Carp Anglers Group Forums

Baitcasters for Carp

Guest TigerCarp

Guest TigerCarp

Does anyone here use baitcasters when carpfishing? I mainly fish for flathead catfish and my abu reels have clickers (baitrunners) on them. It's just harder to use bite alarms with baitcasters.

macfish here. Hey TigerCarp, welcome to the forum. I think there are several folks here who use baitcasters and only baitcasters for carp fishing. Some of them fish with them using paylakers' rod stands and special alarms. I have not seen them but I have seen pictures of them. Perhaps they will chime in and talk about them. There is also at least one person here who use baitcasters with special long casting rods (12ft.) and regular rod/tripod setup with regular Euro style alarms. It doesn't seem like it would work, but it does. The rods are on the tripods laying upside down and the line goes over the alarms and works fine. It is also possible to just buy bank sticks (if you don't know what any of these things are we'd be very happy to tell you) and lay the rods on them. That works whether you're fishing for carp or flathead catfish, a fish I also readily target and enjoy catching. Doing this last mentioned way you can just have the clicker as the bite indicator without having to buy anything other than the bank sticks. Paul at Wackers Baits even has some very sturdy short inexpensive rod stands that will set you back less than half the price of one very cheap alarm for the two sticks to mount one rod. They are about 18" tall with a plastic U shaped top on the "back" stick and a V shaped one on the "front" stick where the line goes through. The metal rods of these sticks are a round rod about 3/16" thick, not likely to bend and easy to push into dirt and pull out later. They won't work, however, on rock or concrete without some sort of adaptation. Jonathan

I have used baitcasters for carp, and while they are fun to play the fish on, they can be a nuisance to fish carp with.

The first thing you'll notice is a huge difference in casting distance. And if you want to freeline you'll measure your casts in feet rather than yards. You have to cast the rig like a flyrod. When using dough and other soft baits there is more of a tendency to throw your bait off the hook than with a spinning reel.

The next problem are the takes. When you get a fast hit from a spirited fish, these reels tend to birdnest. When I started, the old baitcasters had the "clickers" on them, and they helped a lot to prevent the birdnests. Todays reels come with the magnetic dampers, which try to do the same thing, but aren't as effective as the old clickers. For carping anyway.

But, like I said they are fun to fish with, and the shorter rods make it easier to net the fish.

-Ken

Does anyone here use baitcasters when carpfishing? I mainly fish for flathead catfish and my abu reels have clickers (baitrunners) on them. It's just harder to use bite alarms with baitcasters.

Tigercarp, the number of carpfishermen using baitcasters in the US probably outnumber the spin crowd by 100 to 1. You just don't see it on the Internet. Checkout the paylake section and get some feedback on the type of setups those guys use. Most paylakers are catfishermen also, so they know all about fishing gear that does double duty.

t

macfish here. Ken, you have some excellent points there. I have used several of my rods with baitcasters for carping. One has no clicker so I either have to back the drag way off or else leave the reel free reeling. Free reeling, for most part is very tricky because as you say the potential really is there to end up with a mess. If the fish I encounter aren't too big the free lining thing does work, like not over 10lb. In the lake where I do most of my carp fishing that seems to describe the fish I have found there so far. With these smaller lighter biting fish I've put the reel in free reel and tied a bit of yarn on the line as a bite indicator to see when the fish were taking it worked very well. In windy conditions it got tough, but otherwise it works. I have caught some really nice fish with the drag backed way off and the fish ran and hooked themselves and surprisingly it wasn't too bad. The only dangers there are if the drag is too tight and they pull the whole rig off the rod pod and in or else break the line or if too light and they get a snarl in the whole thing. None of these things happened to me and I caught some nice river fish up to about 12 or 13lbs. Now to be honest I do prefer my baitrunner spinning reel setups or baitcasters with clickers. My first inclination with gear is to try the task with what I've got and if it doesn't work well or isn't convenient enough the other stuff can always be purchased later. Ken, I have to say that the tips, hints, and suggestions that you've posted as far as adaptations have been some of the most ingenious and helpful I have seen. Thanks, Jonathan

Guys, if you're trying to use casters on pods, and fish them Euro style then you're gonna have problems. You're missing the point from the start. Fished paylake style on paylake stands, baitcasters/conventional reels can be deadly.

And, there is a limited selection of long rods available from some Carp Tackle suppliers as well as saltwater rods that will allow you to cast just as far.(or further) than anything using spin gear. You just have to learn how to cast them. :D

I don't have anything against Euro, or spin gear, and I use spinning reels a lot. But--there are a lot of catfishermen and even surf anglers out there who may have casting gear that they could use for carp fishing. Lets give them good info here. Otay?

Guest just4kix

I use My Abu's On my Paylake Stands and they work Great! I have even free lined with them. I agree , 90% of the Cat-fishermen are carp anglers. As a matter of fact , you'd be better off to use the gear you got , not that there is anything wrong with the euro gear , but if you are just gettin into the carpin scene , stick to what you are used to instead of spending big bux for gear you prolly never heard of. then once you get your feet wet then check it out. I see nothin' wrong with using what you have , heck Abu Baitcaster make excellent carp Fishing Reels. IMHO!

BTW , Holler at Tim , He may be able to put you on a Carp Master! :D

It's just harder to use bite alarms with baitcasters.

It is? I just read where you can't use them on pods very well, didn't know that either, did you Mocarp?

I have to confess that I use my 6000's more than anything else and on my alarms and if I'm doing something wrong, well ignorance is bliss. :D

Guest phonebush

Buster,

And, don't forget SPINCASTERS probably outnumber both spinning and baitcasting by 100:1.

NO doubt about it spincasters are the way to go.

Phone

I use Garcia 5600ci's for carp. They are just like a 5500, but have a thumbbar and a bait clicker. I have 3 rigs set up with 5600 and LOVE them. I am alot more accurate than with a spinning reel and the guy I fish with can cast farther with his 4500 size reel, but not much.

I love hearing the clicker sing. To me, it's one of the coolest parts of carp fishing.

I use a 7000 on my spod rod and can easily cast as far as a similiarly rigged rod with a 4500 sized reel.

Tom B

• 15 years later...