Carp Anglers Group Forums

WCC bad things from the past

koi

OK not sure how this will playout but carrying on with the recent theme of members attempting to resolve bad stuff that has happened to them, items stolen/not paid for, by posting on the board, I'm going to have an honest attempt to get some unpaid prize money from the previous WCC.

I guess most people know that tal and myself placed 5th in the last WCC, but instead of recieving our approx $8000 prize money, we were given some shimano rods and reels that were a fraction of the value of the published prize money. I guess after numerous complaints and inquiries, non of the prize money has appeared and this is about the best timing I could come up with to make a final attempt to get what I think we are owed.

So I know ICFA ans ACS officials frequent this board and to me the ICFA seem to be the same players who organized the last WCC. So my question is can you see if you can obtain our prize money or atleast the prize money minus the value of the tackle?.

Also can any of the CAG officials lend a hand? apply some pressure?

:D

Just to avoid any confusion... the 2005 WCC is located in the US, and organized by the ACS.

The previous WCC (the one Tim refers to) was located in Europe, and neither CAG or ACS had anything to do with it (except having some participants out there).

Tim, I know this is obvious for you (and many other folks), but i thought this deserves a bit of clarification, notably for newcomers! :D

As to your request of CAG helping, please send a request to cagstaff@carpanglersgroup.com with as many specifics as you can provide. Can't commit to do something useful, but we'll definitely think about it.

PS. and hey, Tim, congrats again for your 5th place, this was quite an achievement. :D

Guest NJ Rob

Tim ..

No doubt!! 5th IS NICE!!!!

Sorry to hear about your debacle!! If you're right though (not saying youre not) and have some type of printed record showing it, then keep the pressure on till you get it. Get all evidence possible showing exactly what you were due and then state your case .. Good luck to you. 8K buys 114.3 kegs of very good beer. :D

Also note, I see for this years event where the prizes are listed for the WCC that there is mention of cash prizes being paid out in tackle. That may have been the case with you as well ????????????

Dont kow, just asking... ???? :D:D

Mr Raduta organized the Romanian tournament. Tim is right, the promised prizes were not delivered. David Moore and I fished this tournament as well. Julian Campbell and Mike Winstone formed a third team. We were all very disappointed that the promised prizes were not paid to Tal and Tim.

At the time we had zero leverage. Perhaps the ICFA should review the situation. It is ICFA's reputation which suffers when a sanctioned event doesn't deliver as promised.

BTW, ACS had zero, zilch, nothing to do with the disputed event. ACS was not even in existance at the time. The powers that be in the international carping world seemed hesitant to press the issue, given that the event organizer controls a water known to have produced the world record carp. I suppose the reasoning was "don't piss him off, we might not get access to fish for the monsters."

The whole thing reminds me of a joke I once heard.

A farmer decides to sell his old mule. He reckon's it's worth $20. Instead, he sells raffel tickets at $1 each. The lucky farmer sells 100 raffel tickets. The day of the raffel comes and his neighbor wins the mule. The farmer promises to deliver in 1 week. Unfortunately, the mule dies! The neighbor is irate. The cagy farmer tells him not to worry, he's glad to refund his dollar!

The point is, the winner doesn't get much support from the raffel losers because they have nothing to gain once they've lost the raffel.

Best of luck Tim. I hope you and Tal get your $, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Tim,

I remember reading about that situation after that WCC. Did you guys even get a response as to "why" said prize monies were not paid out? Were the other finishing places given thier advertised winnings?

I would have a hard time letting that one rest! :D

It does note bode for a good reputation in upcoming events there...

I'm sorry this happened to you guys...

-Mike/CT

If this was a cut-and-dried issue under Romanian law, you would surely need to be prepared to file a suit in courts in that particular country, possibly against one of the entities under which you had some kind of contract. If you are not prepared to do that (and I know of noone who has filed suits there) you would need to somehow gather support for some kind of "bad faith" claim that is more to do with shaming someone into paying up. Take a look at how the ACS have handled unreturned goods for an example of how to do this. It's cheap, simpler and might just work. I'm very sorry how it turned out, I'm sure that there must be more behind it than meets the eye and perhaps it would be sensible to get all the facts out, which might be easier than at first look - in fact, isn't mr. Raduta actually on the board of the ICFA now? I recall seeing a photograph recently of the "inaugural" meeting....perhaps someone who was there can confirm? Which if it is the case, given the above events, is somewhat ironic.

Looking forward to seeing this resolved amicably,

S

Would the same people that ripped you off be fishing in this years WCC??Not good. Not good.

Would the same people that ripped you off be fishing in this years WCC??Not good.  Not good.

yes Mr Big think most of the people in the loop will be there at this year's WCC. The ICFA people are there, not sure about Raduta but I heard is son is fishing.

Anyway just an update, no reponse yet, I'm taking brian's advice and not holding my breath. Got a offer of help from the CAG leadership, nothing from the ACS yet.

ACS is first rate at fulfillment. The lovely trophy is shown below, the cash is spent with nothing to show for it and the entry into the World Cup is looking more valuable every day. I am still not a fan of competitive fishing but one has to admire the job Sean, Wayne and David are doing.

ACS is first rate at fulfillment. The lovely trophy is shown below, the cash is spent with nothing to show for it and the entry into the World Cup is looking more valuable every day. I am still not a fan of competitive fishing but one has to admire the job Sean, Wayne and David are doing.

I'm sort of on the fence with the ACS on the one hand Dave did go out of his way to try and get the prize money for Al and myself, but then they are now working with the same people who withheld the prize money on staging the current WCC?. I think Brian summed things up pretty well as usual.

Anyway guess I'll wait and see, if the prize money shows up everyone will be happy, if not then I guess it's destined to be one of those unpleasant episodes where no one ends up a winner.

To me this a very good example of why it's good for the CAG to stay out of the commercial side of things. I'm a raving capitalist myself but fishing is a good way to get away from it and the CAG basically seems to support those attitudes and values in carp fishing. In retrospect I probably should never had gone to the WCC, it's all water under the bridge these days, but the WCC coming to town presents an outside chance of getting that prize money.

Anyway, you might be in with a good chance of the million dollars Paul, fishing with tal!!!!, although he does seem to have lost his mojo, who knows maybe be back.

:D

Guest dlhst44
Got a offer of help from the CAG leadership, nothing from the ACS yet.
Dave did go out of his way to try and get the prize money for Al and myself, but then they are now working with the same people who withheld the prize money on staging the current WCC?

um, so dave went out of his way, but didn't? The WCC is a big deal for ACS and in general carp fishing in america. Dave would be a fool to decline it out of principle for you, sorry. He'd probably be more probuctive to lobby for you post this years event when he's been able to build relationships with the IFCA peeps. Not to mention, throwing that drama into the mix by an organizer of the event would just be bad news all around. Probably all the IFCA could do is lobby the organizer of the event in question anyway, as i'm pretty sure it's the organizing body that handles the cash.

That is however some sorry shat. Hope it all works out for you, just don't think calling ACS out in this forum is good for any party involved, especially the CAG membership.

you might be in with a good chance of the million dollars Paul, fishing with tal!!!!, although he does seem to have lost his mojo, who knows maybe be back.

Lost his mojo? Please don't say things like that. :D

I would like to see him catch a bunch of 40s in Texas in the next couple of weeks, then take a slow drive from Texas to NY - thinking intensly (and that is what he does) about carp fishing every inch of the way.

• 1 month later...

just an update, no response yet, but based on some info I received from some cag members the organisers of the last wcc all part of the ICFA (international carp fishing assoc. ?). Also most of them will be at the WCC this week, so I've mailed them and asked a few people attending to help out.

just an update, no response yet, but based on some info I received from some cag members the  organisers of the last wcc all part of the ICFA (international carp fishing assoc. ?). Also most of them will be at the WCC this week, so I've mailed them and asked a few people attending to help out.

not coming for a look at the comp yourself??? :D

S