Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

The Carpinator

Rigs galore!

Here's one of my favorites:

Top boilie is a Fluor Pop-Up cut into a cube. Lower boilie is home-made. The pop-up let's the bait sink really, really slowly.

The black stopper is meant to prevent the sinking boilie from sliding down the hair, leaving maximum freedom for the hook to turn. Without a stopper, the sinking boilie would slide down leaving a rather awkward presentation on the bottom: floating boilie way up, than an empty bit of hair and finally the sinking boilie pasted to the hook. It would still work, but I'd fish it with less confidence.

I'd normally fish it with an inline lead, but sometimes I switch to helicopter to be able to cast more easily. I also use safety clips sometimes, but they do indeed tend to tangle a bit more often. I use them in heavy snags though.

post-1403-1196216185.jpg

Edited by Mario Kok

This lays perfectly flat without the need for a fiddly split ring :D

post-797-1196216532.jpg

The trick is using lead clips which have a large enough gap to accomodate larger brass rings in lead sinkers :D

You can see there is plenty of room for the rig to settle nicely here :D

post-797-1196216519.jpg

The thicker part of these Resistance Tackle lead clips are also beefed up for casting larger leads. No worries with a 4+oz lead if you want to hold it in the current either :D

Guest dave d

heres one of my rig i use in the UK called the diamond back

mainly use for pop ups if you look at the photo at the hair you can slide it up and down the diamond this in effect alters the way the hook sits in the water give anything form a withy pool effect to a straight pop up B)

post-3526-1210628977.jpg

post-3526-1210629122.jpg

Guest Woo

My setup. Only been doing this for about two weeks, but it's been magical. Don't have a picture of the rest, but it's just a slide sinker on top of about 18 inches of leader. I grew up carp fishing a little different around here. Never used a hair rig until recently. Perhaps I need to learn better how to do it, but using a fixed weight does not work for me. I like to let em run and then grab 'em.

100_1614.JPG

Edited by Woo

Guest GARP

Woo,

Is that corkscrew piece in the picture attached to the hook and acting as your hair? If so, are you molding dough bait around it?

Gary.

Guest Woo
Woo,

Is that corkscrew piece in the picture attached to the hook and acting as your hair? If so, are you molding dough bait around it?

Gary.

Yes, and yes. I have found a way to turn my dough bait into a boilie so that I can put it onto a "normal" hair, but I prefer to mold it.

Guest eojnrek

Carpaholic,

Thanks for creatively sharing how a newbie such as myself can emulate the "big boys" with simple, inexpensive tackle I've already got in my tackle box! In the past 2-3 weeks, I've had several firsts:

1. Made my first boilies and I've been using them--so far, I've caught an 8 1/2 lb carp, two turtles, and two nice channel catfish (about 2-3 lbs each).

2. Made, and have been using, my first hair rigs--they work on all of the above

3. I've used a running rig to catch all but tonight's latest catfish, which was caught on a bolt rig--my first catch on a bolt rig ever!

Background: I'm 52, and I've been fishing for carp since I was a teenager. Up until the past few weeks, I've always used soft dough baits (occasionally corn), completely covering the hook, and a slack line technique (but I've always had few hookups compared to bites). My personal best carp was 15 1/2 lbs, but I'd sure like to catch a bigger! I'm hoping that by means of the hair rig and the bolt rig, I can improve my bite-to-hookup ratio.

John Tilbrook used to live in this area, and I was hoping to get some tutoring from him personally, but the old phone number I had for him isn't any good any more. Know of any carp professionals in the Tidewater, VA area? I'd love to learn from a pro!

I'd also like to learn more about water craft and chumming. My chumming efforts have mostly been a few handfuls of corn or some doughballs tossed out where I'm fishing. I have a small lake right behind my house that has an open spot a few houses down where I can set up to fish from the bank. My largest carp from this lake is the 8 1/2 pounder I caught last week. I do know of some nearby waters that surely have bigger carp.

Any tips, advise, referrals, etc. appreciated!

Joe

Several years back a rig in my local carping circle gained some popularity; basically it was a Kahle hook with a bead on it. Sometimes a piece of rubber band was put ahead of the bead to keep it away from the hook point.

IMG_0640.jpg

This idea was adapted for use with a hair rig.

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

This rig works well fished with packbait. Bits of the packbait get caught inside the bead and I think carp like to try to crunch it. I've caught many carp with it, including my PB common.

Guest Got Puffs?

@Chakram; What size/brand kahle hook and also what is the break time on that there pack?

@Chakram; What size/brand kahle hook and also what is the break time on that there pack?

It's been so long since I bought those Kahles I can't recall what size/brand I bought. The other hook is a Fox Series 3 hook (size 4). I generally try to make my pack break at about a minute for ponds/lakes, a bit longer, maybe 2-3 minutes for swift water fishing.

Here's a link to some rigs.

Korda rigs

few of my favorites ....

post-5580-0-65457700-1312270699_thumb.jp

post-5580-0-22020300-1312270702_thumb.jp

post-5580-0-72081300-1312270704_thumb.jp

post-5580-0-83488400-1312270706_thumb.jp

post-5580-0-90103800-1312270708_thumb.jp

post-5580-0-17295100-1312270711_thumb.jp

Several years back a rig in my local carping circle gained some popularity; basically it was a Kahle hook with a bead on it. Sometimes a piece of rubber band was put ahead of the bead to keep it away from the hook point.

IMG_0640.jpg

This idea was adapted for use with a hair rig.

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

This rig works well fished with packbait. Bits of the packbait get caught inside the bead and I think carp like to try to crunch it. I've caught many carp with it, including my PB common.

Excellent rigs - I've been using the hair rig version for a few years now and more recently the standard pack bait version.

An alternative 'worth' trying is a fake pearl from a necklace - looks great in the water and catches fish nicely.

360 swivel rig (pop-up rig)

The most effective carp rig !

post-5580-0-24940000-1322224117_thumb.jp

post-5580-0-36242200-1322874927_thumb.jppost-5580-0-38532000-1322874929_thumb.jppost-5580-0-97559100-1322874930_thumb.jp

i'll try this :Old: next week, let's see it works or not :rolleyes: