Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Carpflyfisher

carp fly swap

Guest Eric Kol

Jake,

Let's say there are 13 folks in the swap. You will tie 13 copies of your pattern. You will then mail it to the host by the due date. You will also include a return envelope either post paid or include money for return postage (usually much nicer to do post paid to make life easier for the host). Sens them in a crush proof box.

The host will sort all of the flys everyone sends in and mail back to you 13 induvidual flys, one from each participant.

I just tied up 12 Carp Bitters tonight...looks like I'll make a couple more. You guys should love this pattern if you don't already. It started as a Bonefish Bitter (a Craig Mathews pattern) but has undergone some mutations. I can hardly wait!

9weight, good to see you here. That makes two swaps we are both participating in right now. Good timing. A feel a thaw comming.

Edited by Eric Kol

9weight, good to see you here. That makes two swaps we are both participating in right now. Good timing. A feel a thaw comming.

couldn't pass this one up now could I? :D I wish a thaw was coming, the temp's dropping below -30 tonight (it's already -20). Spring can't come soon enough!

Guest Eric Kol

O.K., Let's hope the picture goes up. This is the "Carp Bitter", my rip off of the Bonefish Bitter.

bittergroup.jpg

bitteratvise.jpg

Funny thing, The image of the multiple flys, the one in the center was too sparse so I cut it and re-tied. Guess I was too trigger happy with the camera!

Guest Carpflyfisher

Funny thing, The image of the multiple flys, the one in the center was too sparse so I cut it and re-tied. Guess I was too trigger happy with the camera!

Nice job Eric! I too, will try to photograph everyone's flies and post them on the board. Looks like this pattern will work great with tailers. I've done pretty well with the horror fly, an old bonefish pattern with squirrel tail wing and bead-chain eyes. Must look close enough to a crayfish or minnow to really trigger those aggressive hits.

Edited by Carpflyfisher

Guest Eric Kol

Hey Carpflyfisher, is that small mouth Buffalo in your avatar fly caught? That's a nice fish. I have only caught two of them (not on the fly) and they were only 6-7 pounds. Very nice.

Guest Carpflyfisher
Hey Carpflyfisher, is that small mouth Buffalo in your avatar fly caught? That's a nice fish. I have only caught two of them (not on the fly) and they were only 6-7 pounds. Very nice.

Hey Eric,

It is, thanks. Caught on a pink and white clouser minnow (of all things) on the fly rod. High water releases from a local reservior gives us the great opportunity to catch some larger roughfish, on occassion. I think this one was in the 12-13 pound range on the boga grip (uncertified).

The biggest challenge to me, is finding the buffalo. If you know where they are, and they are in a eating mood, you have a decent chance of them taking your flies.

Say, on your bittern pattern, is that epoxy or hot glue??? Looks great.

For the record, I believe it is good etiquette to always send the swap master an extra fly for their efforts!

Nice buffalo, Wendy Berrell is the king of fly caught buffalo...I'm attempting to time my spring MN trip so that I can take his crown this year. Just put me in front of those big buffalo Wendy!

Love that muncher fly...might PM you about a private swap for a few more Eric!

Guest Eric Kol

Carpflyfisher,

"Say, on your bittern pattern, is that epoxy or hot glue???"

Those are epoxy (five min epoxy with orange food color). I do make them with hot glue too, but overall I like the epoxy better.

Craig Mathews (of x-caddis fame) developed this a while back and called it Pop's Bonefish Bitter, so once I played with it a couple of years and butchered it I call it a carp bitter.

John, You mean a Muncher like Ian Collin James' fly? or do you mean the carp bitter shown?

Good morning fellas. My wife and I are planning to down-size our home and particularly our lot. A purchase and sale agreement may be in our very near future--like maybe next week. We would then be on a tight time line to get moved and get this house sold. I was thinking I may not have time to tie many flies if all of this unfolds as hoped. So that I was sure to follow through with my contribution I got up at 3:30 this morning and tied flies just for this fly swap. Is that commitment or what!

Good morning fellas. My wife and I are planning to down-size our home and particularly our lot. A purchase and sale agreement may be in our very near future--like maybe next week. We would then be on a tight time line to get moved and get this house sold. I was thinking I may not have time to tie many flies if all of this unfolds as hoped. So that I was sure to follow through with my contribution I got up at 3:30 this morning and tied flies just for this fly swap. Is that commitment or what!

Definitely! And I for one thank you tremendously. You are the man! :D:D

Ray

Guest Carpflyfisher

That's the kind of crazy dedication you only get with carp flyfisherman!!!!

Just to confirm with everyone, we have 13 total. So tie up 13 for the swap and we should be good. This is shaping up to be a great swap with a nice variety of bugs.

Mike

Guest Eric Kol

MrP, thanks for tying up you flys. Good luck with the house.

9weight, cool fly. I know that will get carp. is that on a scud hook? I like the profile.

9weight, cool fly. I know that will get carp. is that on a scud hook? I like the profile.

yes, tiemco 2457, size 10. I like the profile of the nymphs tied on scud hooks. the only problem is the tail, especially pheasant tails, can get crushed when seating the hook in the fly box, so you need to be careful.

Guest PbSlinger
O.K., Let's hope the picture goes up. This is the "Carp Bitter", my rip off of the Bonefish Bitter.

bittergroup.jpg

bitteratvise.jpg

Hey Eric...How big is that fly? How's the "splash factor"? Any chance of getting a recipe and how-to with the flies? I like it!!

Here's the ZZ Top...

DSC00730.jpg

Guest Eric Kol

PB,

thanks, splash factor not too bad, especially that this is a sz 10 hook. The deer hair is also nice in that respect. I'll put down the recipie and try to do a how to. Real simple fly. Gimme a day or two.

That's the kind of crazy dedication you only get with carp flyfisherman!!!!

Just to confirm with everyone, we have 13 total. So tie up 13 for the swap and we should be good. This is shaping up to be a great swap with a nice variety of bugs.

Mike

Thanks Mike; indeed I am a bit crazy, but in good ways of course.

Also, I'm asking please that everyone tie 14 flies like John suggested so that the swap host gets an extra bug from each of us.

Guest Eric Kol

MrP, I like the ZZ top. I'll be sure to add some goodies for the host. I'm gonna put the recipie for the bitter with a brief how to in the patterns thread. Eric

Guest carpmanjake

i am tying a specialty fly called

"the J-Diddy Special-T" (cause my nickname) is J-diddy :D )

it is a killer fly for very shallow water or top water c arp. since it is made with rabbit fur and cathair it floats of the topf for a while if it is dry (because of the rabit fur) and after that it's sink rate is very slow. but it is easily weighted my adding a BB shot right in front of the knot connecting to the fly. this fly is expecially effective when tied with a loop not. it gives a more free floating wriggly apearance. the loopknot it also good if you weight it because you can put the shot on the loop.

i have 3 tied already they are tied on size 10 octopus hooks. though they would be killer tied on scud or dry fly hooks.

Guest carpmanjake

here is "J-Diddy's Special-T" or you can Call it "Jake-D's Special-T"

post-1862-1203719756.jpg

Edited by carpmanjake