Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Carpflyfisher

carp fly swap

Guest Eric Kol
Thanks Mike for being the swapmaster.

Yes, thank you very much. I know what a pain it can be to get every thing sorted and mailed, cough up for missing postage and all that. I'm ready to get them wet!

Guest carpmanjake

MAN! got mine today! i think i ripped you guys off! mine are patheticly tied compared to all yours.

im gonna post which ones i think will do best for me this year

1. Johns green crayfish/damselfly pattern.
  2. mikes Carp Candy
  3. swiss prince nymph
  4. puke fly
  5. the cool looking one with lots of legs (not sure whos it is.
  6. carp carrot
  7. Carp wolley
  8. zz top
  9. the plum colored marabou leech
  10. Wendy's Variant fly
  11. eric's bonefish bitter
  12. then 9 wts antron nymph

i chose the in that order because i fish murky water (usually ~ 1 foot clarity). and i was trying to think which would be most visible.

eric's fly seems to small and may be invisible to some fish. but im gonna bet its gonna be killer for sucker and carp in my backyard this spring!

wendys just seemed on the small side for my water

and 9 wts i just dont want to use! its pretty much a master peice to me! great flies guys!

Got mine today. WoHoo!

John's is much bigger than I envisioned. If this sounds like a double entendre to you, grow up! I just lost it in the coach, so I might need a dozen replacements!

Hey, I got two carp carots! Cool.

Is Jake's fly really made of cat hair?

I like the pale cream dubed one. Sometimes I've done well with a carp woolly tied with a cream body.

The carp bitter is a cool idea.

The littlest fly with the two rubber legs. I have plans for that one. Whose is that again?

Where'd you get that crazy rubber hackle on that orange one?

And a carp woolly! If I'd known I was getting a carp woolly back, I would have tied two dozen so I'd get two back.

Edited by MajorGeek

Guest carpmanjake
Is Jake's fly really made of cat hair?

i got mine yesterday too!

yes it is really made of cathair. an easy dubbing material for me considering my cats shed. ALOT i designed it for the clooping carp i see alot. the cat hair traps air bubbles better than normal dubbing too. and the rabbit fur traps even more air bubbles to keep it on the surface even longer. which is what you need most of the time. since carp cant see ahead of them where they are going when they are feeding like that. so sometimes it takes themm longer to find the fly.

but when all the air bubbles are gone from the rabit fur. it will sink... sllowly. which i found worked great with suspended carp

Guest Eric Kol

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your awesome flies! hit home for a 20mn lunch today and flies in the mailbox. I am very eager to get them wet, even though it is against my better judgement to do so. I'll have to fight the urge and use them as templates first! Good thing I left them at home, because I found my self at an open carp hole again today on thw way home from work (3 carp on the fly) and I would have had to fish them if they were on my person.

Mike, thanks again for hosting.

I got my flies as well today. nice work by all. Unfortunately I just sold my vise this afternoon, so photos of the swap flies will have to wait until my new vise arrives in the mail, hopefully by sometime next week.

Flies are great guys. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this. Great job hosting this Mike.

Ray

Guest Carpflyfisher
Flies are great guys. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this. Great job hosting this Mike.

Ray

Guys,

It was fun to host. I'm going to start systematically tying up a few of each, some are too nice to fish! I really like the carp carrots and carp woollies. These look like they would work nicely in very shallow water and not spook skinny water fish. John's damselfly looks too good to fish (but I will anyway, nice tie!).

Will add these to my carp arsenal. Can't wait to get them wet and hook something locally. Many thanks for the extras that you guys provided.

:D

Mike

Guest KB

Mike,

Got mine Wednesday. Thanks again for hosting this swap. Now if only our weather would cooperate. We set a record today for the first snowfall ever recorded on this day. Weird weird weather.

I quick note on the burgundy leech. I fish it to cruising carp. Casting out in front of their perceived path and than retrieve very slowly. The tend to stop look and sip it in. Had one do a 90 degree change of direction.

Good luck and enjoy,

Kim

Edited by KB

Got my flies too - they are great - thanks everyone. I have a reference set that I don't really fish, and many of these will end up there. Thanks Mike for hosting. I stiffed you on the postage (sorry again), but I did include an extra fly if I remember right.

I have a different approach to swap flies. I take them fishing right away. Only if they catch fish for me do I then make copies. However, if I lose them right away before they've really had a chance to prove themselves, well, then I'm left wondering.