Carp Anglers Group Forums
Nanook

River Rigs

I’m still using Korda rigs that I buy from BCT, but wanting to try tying my own. Not looking for anything fancy and difficult to tie either. The areas I’m fishing are muddy, rocky rivers like Mississippi, Missouri, Meramec. Fair amount of muddy rocky bottoms.

Looking for ideas on line to use, thinking monofilament in 15 pound test like my main line test? Sometimes I use 20 pound mono as well.

Which hook and any types of bends/tubing necessary? I’m using maize and fake maize, along with 15-20mm boilies. Size 8 swivels I’m assuming to fit my method leads? Thanks for any suggestions.

Luke from Cats and Carp has a video with the hair rig, I was just looking for a couple more.

i fishing the Apalachicola and Choctawhatchee in Alabama and Florida and do very well on deer corn with bread crumb pack more corn and bird seed fed over top

This is my one of go to set ups for the CT River when fishing maize (field corn).

River Rig.jpg

Simple in-line lead sufficient to hold bottom and 6-8" hook length. The Enterprise large pop up imitation corn holds up to THREE pieces of maize (feed corn) quite nicely and if it is too buoyant then add another piece of maize or a small split shot on the hair. In this case I'm using a #6 long shank hook with piece of shrink tube for the hair aligner and another for the line aligner. Works very nicely with method around the lead or regular handfuls of maize. 

One more rig... 

In line gripper style lead (3 - 5oz) with oats / creamed corn or other method packed around it.

A short 3-4" uncoated hooklength (25lb braid works fine) and an in-turned (beaked) #6 or #8 hook. I tie the rig with the hair just long enough to that a 15mm wafter bait is just touching the bend of the hook (no hair aligner needed). With a short hook length there is no need to hide the bait in the method as it is not long enough to tangle around the leader / mainline. This makes it much more effective at hooking fish before the method has broken down. The short hook length also results in the fish being on a short leash to the lead and being hooked in the bottom lip for a very secure hook hold.

The in-turned / beaked hook point helps protect the hook point on rocky or gravel bottoms ;)

InLine Oats SF Wafter.jpg

Many thanks! I’ll try them both. How long is your hair in the first rig? Looks longer.

On 9/20/2019 at 6:12 PM, Nanook said:

Many thanks! I’ll try them both. How long is your hair in the first rig? Looks longer.

Yes that’s right. it is usually 5-8” 

I find that on rivers, often the simpler the rig the better. Don't worry about the complexity or trying to "outsmart" the fish, just make sure the rig is able to withstand the conditions of the river. A simple hair rig or blowback rig can work wonders; it's most important to make sure it can withstand the current. I would recommend 20lb mono, depending on how rocky you're talking about. Also, the thickest (not necessarily largest) wire gauge hooks possible. I fish the Delaware River in NJ, and I've had Korda wide gape hooks bent COMPLETELY straight in the mouth of a river carp! You need strong tackle for river fish...

Good luck!

Appreciate your help! I’ve got two big rolls of Korda Touchdown 20 pound mono. For thick hooks, are the Gamakatsu one of the better ones? Lots of choices out there.

4 hours ago, Nanook said:

Appreciate your help! I’ve got two big rolls of Korda Touchdown 20 pound mono. For thick hooks, are the Gamakatsu one of the better ones? Lots of choices out there.

Gamakatsu hooks are good, but I’ve been using Korda Wide Gape XX (XX meaning extra extra thick wiring). I tried using their regular wide gape hooks and they were bent straight. Could have been a sturgeon..? I dunno. Gamakatsu (especially circle hooks) should be OK.

I had 2 Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks (#6's, stock no. 208407) start to straighten out on me this summer.  I landed both fish, but not impressed with those bent hooks.  The second one was just luck that I got the fish in the net.  Can't beat the J-hooks.

<:///><