Carp Anglers Group Forums

Dog food as bait

Guest HonduCarper

Guest HonduCarper

One day my sons couldn't get the Tilapia feed with which we chum so they took some dog food (the stuff that comes in bags, I'd say 10mm in diameter), tossed it out instead and the fish came in as if it were the stuff we had been using before.

I had just started experimenting with putting hairs on our hooks, so I drilled a 1/16 hole in some of these "boilies, attached one to muy hairy hook and presto! Plenty of two to three pound Tilapia.

This got me thinking about using the dog food for carp and so I put two or three of the boilies on and it has worked pretty good. They're ready made, high nutrition value food.

I've got some crawfish spray that I bought in the States some time ago that I daub on just before casting.

Has anyone used dog food for bait before? If so, how do you use it?

Thanks,

Dan

Hondu,

Too many uses to mention all , but what you do is working , so go on ....all dog food , cat food etc works ,,,the cat food [the hard stuff, often already has holes is floating] tinned stuff is often cubed, when no problem with catfish also possible as boilie, and just introduce a few hands full.

Or make dough of bread and cat/dog food, the wet stuff..!

succes

post-12-1062621930_thumb.png

Guest Sodbury Steve

Tinned cat food is huge over here among the matchmen( paylakers ) especialy those using multi section poles.

Dog biscuits likewise for surface fishing as well as expander pellets ( floaters ) - we have imitation plastic dog biscuits here that you can side hook or use on the hair. I had a superb session on sunday using these on an adjustable zig rig - a dozen low to mid doubles in a 3 hours. brilliant because you can cast them right back out and not worry about them coming off the hook. I've described the adjustable zig rig on an earlier thread and it worked like the mutts nuts. Iit was on a lake where they've had alot of pressure on surface baits, but because the rig lets you set the bait a few inches below the surface they seemd to be much less wary of the bait.

• 16 years later...

I have powdered dry dog food in a food processer, mixed it with flour and/or cornmeal, sweetened it, and added crawfish attractant. It worked and I caught some carp, but certainly no better than simpler baits.  I'd have to say it wasn't worth the bother of cleaning the food processer.

<:///><

I too, have ground up dry dog food in the processor or blender and used it as a base mix for hand rolled boilies.  You can add an egg or two to help bind  and any other ingredients you desire.

The possibilities are endless but like Ken, I would say no better than other simpler baits.  " Everything works at some point"    lol  Good luck.

Todd