Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest zonker

"Chumming" on Black Friday

Guest zonker

I stopped in at my local G.I. Joe's Sporting Goods store yesterday to pick up a couple of fly tying items. I had forgotten what day it was. The place was packed with holiday shoppers in the middle of a feeding frenzy. It was "Black Friday," the Friday after Thanksgiving where reportedly, retailers begin to make a profit and get back in the "black" on their accounting ledgers. Customers were congregating where the merchandisers had placed the tastiest free and almost free baits, pushing and shoving and grabbing - packing their baskets with bargains and other things they picked up as they moved about, no doubt also picking up a few items in the process that they had not intended to buy - at the regular price. I'm sure some "hooks" were "set" on high margin, high priced items more than once.

I'm not into carp chumming but it struck me how similar this was to the mainstream of carp fishing. Planning and concocting the proper baits, spreading them strategically, waiting for the "customers" to come and "feed," raising the tempo in the hope of lowering resistance of wary "shoppers." But not all the shoaling "fish" were fooled. This one left the store carrying only the feathers and hooks he intended to purchase - put off by the whole mess.

Maybe that's how the big ones get really big. :D

z~

P.S. One reason I had such will power (won't power?) was that I wanted to stop by a local lake to check it for signs of carp life. It is a lake that gets a dump of hatchery trout in the spring which attracts the powerbait hoards for a few weeks, then falls into neglect for most of the rest of the year. I've fished it unsuccessfully for bass before but only recently remembered that I had spotted a few carp several years ago, before I had any thought of carp on the fly. I walked down one edge of the lake yesterday, scanning the water and looking for "signs." Then I saw them. Carp bubbles in several locations out away from the shore. These moving gas release trails allowed me to add yet another fishing spot to try in the spring when fish are more active.

Edited by zonker

Very good analogy there. Sometimes it is more like a shark feeding frenzy though. :D Creatures of habit us humans are.

Way to stick to your plan there! Congratulations are definitely in order. Went to the fly shop myself yesterday too. Bought hooks and chanile-period. :D

Ray

Great analogy Zonker. I myself won't go in a store on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Alas, unlike yourself, that's not because I have will power. I just don't like dealing with the crowds. I prefer to shop/feed in tackle stores on days when they are not very busy so I have plenty of time to look at things I don't need. I am shamelessly weak.

My wife and I were married 29 years ago this December. I dutifully went with her when we registered at The Bon, now Macy's, and picked out patterns for china, crystal, etc. At that point in time I didn't much care about the china and crystal but I cared about her so I did it. (I grew to enjoy the china etc. over time) When we left The Bon I asked if we could go to Ted's and register. Ted's is a local fishing tackle store with an excellent fly fishing section. I've known the owner for 30 years. I guess I was just ahead of my time suggesting that we go pick out some rods and reels to register for so that people would know what to get me for the wedding. My bride to be thought this was yet another one of my feeble attempts at humor. I was serious. We didn't go. I talked to the owner about it the next week. He said I should ask people to get me a gift certificate at his store for the wedding. I didn't do it.

Just think, we could have come back from our modest honeymoon, settled in to our new home for a few days and then I could have used someone else's money to shop/feed in the tackle store for things I didn't need. Don't you think I was a very good sport about all of this?