Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

The Carpinator

Rigs galore!

How about a thread that would have pics of nothing but rigs? Everybody could post some close up pics of some of their favorite rigs. Maybe include along with the pic a description of all componets to make the rig, maybe pics of the rig with bait attached, rigs in water and what they look like in use. Could get the paylakers to post some close ups of paylake rigs also...maybe close of pics of a rig in the water with the pickup/lifter hovering over the pack. Could be a great thread for beginners.

My rig from yesterday (which I use for most of my carp fishing)...

The hooklink is about 8" long * 15lb Kryston snake-bite, with the last couple of inches of coating peeled off. I normally use size 6 Nash FangX hooks, but this one is a size 6 Tiemco hook - balances a 20mm boilie quite well (this one is Dynamite Baits "Source"). The hook knot is a no-knot knot covered with a short length of 1mm silicon tubing. The swivel-hooklink knot is a palomar, with a 5 turn grinner attaching it to the 15lb Suffix Synergy mainline. The lead is a 3oz Korda, attached to a length of 1mm anti-tangle tubing that's slightly longer than the hooklink. The lead clip is made by Korda. If I'm not fishing too far out I sometimes tie on a 4 or 5 bait pva stringer - using pva tape, rather than string. If I'd been using pop-ups I'd have placed the counter balancing shot at the end of the coated section of hooklink.

post-12-1093284649_thumb.jpg

Guest Sodbury Steve

This is my current rig de jour - kryston snakebite ( last inch to hook and hair stripped of the coating ), fox series 5 size 4, 4mm blowback ring. Usualy set up on a running rig with either 2 18mm bottom baits ( wholle or chopped in half and sat back to back ) or 2 18mm snowman style ( pop up trimmed to criticaly balance the bait.) The bottom bait set-up has a longer hair ( usualy so the baits sit 1cm off the hook bend ), and the snowman set-up is tight to the bend of the hook so that it effectively sits over the hook bend.

There's a few others here too.

post-12-1093352790_thumb.jpg

Here's an anti-tangle rig I'm messing with right now.

I've got the stiff tubing attached to the swivel with shrink tube.

Kryston snakebite with a hinge is the link.

Also I like (although against status quo) the hook out turned, with the point leading, not inturned.

My theory being, fishing in this country where the fish have not been caught before, there is a lot less sucking & blowing going on. More of a suck in the bait & pull up, also the hair is semi stiff.

My opinion may change later, but I have caught a lot of fish this year with it fashioned this way.

post-12-1093655444_thumb.jpg

Here's the rig that I use most of the time..

Size 6 hook,3oz gripper lead,korda lead clip/rig tubing with a size 8 korda swivel...tied with 15lb snakebite with the last inch or so peeled back.

withy pool rig (pop-up rig)

post-740-1182828332.jpg

Edited by Big Buffalo

My Paylake Rig. A little fuzzy but its as good as it gets today.

post-12-1103161819_thumb.jpg

Guest CarpsRus

Benn using a lot of paper clip setups latelly - awesome time saver for those lazy bums like myself :D

1a. Pop up clip on a D-ring

post-12-1108742782_thumb.jpg

Cool idea CarpRus....carp anglers never cease to impress me with ingenuity.

Guest CarpsRus

Philliyguy,

if you really want to be tidy, straighten the clip and then roll onto a pen refill or smth similar to get a perfect circle at the bottom. See below. Work like especially well on popups with cork inside.

post-12-1108744915.jpg

Guest CarpsRus

Correction.

I meant staple clip(stuff you use in stapler, its sharp and cut to size, so no screwing around with the pliers :D

Hey smash, here is a cheap way to still get the bolt rig effect without permanently attaching the lead.

tie the bit pyramid sinker onto a short bit of line.

tie the other end of this short line to a small barrel swivel

slide the open eye of the barrel swivel onto the mainline

Tie another barrel swivel to the end of the mainline

attach the hook length and hook below the mainline swivel

at this point you have a sliding rig

next put a small split shot just behind the sinker swivel.

this traps the sinker in place so it no longer slides

yet if a fish breaks the line, the split shot easily falls off and lets the line pull through the sinker swivel.

Even more simple,

run the line throught the big eye of the pyramid sinker.

put a bead on the mainline and then tie the mainline swivel.

You now have a sliding rig that wont let the pyramid slide down past the swivel.

again trap the heavy pyramid sinker in place with a small split shot.

You can get creative and put the split shot a few inches up the mainline so the carp gets to move a little bit before the resistance hits.

Hope this helps. I remember trying to build safe rigs before all the fancy carp gizmos were easily found. Have fun.

my simple rig:

rig.jpg

your line enters your hook from the outside, thats a mistake. it will result in poor/ less hookups and lost fish. putting the line through the inside of the hook makes it turn in the fishes mouth against the flesh.