Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Golden Ghost

Post pics of Buffs you've caught on the fly

Guest Buffmaster D

I'm yet to catch anything so..post up some of the buffs you've caught on the fly!

Try to post what fly it was caught on...

Dustin

Guest Carpenter 07

I caught several large mouth buffalo's this summer, I haven't downloaded them yet, but I will soon and post them up. A couple small guys and a 13lber. They put up a great fight.

Ray

Guest Buffmaster D

Largemouths are very rare here in texas... I'd love to see some pics of them!

Dustin

Here is one from a few years ago in MN with Wendy Berrell:

MN_fishing_with_Justin_050.jpg

and one Wendy Berrell caught on our last spring trip.

MNJune2007020.jpg

and here is the a pig of a buff he caught in the spring during the "buffalo days."

monsterbuffaloday013Large.jpg

this report from Wendy is pretty much a "must read" when it comes to buffalo on the fly. He darn near had me buing a plane ticket to join him for a day. The previous spring we fished this spot together and in one day landed well over 100, probably 150 fish between the two of us, about 15-20 different species. what a day!

http://fishingandthinking.blogspot.com/200...01_archive.html

macfish here. I think maybe you mean bigmouth buffalo rather than largemouth, and those are great pictures of them! I haven't had any buffalo on the fly rod though I have caught a few on corn/boilie. I have only caught one bigmouth. For some odd reason my bigmouth, though the largest buffalo I have caught, fought as if it was a sack of potatoes. I caught a smaller buffalo right after the bigmouth which might have been a black buffalo (judging only by its dark color), and it fought two or three times harder than the bigmouth though it was less than 1/2 the bigmouth's size. Jonathan

Guest Carpenter 07

Here you go, the buff I am holding was caught on a fairly generic nymph, the others were caught on a san juan worm. I found that the key was color, not shape. I found an area that discharges water certain times of year and the surrounding creeks FILL up with carp, buffalo, shad, drum and catfish. I have been meaning to post the pics for a while but just havn't gotten around to it. All of the fish listed were caught on san juan worms in fast current.

post-917-1193671194.jpg

macfish here. Buffmaster D, here's a version of one from the web. It looks similar to others that I have seen on the web but Eich/Ray ties one that is very different from this and looks more like a real worm to me. Jonathan

post-1211-1193716741.jpg

Guest Buffmaster D
macfish here. Buffmaster D, here's a version of one from the web. It looks similar to others that I have seen on the web but Eich/Ray ties one that is very different from this and looks more like a real worm to me. Jonathan

post-1211-1193716741.jpg

Wow.... Thats cool lookin'!

What is the body made of... on of them pipe cleaner thingys?

Dustin

Guest alabamacarphunter

For smallmouth buffs I will put a tiny tiny splitshot a bit up the leader just to help it get down. Then I cast it out about 5-6 feet in front of where the buffs are moving, so that the run right over it. When they are getting to it give it little twitches, but do not long strip it or they could spook. I've only been doing this a few months, so someone else may know more than me.

Guest katman

pipe cleaner wont work.. no movement. Get some micro chenille. Just high stick or dead drift a san juan.

Guest Carpenter 07

This is the first year I've used the worms. I always thought they didn't "look right" especially when wet. I've only used them in fast current and they were deadly, I caught loads of carp, drum, cats and buffs on them. They take about a second to tie and are by far the most cost effective fly in my box.

Guest Buffmaster D

I like to um' too....

I'll try it tomorrow, along with a consept fly I'll be doin' a bit of R&D with!

With me luck!

Dustin

This is the first year I've used the worms. I always thought they didn't "look right" especially when wet. I've only used them in fast current and they were deadly, I caught loads of carp, drum, cats and buffs on them. They take about a second to tie and are by far the most cost effective fly in my box.

macfish here. Ray, I think I remember Ray (Eich) saying something about the San Juan worms being very effective but that in his experience they tended to only last one trip to the water (or maybe it was one fish?). Has durability been an issue for you? Thanks, Jonathan

Guest Carpenter 07
macfish here. Ray, I think I remember Ray (Eich) saying something about the San Juan worms being very effective but that in his experience they tended to only last one trip to the water (or maybe it was one fish?). Has durability been an issue for you? Thanks, Jonathan

Yeah I remember reading that, I think it was one fish. I found that to be the case with the more yarn like fabric, but the ultra chenile didn't seem to be too bad. I will say that I went through about 10 of them in a session, the area I was using them in is fast water, full of snags.

Guest alabamacarphunter

Is red the color to go with on the SJW's, or have any of you had consistent success on other colors? Also, is that a scud hook in the pic on the first page of the thread?

james

Yeah I remember reading that, I think it was one fish. I found that to be the case with the more yarn like fabric, but the ultra chenile didn't seem to be too bad. I will say that I went through about 10 of them in a session, the area I was using them in is fast water, full of snags.

Guys,

I've been experimenting with my San Juan Worms by using a technique that I borrowed from tying saltwater flies. This employs the use of clear silicon caulk to make the fly a little more durable. Seems to be working in the limited amount of times that I've used it. Too early to tell if it affects the catch rate. When I can make that determination, you guys will be the first to know. :D

Ray

the theory being passed around out here is that the carp are taking the san juan worm because they think it is the "foot" of a freshwater clam. the columbia river is loaded with freshwater clams. my buddy came up with this:

clam01.jpg

to test the theory this year. i'm dying to give it a shot!