Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
possum

44lb. Carp on 2wt Flyrod

Ok now I got your attention. I want to catch carp on my flyrod. I have a 2wt (I'd think it way too small) and a 5wt. The average carp will most probably be under 10lbers.

Is a 5wt heavy enough for these size fish?

macfish here. Possum (Rob, is it?), I have a fly rod that is a 6 weight (it's an old Scientific Anglers 8'1" fiberglass rod matched to a Pfleuger Medalist reel) and though I have yet to get a carp on it, several flyfishing folks here (Eich, MrP and maybe John Montana) have told me that a 6 weight should be good enough for many carp. My guess is your 5 weight should do okay. Now your 44lber, that might take a bit more. You might want to contact Nightwing (Paul) about that. I noticed in his signature that he said he got a 40lber on a fly: "home waters, Lake Michigan PB: 40+, on fly gear." Good luck! Jonathan

Mine was on either my 9wt St. Croix pro graphite, OR my 10 wt Legend ultra...I can't recall now! I "think" it was on the 10 wt..

Either way, the rod size is entirely dependent on anticipated fish size and water....I use a 5 or 6 in numbers waters(lots of small fish under 20 lbs), and I use the 10 on the very biggest fish(30 plus anticipated). The 10 was originally purchased for Chinook, but gets used much more often for carp now:D

Ok thanks! The 5 is the heaviest I got.

I want to fish the feeder creek at the Bum Swim with it. I did a little expermenting last year with a 4ft. Ultralight with a underspin spooled 4lb. and caught a gang of carp. Most was 6-9lbs. with my biggest on the light stuff there going 11lbs.

Now to do it on a flyrod is my next little personal goal. I was just concerned the 5 might be a touch too light but I guess if the drags adjusted right something else should break before the rod.

Guest zonker

Possum,

I'm fairly new to flyrod carping (one year) but I've done just fine with a five weight on sub-10 pound carp. In fact, the gentler presentation possible is a plus. Just don't try to horse them in and you'll do fine.

z~

Guest zonker

Hey Nightwing,

Must be tough having to put up with Lake Michigan as your home waters. :D

z~

Thanks All! I think I'll just give it a whirl with the 5wt.

Now probably my luck is I actually get into a big one with that light stuff and suffer a defeat. LOL

Possum, the rod a person might need is dependent on the size of the fish and on the conditions. If you need to keep fish out of cattails or other weeds you need a heavier rod. If they can run out into a strong river current then you will also need a heavier rod. Your five weight could be a bit light for some of what you are talking about but it will probably be just fine particularly for fish in the 6-8 pound range. Budget, number of times you get out etc. also come in to play when considering making a new purchase. The 8 weight that Paul is offering for $44 at Wacker Baits and Tackle is a steal. Plain and simply, that's a steal. If you intend to do more fly fishing for Carp particularly if you plan to fish in water where you might see some larger fish or need to deal with less than perfect conditions you just can't go wrong with that 8 wt. The Avid is a medium fast action, mid price point rod. Paul is showing it as a three piece rod. Currently St. Croix makes 2 and 4 piece rods in the Avid 8 weight so it might be mislabeled. The rod may be from a few years ago and may indeed be a three piece. Number of sections can be an issue when traveling. Some of my rods are two piece and some are 4 piece. The two piece rods still fit fine in the back of my CarpWagon but 4 piece rods are easier to take on the plane. Even if it is a model from a few years back, it is still a heck of a deal for any fly rod Carper. Another thing about that rod is that it has a fighting butt. If you have a day where you get into a bunch of larger Carp the fighting butt helps reduce arm fatigue. I would buy that 8 weight from Paul right now if I didn't already have one. I mean two.

Edited by MrP

i caught 2 fish in 2006 that were 20 lbs or better using my 4 weight. it can be done but it didn't seem very fair to the fish! just didn't have the strength to bring them in and they were pretty worn out. for smaller fish in the 4-7 lb range, my 4 wt is great. when i know there will be fish over 10 lbs i use a 6 or 7 wt. i thin your 5 would have no problem on the fish you describe, and if you do hook a big one you'll be able to land it, but you'll have to wear them out.

my 7 wt is my favorite carp rod...it seems to be perfect...not to heavy, not too light.

i'd love to fish lake michigan.

Edited by john montana

Well I appreciate all the advice, I'm listening! :D

I'm really not able to buy any new rods at this time but those are a steal!

In fact I just spent $140.00 yesterday on the 2wt. but its for Native WV Brookies. A 12"er here is really a good fish. They come out of little trickles you can hop across.

I kinda assumed if I got a big carp on the 5wt I'd have to wear him clear out to bank him.

I really would rather not get into a big one on light stuff. I do think I can somewhat target these smaller feeder creek carp.

Judging from last year and the ultralight adventure is that they tend to just run back and forth up the creek channel and don't seem to want to head out into open water for some reason.

I never kept count but I caught a gang of them and only had one break my line. The rest either were banked or got just got off. They seemed no worse for wear. But Lordy get a big one on its either broke off or wore out.

I'll do the 5wt. If I encounter any problems or see its stressing the fish too much I'll bump up to 7 or 8 (if my wife doesn't find out about the new 2wt.) LOL

Guest The_Carp_Hunter

Possum, I have caught carp on rods as small as a 1wt, but htose are small fish the largest around 6lbs, for the largest fish I use a 9wt, and in some places even a 12wt this one where there are lots of things fish can tangle on, sticks, trees etc. or in any situatuion whre you have to control big fish real quickly.

Guest majicwrench

FIve weight will work just fine. It is your LEADER that determines how big of a fish you can land quickly, NOT your rod. Big rods are for throwing BIG flies long distances. I do a lot of pike fishing, the flies are 4" to 8" long, usualy weighted, often with spinner attached. I use a BIG rod, and can cast em a long ways. Pike, for all the nasty looks, fight like burlap bags, THE BIG ROD IS TO CAST BIG FLIES. Carp, on the other hand like small flies, and usually short casts. A small, lightr weight rod will work fine. As Long haired Dave point out, they are NOT leader shy in most case, I am fond of #10 or #12 Maxima. Really doesn't make much diff if you now have a 3wt or a 9wt, with a stout leader, drag em in.

Keith

Thanks!!! I got ya on the leaders!!!

I haven't checked in a week or so to see if them carps is up the feeder creek yet. Weather has been the pits here.

But as soon as I see them carps up that creek I'll give'm a go with the 5wt and stouter leaders.