Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fishlux

Fly Swap

I have participated in several fly-swaps on other boards, and I thought it would be a great way for us to share our favorite flies with each other.

The way this would work (if there is sufficient interest) is each person would tie a single pattern, one fly for each participant. If 10 people participate, each person ties (or buys) 10 flies. Everyone sends them to the swap-meister. Once they are all in, I'll re-sort and send them back. Every participant gets one of each fly.

I'd like to limit it to about 20 people. If we don't have a lot of interest, that's ok too. If it's only a few tyers, we can up the quantity if we want.

Who is interested?

My fly tying expertise is not at all developed to a point where I could offer great looking flies. It does sound like a good idea for the more advanced tyers though. :D

I see a flaw in your thinking Eich.

You assume you're not skilled enough to participate. Anyone who wants can participate. Remember, pretty flies catch fisherman; ugly flies catch fish.

If my pattern can be something like the San Juan Worm, I'm in. I would be glad to go 2 different colors for my 1 fly. :D

I'm in, though I'll be contributing bought flies rather than self tied.

...the crayfish pattern that you swapped last year was really nice! Great for smallmouth as well. :D

Lowell

Sure. I'm in.

I'll contribute some generic nymph something. It's all I can tie.

We're up to 6, maybe 7. What say we put a deadline on the sign-up of next Wednesday. We'll see who and how many then and start tying.

I'm glad to see so much participation. This is great.

Lux

Okay final tally day. What seems to be the grand total there Fishlux? Please excuse the excitement as this is my first fly swap. :D

No need to to be excused. Enthusiasm is welcome.

I show 7 participants. Sound Right? Anthony, you in?

Lux - Bucktail Craw Variant

Eich - SJ Worm

Kingfisher - ?

Carpaholic - ?

Swiss - Nymph Something

Smitty - Clouser Swimming Nymph

Carpenter 07 - Bad Breath

Ok, the details.

Tie (or buy) 7 of the pattern.

Put them in a box and mail them to me. I'll PM my address to all.

Please include either return postage or a buck. Your return address label is handy too.

Many swappers "toe-tag" the fly with pattern name, hook size, tyer's name, etc. I'll leave that to a vote. It is nice to know who tied what.

Any questions, let me know.

Lux

Guest AnthonyR

I dont know when I will have the flies, and I dont want to disrupt the count, so I guess not

OK, I forgot one detail. Deadline. Can everyone have their flies in the mail by Wed. Feb 1? That's 3 weeks for 7 flies. what ya think?

Lux

OK, I forgot one detail.  Deadline.  Can everyone have their flies in the mail by Wed. Feb 1?  That's 3 weeks for 7 flies.  what ya think?

Lux

Not a problem with me. 7 is the "lucky" number. Thanks!

Guest Carpenter 07

No problem. I tie dozens in a session during the looooong winter. PM the details when your'e ready.

Cheers

Ray

any way to let me jump in on this one guys? my apolgies, i have not checked online in a while, but i'm always game for a flyswap, especially for carp!

if i can still get in, i'll tie the carp wooley. developed out west here by paul haufman, a killer pattern that is simple, but deadly.

hope you guys can squeeze me in!

would anyone mind upping the quantity to two per person? It'd be nice to have an extra if you lose one.