Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Sign in to follow this  
Jerome

Phone, oh Phone...

Jerome,

It's easy to be "ready" when the temps are in the 70's.  I'll be participating this year and I want a handicap.  I want one oz. for every degree of temp difference - only fair!!

Phone

I will be fishing a warm water discharge.  Carp don't bite in water below 50.

Your Majesty...

we are absolutely dying to know... None of us was able to catch more than 150 pounds of carp on New Year's Day... Which I understand is just negligible quantity compared to what the Master Angler of All Times must have caught this day...

I have to say that some of us humble toads were dumb enough to fish in a water temperature as low as 36F... I will not emphasize how many carp we caught at this temperature, being considerate about your venerable age and fragile (golden) heart...

Now, please would you grace us with some tidbits of information? How did you do on Jan 1st, fishing-wise? We can't survive for long without getting this crucial information... <_<

Oh boy Jerome, youve opened it now!:D

We musta read the thermometer wrong Jerome. Even the water in the Concord was under 50f (40f) tonight...must be snagging them. Only explaination Phone will accept!LOL

Guest javajoe

Jerome,

Some of us were stupid enough to fish water that had a Jesus like quality(one could walk on it/hard/frozen/iced over/thank goodness I brought some waxworms so I could actually catch something(perch)).

(Caught in the arctic)Joe

Guest phonebush

Jerome, all,

Yes, I did do some angling on the first of Jan. I also got a new digital camera that I cannot use. There is a rule of nature, "one born before 1940 shall not be able to use the newest stuff". Cameras fall into this catagory.

Now as for carp angling - I have pictures but no varification person. Fortunately the pictures show I am indeed the "Master Angler of All Times". It is going to take me awhile to learn how to share the pics with you. Fished on the Missouri River in a warm water discharge in the low 60's (estimating)vthat accidently had a grain spill in the area (you know I don't chum). Fish (carp) were plentiful but no real size (doubles to low teens, maybe, no scales either(?)).

Since I was by myself the pictures are bankside in the water. You'll soon see.

Only crazy persons fish on the 1st of Jan. Glad to say I'm one of them.

By the way - fish caught in water below 50 degrees were/are not feeding. Sure, they may pick up a bait from instinct but they generally will not injest it, just suck and blow a couple times. "Food" in water below 50 cannot be digested prior to excretment. Well, food may be as much as 10% usable but that would be lucky.

Phone, you kow, all jokes aside, this is really making my day that you fished on Jan 1st. Thanks a lot, this is really great. :D:D:D

Now, should I add that two of the seven carp I caught on Jan 1st had swallowed the bait & hook so much that I had to cut the line... This didn't happen to me once in the past year (so nothing to do with my rigs)...

I have to say I *think* they were feeding... But what do I know... Maybe they were just *extremely* inquisitive... :D

Guest phonebush

Jerome,

Sorry! those fish were probably investigating at their tooth. It is not impossible for carp to injest objects but they are NOT feeding. Instinct dictates that on occasion carp will pick up a bait. If the water is much below 50 they cannot digest more than about 3%.

It is likely water temperatures are a lot warmer and nearer 50 at the bait depth than anglers guess.

Phone

Jerome,

Sorry!  those fish were probably investigating at their tooth.  It is not impossible for carp to injest objects but they are NOT feeding.  Instinct dictates that on occasion carp will pick up a bait.  If the water is much below 50 they cannot digest more than about 3%.

Phone

Master Phone, I LOVE this idea.....

It sounds just like the fishy equivalent of the kebab after 10 pints of lager (and its subsequent relationship with the sidewalk). :D

So if the carp is ingesting but not digesting it isn't feeding, right?

Thus by using indigestible bait the carp will not be fed, will remain hungry, and continue ingesting until even JEROME can catch it?

Anyone know where I can buy cheap rubber corn in bulk?

:D

Iain.

Sign in to follow this