Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bciliberto

First Carp on Fly in London Ontario

Hi all!

All I can say is wow! Hooked up with Ian Colin James in London for 1 1/2 days of fly fishing for carp (also working on my "cast") great guy and guide! http://www4.sympatico.ca/ianjames/ask.html

Got into five (5-8 lbs.)on the first afternoon- two hours after getting off the plane-- and landed two monsters (see pics @ http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?...Uy=1hl9cq&Ux=0)

the next day! Took over an hour to land the one! I'm not sure--- do I look happy in these pics!

Carp on a fly is it!! :D

Landed a few nice smallmouth bass too! Great trip, brought home improved casting and some productive flies--- those local carp better be ready now!

Hooked and loving it,

Ben from doylestown :D:D:D

awesome ben. i know a few locations where you can hit them in philly too :D pm me and i'll tell you about it.

Hi all!

All I can say is wow! Hooked up with Ian Colin James in London for 1 1/2 days of fly fishing for carp (also working on my "cast") great guy and guide! http://www4.sympatico.ca/ianjames/ask.html

Got into five (5-8 lbs.)on the first afternoon- two hours after getting off the plane-- and landed two monsters (see pics @ http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?...Uy=1hl9cq&Ux=0)

the next day! Took over an hour to land the one! I'm not sure--- do I look happy in these pics!

Carp on a fly is it!! :D

Landed a few nice smallmouth bass too! Great trip, brought home improved casting and some productive flies--- those local carp better be ready now!

Hooked and loving it,

Ben from doylestown :D  :D  :D

Guest torontofly

Just stumbled across this forum and Ben you are lucky to have encountered The Carpfather. Are you on the Carp Registry?

I have also had the pleasure of being converted from a "trout purist" to a lowly carp hunter by watching the Big Guy, and fishing's been better ever since.

Were you introduced to the Puke Fly? It's way better than a Wooly Bugger and far more productive, plus it has a very good story behind it.

Tightlines all,

torontofly :D

Ben,

Congrats on your fly fishing for carp adventure. It truely is an exciting way of catching carp. Could it be another joins the dark side? :D I hope those great looking fish are the first of many for you on the fly!

Lowell

Torontofly,

Welcome to the forum! I would like to hear more about the "Puke fly" if you don't mind sharing.

Lowell

Just stumbled across this forum and Ben you are lucky to have encountered The Carpfather. Are you on the Carp Registry?

I have also had the pleasure of being converted from a "trout purist" to a lowly carp hunter by watching the Big Guy, and fishing's been better ever since.

Were you introduced to the Puke Fly? It's way better than a Wooly Bugger and far more productive, plus it has a very good story behind it.

Tightlines all,

torontofly :D

First catch was on a white puke--- I was on another planet so the story about the boy and the bass and minnows sort of went over my head! Carpfather assures me I will soon be on the registry!

Ben

Ben,

Congratulations on the fish, and finding a great guide to put you on them!

Jason

Thanks All,

Best of all-- hooked and landed a 26" beauty at my new favorite hole on the Neshaminy (1 mile from home) last Wednesday!!! I have definitely gone over to the dark side :D:D:D

Ben

Guest torontofly
Torontofly,

Welcome to the forum! I would like to hear more about the "Puke fly" if you don't mind sharing.

Lowell

Hi Lowell,

The Puke Fly is likely one of the most productive patterns in my flybox. I was introduced to it by Ian James, who guided Ben up here in Ontario, after inquiring about good flies for the rivers around here. It's essentially a streamer that imitates a baitfish. Story goes that a boy, Willie McLennan (I think), then aged 4 and a bit, noticed from his vantage point at the end of a dock that whenever a big bass ate something, the fish would regurgitate it and it would come out as bits of white matter. He said to Ian, his fishing partner at the time, "We should make a fly like that." Well, they did. The first version was done out of white marabou, "but it would only last about 20 fish (!)" So the current version is tied with hardier material. You might be able to see some on Ian James's website.

Anyway, it's been way more procutive for me than wooly buggers and muddle minnows, too. Getting closer to autumn, when fish need to pack on the pounds for the winter, and start looking for baitfish, the Puke Fly is a great pattern to fish.

For carp, I like it in size 8 and 10.

tf

Torontofly,

Thanks for sharing the story! I will have to check out Ian's site again to look for a picture of the pattern. Thanks again.

Lowell

Guest torontofly

Went out with the Carpfather a couple days ago to try out a nice, new custom-built 5', 5wt. fly rod on some bass on an Ontario stream. Long story short, the Carpfather and I ran across some actively feeding carp and started casting to them. Ian caught a nice mirror on a Muncher Nymph, another of his own patterns. Guessing it was about six or seven pounds. The fly rod proved to work well, especially for short, tight casts to the bank and under tree cover.

Everything was going well until near the end of the day, Ian cast to the pod, I saw the line tighten and then saw the fish run out about 40 yards down river. Suddenly, CRACK!!! So much for the 5', 5wt. Still, the Carpfather hung on, clutching the remaining 3'6" forward section of the rod and landed what must have been a 13 pound common.

Great day on the river. Now it's back to the drawing board on buildind a stouter fly rod.

torontofly

Went out with the Carpfather a couple days ago to try out a nice, new custom-built 5', 5wt. fly rod on some bass on an Ontario stream. Long story short, the Carpfather and I ran across some actively feeding carp and started casting to them. Ian caught a nice mirror on a Muncher Nymph, another of his own patterns. Guessing it was about six or seven pounds. The fly rod proved to work well, especially for short, tight casts to the bank and under tree cover.

Everything was going well until near the end of the day, Ian cast to the pod, I saw the line tighten and then saw the fish run out about 40 yards down river. Suddenly, CRACK!!! So much for the 5', 5wt. Still, the Carpfather hung on, clutching the remaining 3'6" forward section of the rod and landed what must have been a 13 pound common.

Great day on the river. Now it's back to the drawing board on buildind a stouter fly rod.

torontofly

great stuff thanks for sharing :D too bad about Ians rod :D but those are the things that make for great fishing stories!!! :D

Guest torontofly

Hi Mark,

You're absolutely right about those kinds of experiences. I'm not even the slightest bit upset about the rod. I'm actually looking forward to getting back to the rod-building table and figuring out how to make a short fly rod that can withstand that kind of fish.

torontofly

Hi Mark,

You're absolutely right about those kinds of experiences. I'm not even the slightest bit upset about the rod. I'm actually looking forward to getting back to the rod-building table and figuring out how to make a short fly rod that can withstand that kind of fish.

torontofly

That would be your fly fishing version of a Scooby doo rod :D:D

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the laboratory :D

Guest torontofly

Funny you should mention the Scooby Doo rod, as there was an actual review of it in the Outdoor Canada magazine fishing edition earlier this year. In that article, when lined up against all the big game gear, the Scooby Doo rod was actually deemed better for detecting takes, though its limits on bigger fish were obvious.

Recently, as I was flipping through pages of North American Carp Angler, Summer 2005, I read Tommy Robinson's story, "Light Line Carpin'" in which he writes:

"Yes, it is possible to bring in that 30, 40 or maybe even a 50+ on a five-foot UL (ultralight rod) with a four-pound test strength, but for the safety of the fish and for yours as well ... you would be better suited with something more forgiving. I have several rewarding waters that I fish and then some ponds that seldom give up a 20. That type of pond is where you can use the light and ultralight method of fishing."

That's essentially what The Carpfather and I were doing, when he got that 13 pound common. The rod worked very well on the smaller mirror and on several other carp and bass hookups.

The question is: How light would you go with a fly rod for carp?

In most cases we're fishing for river carp where 25+ would be rare. When we get closer to Lake Ontario or Erie, we naturally kick it up to using 9', 8-weight rods, though sometimes a 7 weight will do.

Thanks for your thoughts.

torontofly

Funny you should mention the Scooby Doo rod, as there was an actual review of it in the Outdoor Canada magazine fishing edition earlier this year. In that article, when lined up against all the big game gear, the Scooby Doo rod was actually deemed better for detecting takes, though its limits on bigger fish were obvious.

You sir have to participate to the next CAG Invitational (CAGI) and land a carp on a fly with a scoody doo rod. Now that would be something!! :D

PS. if you don't know what the CAGI is, check this Web page.

Guest torontofly

Sure. If we can figure out a way to participate, I'm sure I can get The Carpfather to try it.

Here's a pic from our last outing ... Ian landing carp on busted rod.

torontofly

post-1329-1128967483_thumb.jpg

post-1329-1129090674_thumb.jpg