Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Guest Amber

why the FFF ended early for me

Guest big Raymie

My worst experience with this was about 10 years ago, we were on a courtesy visit to Latvia, the skipper of the latvian minehunter we were teamed with came onboard and explained that he had received a request from the authorities for his divers to come to a local lake were someone had fallen through the ice to try and recover them, he asked if we could come too, to support them as we have better equipment. So we piled onto latvian army trucks and drove to this lake about the size of the tidal basin, i remember it was snowing heavily and bitterly cold and the banks were lined with all the locals and local police. When we were unloaded our liason was talking to the cops and discovered that the person had fallen through 8 hours ago and some other people had went through whilst trying to rescue them. total people missing was 28, 28 we were sure they had made a mistake with the numbers but no it was 28. without getting too technical the lake had refrozen and we had to get a local to draw us on a map were the local curents were. We figured that the local feeder stream had had meltwater come through thuis weakening the ice on one side of the lake.

Guest big Raymie

we took the lead as we had the most experienced divers and the two police divers and the latvian navy divers gave us the support role. After two days we had recovered only 25 remains and had almost lost one of the clearance divers when he was snagged up. The cops came to us and told us the family members of the lost wanted us to stop the recovery as they were afraid that we may be lost also. It took a lot of courage for them to do that and i dont know if i could make that descision myself. Hardest thing was the ambulance sitting there and the local doctor waiting for us to find someone alive. He was the local and had probuably brought most of the lost into the world, i watched as he aged 20 years in front of my eyes. No wonder i never walk on ice.

Guest CarpChaser

Amber,

Great job !!!! The world needs more people like you....... And I'm sure I speak for everyone in CAG, We are glad to have you in our group and we're all glad you're OK.

Carpchaser

Amber -

I am very saddened that the dog did not pull through. I am still relieved that you survived. The dog's fate in no way lessens or diminishes your heroism. You did what you could (more than you probably should have) and the rest was beyond your control.

Guest Cactus Carp

Amber from the posts on you events, I have to also say yes no doubt you meant more than well for the unfortunate dog. Just think young lady how your family would have felt if it was you the where fishing for from under the ice ..I'm not saying this to beat you in any way.

Only please becareful we need more carpers around !!!!!!! :D:D

Wow

Dean :D

Guest SatanSaphires

Well at least it was a shot. I probably would have done the same thing. Too bad the dog didn't make it. That's really sad. :D

Amber I am sorry to hear that :D

As a father I feel only scared at the thought of you under the ice because that dog would be missed but would he be missed as much or even cause as much anguish if it had been you?!

A brave soul you are with a big heart, add this to a more rational thought and you will be very successful in life. This will be one of your biggest lessons in life and you will never forget it. That dog will be waiting for you in the spirit world and it will be very thankful for your efforts I am sure. I just hope it's a very long wait before you meet! :D

A brave hero you still are even though it doesn't feel like it right now, Sask.