Carp Anglers Group Forums
louis

re-captures

many of us love the catch and release angle of carp fishing, and really get a kick out of catching the same fish twice. i know some of us share the same fish as our PB, as in ray and lowel's awesome PA mirror. i thought it would be great to have a single thread where we can post all of our re-captures and stories about them as a way to illustrate why C&R means so much to us.

here is one of mine:

two days ago i fished a new location on the brandywine river. its really more of a creek. i heard of a deep hole that had some nice fish in it, so matt and i went to do some light tackle stalking with 4lb line. it turned out there were a lot of fish there. within 2 minutes of throwing canned corn into the water, i had a fish on. 20 minutes later he was tired enough to pick up with no net out of waist deep water. i didnt weigh him, but estimate 13-15 i noticed he had a small growth on his nose. it's difficult to see in the picture, but its like a little raised mole or tumor next to his nostril.

brandy-noodlenose1.jpg

a few minutes after i waded 50 yards back upstream to the hole we were fishing, matt hooked up on a really nice fish that after 1/2 hour, weighed in at just under 19 lbs. unbelievable for such a little stream. when we walked across the bridge we saw a few that big, maybe even bigger. so i went back the next day (yesterday) and hoped for a 20+... just like the previous day, i threw some corn to the fish, and in seconds there were 3 eating like pigs. i cast and my hook barely hit the ground before i was into a fish. would you believe it was the same one? this time you can see his growth a bit better:

brandy-noodlenose2.jpg

i'd like to go down there today and see if i can get him again.. that would be just too much.

i'll post some more in a little while...

Edited by louis

my first offcial, and favorite recapture is this next one. most of the forum readers have probably seen it before. in december 2003, matt caught an awesome mirror from springton lake, in media pa. it weighed over 18 lbs. i think it's still his pb mirror. at the time this was the best fish we had seen from the venue. it was also rewarding to see a few fish on such a cold day. i think the water temp was in the mid 40s.

matt-mirror-rez18.jpg

a few months later i caught the same fish. it is also my pb mirror. we named it rezzy, since we used to refer to the springton reservoir as the rez. you can't fish there any more. the water company closed it because 2 people sued them unjustly for self inflicted injuries acquired on the property. it's the only large impoundment within 45 min of my home. i always wanted to catch that one again. ahwell.

louis-rezzy-mirror.jpg

Edited by louis

earlier this year pete aka sweetcorn organized a contest on the banks of the schuylkill river in Philly. he got a trophy made for biggest fish. the winner was a 23 lber caught by a new friend from the UK, who often travels to the US, named jeremy. i was lucky enough to take this picture of him with the winning fish:

jeremy-skukewinner-23.jpg

notice its missing upper lip. we called it mush mouth. 23 is really big for the non-tidal schuylkill above fairmount dam.

after i posted the picture on www.fishguys.org, i got an email from one of our members named george who had caught that fish 1/2 mile downriver earlier in the year:

post-500-1126631545_thumb.jpg

Edited by louis

here is a sweet mirror rod and i both caught a day apart in montrose harbor before the ccc.

post-500-1127768694_thumb.jpg

post-500-1127768759_thumb.jpg

I like releasing my mid thirties so some noddy can come back and catch them 2+lbs bigger!

Mine...34+.

Dave's...36+ 4 months later! They eat well during the fall! Dave does too.

Also could be in the "famous two-tone" thread.

post-197-1161339578_thumb.jpg

post-197-1161339657_thumb.jpg

Here's a GB one from last Fall's DC Fish-in at Haines Point :D

post-3-1131344984.jpg

post-3-1131345855.jpg

and that was a sweet one too . traveled a few miles down the river and up the channel from the original place of capture.

I caught his fish in Hominy in October during the Nationals. It's my PB full scaler at 13 lbs 15 oz. I was just checking out the new tournaments section on the acs site, when I saw a picture of Pavel holding the same fish the year before! I hope no one minds that I lifted the picture..

post-500-1177519934.jpg

This guy (13lb12oz) was caught on 4-07-07 & 4-11-07. He had a red tumor (or something) stickin out of his left gill. I tried to photograph only the RHS to avoid showing the tumor. But, the first time I caught him, some pieces broke off in the landing net and showed up on the RHS in the foto. When I caught him the second time, he seemed to be in fine shape.

post-1122-1177550104.jpg

post-1122-1177550126.jpg

Guest Timcourt

Caught this one at Saline in 2004, I have seen him numerous times since, Luke Caught the same fish in 06 its the only fully scaled mirror in this 100M stretch of River locked by 2 weirs

post-620-1177550967.jpg

post-620-1177551017.jpg

Candlewood mirror "Split Tail" caught by Dave Depeau the first day the canal was fished in 2005.

And again caught in June 2007. Weight almost identical.

post-116-1200364640.jpg

post-116-1200364768.jpg

Edited by ctcarper

Buffalo Recapture..

Leonard, FFF 2004:

post-8-1135291451.jpg

Me, TCC 2006- my pb 45 lbs:

tcc-45-buff.jpg

post-1651-1201446249.jpg

The healthy one-eyed common above was caught by me three times during 2006. Once in May, then again in June and one more time in August. All three times were from the same location on the Schuylkill River. One of my goals in 2007 was to recapture this one-eyed specimen again. I failed in that goal.

The fish that made me feel the best about recaptures was one that was mentioned earlier in this thread that Louis nicknamed "Mushmouth." Mushmouth was a very distinctive carp, because he lacked an upper lip. Mushmouth was caught in the middle of July, 2006. Mushmouth was truly a 23 pound bronze gladiator and on light tackle gave me a whale of a fight. When releasing Mushmouth, I was very concerned. I was in the water for about 10 minutes supporting this fish during efforts to recuperate him. He finally swam away on his own, but looked more than a bit wobbly. Twenty plus pound fish in the non-tidal section of the Schuylkill are hard to come by.

While attending a Fish-In almost exactly a month later in August of 2006, a fish-in participant named Jeremy caught 23 pound Mushmouth again. The location of the Fish-In is over a mile up river from where I caught Mushmouth in July. I was actually relieved at seeing old Mushmouth again as I was worried about his condition when I released him. I had always wondered how far fish migrated in the river and Mushmouth showed me that it is at least over a mile.

post-1651-1201446800.jpg

Edited by george

me last night:

post-500-1209047300.jpg

Matt last year 1/2 mile up stream:

post-500-1209049005.jpg

Buffalo Recapture..

Leonard, FFF 2004:

post-8-1135291451.jpg

Me, TCC 2006- my pb 45 lbs:

tcc-45-buff.jpg

and third known time on the bank, KC's big buff win at this years ATC: