Carp Anglers Group Forums

Yesterday I decided to go out and fish in the blazing Georgia sun and heat. It was a balmy 95 degrees with high humidity here in the land of cotton. Due to the heat I was not sure how fishing would be so I decided to change flavors and fish one of my rods in true pay lake style. Tying on that 1/0 hook without a hair was very strange to me. I kept thinking how is that going to fit in the carp’s mouth? I also decided to try and catch fish on a flavor that I have not had much success on lately. This session was going to be about experimenting and just having fun on a hot Georgia day.

I got to the swim and baited up some. The first 2 hours were very slow. I doubted my chances for the day. Then I decided to get the pay lake rod set up and give that a go. I also changed my K-1 boilies from my favorite juicy tutti fruit to the red peach. Once I changed to red peach fishing improved tremendously. I could not keep a rod in the water.

The pay lake rod was also flavored with red peach oats pack and a plain puff. This combination was unbelievable. This rod was in the water for no more than 5-10 minutes and off it would go with another fish and yes, that big ole hook somehow got in the carps mouth!

After catching 10 – 15 fish I stopped taking pictures and weighing them for the ACL. It was so hot and I would barely get a fish off the mat before another rod would go off. I was drinking fluids like a mad man but I was still dehydrating, but I was having fun!

Soon my day got even better. A family came with three kids came. They were on vacation and the kids wanted to go fishing. The kids ranged from 6 – 12. They watched me catching fish and the kids were struggling to catch anything. The middle boy Mike came over to look at all my gear and talk to me. He was 10 and told me he never caught a fish in his life. At that point my mission changed for the day and I wanted to introduce this family to my passion for carp fishing and the fun I have.

In a bit I hooked a fish and Mike’s older sister was the only one standing near me. She was 12 and looked to really enjoy fishing. I gave her my rod and let her reel the fish in. With some coaching she did an awesome job. Her first carp was a 17lb 8oz carp. She was over the moon. Her family came over and the youngest boy asked if he could keep the fish. This was my chance to explain catch, photo, and release to this family. I showed each of the kids how to hold the fish and before you know it mom was getting pictures of all the kids with the fish. I then showed them the proper way to release the fish.

My next mission was to get Mike his first fish. The problem was, Mike wouldn’t stay still like most 10 year old boys. Finally I hooked a fish when he was close enough to yell for. The whole family came over to watch Mike reel the fish in. Mike had a nice fish on and his dad was helping him hold the rod while I played net boy. After a while Mike landed the fish. To say he was happy would have been an understatement. Before you knew it the family was taking pictures and he was so excited. I then realized I needed a picture of this as well and took a picture of Mike holding the fish. Mike helped me release the fish and it was time for them to leave. Mike’s dad could not thank me enough for showing his family a nice time on their vacation. All the kids we great as well, they all thanked me for the fun.

After the family left I was still hauling fish. I caught 30- 40 fish during this session. I got to the point that I was getting delirious in the heat. It was time to pack up and head home. On my way home I thought about my day and what it meant to me. I fish for fun and relaxation. I am not into all the games some play. I enjoy sharing my skills and knowledge with others. I hoped that helping these kids have fun will be something they cherish in their memories, I know I will.

Yesterday was important to me. I have been working a lot and have been pretty stressed out in my job. I needed this day to help me remember what is important to me.

post-1327-1187014184.jpg

:D WTG!!!!!!!! :D i really enjoy the kids fishing and i can tell by the story that you enjoyed even more.

BTW where in GA can you catch fish of that size and quanity in this heat?

big bird

:D WTG!!!!!!!! :D i really enjoy the kids fishing and i can tell by the story that you enjoyed even more.

BTW where in GA can you catch fish of that size and quanity in this heat?

big bird

Good story Kent, judging from all the rocks in the picture the water looked pretty low.

Excellent story and act.

Now tell us please how are you mounting a red peach boilie on a 1/0 paylaker hook?

I just used a plain puff on the paylake rigged rod. K-1 red peach boilies on the others.

Great story, that's what it's all about right there :D was that an amiaud pod in the background Kent????

Good eye. Yes it is.

Excellent story Shadowboy about time you let others catch fish :D.Glad to see ya got into em mate :D

Thanks my good friend. Please tell me that is not you in your avatar!

macfish here. Kent, that's a great story. I'd bet the farm they will remember that forever. Those experiences are the meat and potatoes of life. Jonathan