuts -> Boilies and Pop-Ups. Scopex Squid, what can I say, anything scopex based seems to do the job nicely !  When fishing Eagle Cove on the West side, heavy weeds out from about 15 yards to 30 yards, downside is, that's exactly where a lot of the carp love to hang out ! I used to get cut-off a lot at Chatfield, then switched over to more abrasion resistant lines, Korda Touchdown then Nash Bullet Mono. Did get chopped off again off the shelf a few weeks back, though that's likely as I didn't check my line for frays and nicks between casts.

I've been using Korda carp line in 15lb bs which claims to be super tough ( don't they all?), Might try going up to 20 as it's not expensive. Have you used leadcore? I had a gravel pit back home with similar issues over cut offs and that reduced the problem a bit, although it was much smaller and shallow. I'll Google those charts, although I was planning a recce tommorow anyway just to get out the house 😂 and I like using a marker to get the feel of the place before heading back on Monday. 

Thanks again for your help 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I’m wondering if I should ditch the corn and go straight to boilies? Provided I find a body with carp in it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nanook said:

Now I’m wondering if I should ditch the corn and go straight to boilies? Provided I find a body with carp in it!

I've caught as many on corn, including my UK pb, as I have on boilies. Having fished in your state I know you can chum, which we can't in Colorado, do I'd go with corn on purely financial grounds. Try introducing boilies though, or use on one rod and corn on another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boilies v Corn, now that's an age old discussion. I have caught more fish here over the years on corn/maize, especially corn with plastic. When fishing with partners using corn, boilies v. corn, the corn usually puts the most fish in the net. However, averaging out the weights on those sessions, the boilies have put the larger fish in my hands overall. For the carp tournaments here over the past 4 years here, we are now in the 5th season, it's usually the guys using using corn/maize that have taken the win's - us boilie users have chalked up a few "W"s but ... the darn delmote more often than not, comes out on top! 

Saying all that, my PB common fell to corn/maize with plastic,  PB mirror fell to a boilie with a plastic corn topper and my PB grass carp fell to a single 15mm pop-up. :blammo:All baits can work ! As Steve mentioned, the fact we cannot "chum" here in Colorado limits our options as pre-baiting an area is simply out of the question for us.. If we could "chum", i'd certainly be going with a mix of boilies, flake, pellets and corn to get them in and hold them in the area and on the feed, especially when fishing a new water.

Edited by (CO) JohnFinney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Nanook said:

Now I’m wondering if I should ditch the corn and go straight to boilies? Provided I find a body with carp in it!

I've caught many with a boilie topped with plastic corn, and still use that today. Back home I would often fish over a bed of corn, hemp and broken boilies. Put it this way I can get a 50lb sack of corn for$12 which ( please make sure you cook) is a lot cheaper than 50lbs of boilies😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...