Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest vanven

Carp in Kansas City?

Guest vanven

I noticed a couple other posters from the KC area and thought I would ask about areas around Kansas City that are accessible for fishing for carp on a fly rod. I have a float tube I typically use for bass fishing, so that is a possibility.

We are expecting our first child very soon and my bi-monthly trips to the Ozarks are on hold. I would still love to get the fly rod out and chase a few big fish. Catching bluegill gets old fast.

-Jerod

Hey there Jerod. I live in KC and am an old float tube guy from way back. I have fished most of the lakes in the area from the float tube over the last 30 or so years. One of the best places to fish for carp from the tube is my home lake middlecreek, about 40 minutes south of KC in louisberg Ks. Middlecreek is a 300 acre lake (+or-) and has some great flats that are very accessable. It has one of the best carp populations for its size in the state. In the KC area Smithville lake, North of KC is an excellent spot but can have quite a bit of boat traffic, Longview lake in the city limits of KC and has an outstanding carp population as does bluesprings lake as well, however both can have considerable boat traffic as they are urban fisheries. PM me and I can let you know which might be the better option for the time you want to fish.

I am having a fishin at Middlecreek on the 24th of May, you should try and make it, I will post the details in the regional section later today. PM me if you are going to be in town and I will help you any way I can!

David

Guest vanven

That sounds great David. I am on the Missouri side, just west of Liberty and about 10 minutes from Smithville. I havent spent a ton of time really scouting Smithville. For its size, it seems rather inaccessable except from a boat. I have given Longview and Bluesprings some thought in the past for bass fishing but I knew they just get pounded with fishing pressure. I imagine carp get less pressure. I have caught carp at the Clinton spillway but at the time we considered it more of a nussance species. Funny how that is starting to change.

I have all of the necessities:

5 wt fly rod

reel with a decent drag

float tube

waders

decent net

I guess I just need some starter help. Maybe hooking up with one of you guys for a day of learning the basics would really get me started. This might give me an excuse to buy another reel. I dont want my good cold water fly line dragging around in muck after all B)

-Jerod

A very warm welcome to the CAG forum Vanven and welcome to the fly fishing forum also . B) This is a great group of people here.

I can't help you at all with fishing in KC; heck I've never been there. I think I drank a wine from KC once; it said September on it. I guess they do wine by months there and not years.

As to getting muck on your good cold water fly line, hmmm... Well now, I'm thinking it might be time for a bit of attitude adjustment here. You will be hard pressed to find a fish more worthy of your good line than a Carp. B) Seriously. If you are thinking in terms of "dragging", fear not, Carp don't respond well to dregs; no that's KC wine, I mean drugs, oh God no I mean drug flies, like drug around. Oh well, sorry.

By and large Carp caught on the fly are caught with a dry line and best of all they are caught sight casting. It enhances the experience of "the take", the premier moment, not just in fly fishing, but in all of life. If your good line is a dry line you won't get any muck on it. If it isn't, you might want to take a hard look at getting a floating line because it will enhance your chances of success exponentially and because it will protect your other line from the muck. I'm thinking this is a win/win.

Let us know how your trip turns out. Let us know if they still do wine by months there in KC.

Very seriously, welcome to the CAG fly fishing forum. B)

Guest Carpenter 07

Howdy Jerod, I fish more in the Lawrence Kansas area, usually Perry or Clinton Lake. I don't have any experience with lakes on the Missouri side, but I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities if your willing to put the time into finding the right kind of water. I always look for big shallow areas, usually mud flats. Watch the water looking for cloudy "muds" that indicate carp rooting around looking for food.

The birth of my son a year and a half ago has changed my fishing locations as well, gone are the all weekend getaways and bi-annual trips to Florida. It forced me to find the size fish I wanted to catch close to home.

Congrats on the coming birth of your child, it's well worth the change in fishing styles and locals!

Ray

Guest KSFlatsLander

Is this the Jerod I PM'd with on the Itinerate Angler?

If so, glad to see you made it over here to the CAG site. Great bunch of damn fine fly rodders carpers here. I see Ray (Carpenter 07) has already responded to your post, as has David (kccarper). Both great guys and good sources of info for you in the KC area.

If you're not the Jerod I PM'd, welcome to the board anyway!

KSFlatsLander

Guest vanven
Is this the Jerod I PM'd with on the Itinerate Angler?

If so, glad to see you made it over here to the CAG site. Great bunch of damn fine fly rodders carpers here. I see Ray (Carpenter 07) has already responded to your post, as has David (kccarper). Both great guys and good sources of info for you in the KC area.

If you're not the Jerod I PM'd, welcome to the board anyway!

KSFlatsLander

Same Jerod. You can blame KSFlatLander for my presence on this board. I noticed that he was posting with a Kansas location on the Itinerant Angler site and shot him a PM. He referred me here since there are a few dedicated Kansas fly fisherman.

With the pending child birth my priorities have changed a bit. Instead of hitting Taney every 6 weeks I need to find a fix a bit closer to home. Carping may fill that role perfectly. I will still find time to head south for the brown run in late fall where really big fish are a possibility. For now I would kill for someplace really close that I can go fishing for a couple hours after work or on a weekend.

-Jerod

Guest vanven
If your good line is a dry line you won't get any muck on it. If it isn't, you might want to take a hard look at getting a floating line because it will enhance your chances of success exponentially and because it will protect your other line from the muck. I'm thinking this is a win/win.

Do not leak this type of info to my wife, so far she is convinced I need a new Lamson Lightspeed. I would hate to have her find out my Orvis Battenkill would work just fine.

I have actually been debating a heavier rod and reel combo for night fishing and tossing bigger streamers at the big Taneycomo browns in the fall. Now if that heavier rod would also be usable around here for carping I might have just enough ammo to finally win this battle. Maybe a nice 6 wt with a fighting butt.

-Jerod

I don't know your wife and even if I did please be assured I would never leak anything to her. Actually, I think I should leak somethings to you and then you can decide what to do. Lamson reels are really quite amazing. In my current residence of 25 years (soon to be sold) I am 13 minutes from a saltwater beach. Don't get me wrong, Carp are indeed the World's Greatest Sportfish. I just happen to live closer to water that has salmon running in the summer than I live to good Carp water. I'll still drive hours to get to the Carp though and am dang glad to do it. In the saltwater. the sealed drag system in Lamson reels is excellent, simply excellent. Saltwater aside, Lamson reels are dynamite. I do own other brands with which I happy but have become very partial to Lamsons. The drag adjusts in small, smooth increments on Lamson reels which is great for playing large fish. I don't think you can go wrong with a Litespeed or a Velocity. I do think that the Velocity is a better buy though, but again, you can't go wrong. I have some experience with Waterworks/Lamson customer service and it is, like their products, excellent.

It would seem that you have at least one dilemma Vanven, whether to buy a Litespeed or an Orvis Batenkill. Here's another dilemma, whether to buy a Litespeed or a Velocity. Or, I suppose you could pose it this way, you have lots of dilemmas: whether to buy a Litespeed, a Velocity, a Battenkill, two of the aforementioned, or, best of all, ALL of them!! B) Now there you go, buy them all. Okay, that's excessive; forget the Battenkill and just get a Litespeed and a Velocity and you can field test them to see which one you want to get again. And again.

As to a 6 weight with a fighting butt, the St. Croix Legend Ultra model UF906.4.SW, saltwater rod is tremendous rod and a great value.

Congratulations on becoming a father in the near future. Fishing, particularly fly fishing for Carp, is the best; still, it pales in comparison to being a parent.

PS get the Lamson

I also second the Lamson. I have two velocities ( 2 and 3.5) and they have both performed flawlessly. Smooth drag is is an understatement. The reel is tough as nails. The completely sealed conical drag well be factor in it's longevity. Well worth every cent. I have a Battenkill Mid Arbor (size V), and while it is a very nice reel, I reach for the Lamson everytime. I know a few other members here own Lamsons and are quite pleased with them.

I picked up a Scott ARC 6 wt late last season. It was a closeout 2007 classics rod. It is 9'6" and has a fighting butt. I haven't fished a full season with it yet, but it has plenty of backbone for big fish, and nice power for casting; a real nice, smooth feel in your hand. It took me a while to find that rod, those ARCs are pretty popular rods with the steelheaders, and there was definitely more demand than supply. I also own an 10' 8wt ARC. I love both those rods.

Guest Carpenter 07

I just picked up a Lamson Litespeed last week. I have to say that I'm not that impressed by it. The adjustment on the drag goes from full open to dead stop in a very short turn of the knob, which also seems a bit small. I was really looking forward to getting the reel, so to say I was a little disappointed Sunday while fighting my 1st 13lb fish on it is understatement. It's a 2nd hand reel so I'm hesitant to blame it all on the manufacturer. Do any of you guys know if Lamson can re-work an old reel?

Guest vanven

I could talk gear all day. It is initially what pulled me away from backpacking. The gear and the 20 mile weekend death marches werent as much fun in my 30s as when i was 20.

Right now I am swinging a 9 foot 5wt Orvis TLS 9.5 rod with an Orvis Battenkill mid arbor reel. I bought it on a trip when my starter Cabelas combo had an unfortunate incident with my truck door. I dont really dislike the combo, but I wish I would have been a bit more informed when I made the purchase. I am now debating stepping up to a Z-Axis and replacing the reel with one of the new Sages, a Lampson, or a Waterworks. I really like the look of the large arbor reels and little things like line memory drive me crazy. I have been trying to rationalize this purchase for a while now. I feel like I am starting to turn into a rod/reel expert with the amount of information I have read.

Now if I could buy the new 5wt combo.....I could sell the old Orvis stuff.....I could buy a 6wt carp combo.......I like where this is going.

I am going to try and hook up with you guys at the end of the month.

-Jerod

Guest Carpenter 07

I took Mike (Carpflyfisher) to my favorite hole a week ago and watched him subdue a nice 12-13lb fish on a 5wt. I was pretty impressive. I'm a sucker for 7wt rods, I build a new one almost every year.

K&K flyfishers just had a huge sidewalk sale last week, you should call them and tell them what your looking for, they may have some discount gear still available. I walked in, found the Lamson Litespeed and pulled myself away before I could get all caught up in the moment.

Well, I did manage to purchase next years supply of fly tying materials too...

Ray

Guest vanven
I took Mike (Carpflyfisher) to my favorite hole a week ago and watched him subdue a nice 12-13lb fish on a 5wt. I was pretty impressive. I'm a sucker for 7wt rods, I build a new one almost every year.

K&K flyfishers just had a huge sidewalk sale last week, you should call them and tell them what your looking for, they may have some discount gear still available. I walked in, found the Lamson Litespeed and pulled myself away before I could get all caught up in the moment.

Well, I did manage to purchase next years supply of fly tying materials too...

Ray

I walked through the sidewalk sale thursday over the lunch hour. We may have bumped into each other.

I didnt see much. They did have some good deals on on reels. I was looking for something in a 5/6 weight and most of the reels I was really interested in were either too big or too small. They did have a Sage 2540 that I aboslutely loved for about 60% off. There were a couple of nice Scott rods as well. Most of that stuff was leftovers from reps. Now that is a job with perks I could handle.

-Jerod

I just picked up a Lamson Litespeed last week. I have to say that I'm not that impressed by it. The adjustment on the drag goes from full open to dead stop in a very short turn of the knob, which also seems a bit small. I was really looking forward to getting the reel, so to say I was a little disappointed Sunday while fighting my 1st 13lb fish on it is understatement. It's a 2nd hand reel so I'm hesitant to blame it all on the manufacturer. Do any of you guys know if Lamson can re-work an old reel?

One of the things I like about my Lamson reels is how much room there is for adjustment for the drag. Was the Litespeed new when you purchased it?

My velocities also have a wide range of drag adjustment. I think something might not be right with your reel, unless the litespeeds are different from the velocities, but I thought all the Lamsons had the same drag system, even the Konics.

Edited by 9weight

Guest Carpenter 07
One of the things I like about my Lamson reels is how much room there is for adjustment for the drag. Was the Litespeed new when you purchased it?

No, it is a second hand reel. I bought it last week from a local flyshops spring sale.

I may contact Lamson and see if it can be refurbished.

Guest vanven

I am staring at my desk shaking. I havent been fishing for 2 months. I am jonesing badly. I get off work at 3. My flyrod, reel, and flies are in my truck. I may have to run home and change clothes and hit an area lake. Ugh it is windy. Maybe this weekend. Is it bad if my wife has to drive herself to the hospital while I am out fishing?

-Jerod

Is it bad if my wife has to drive herself to the hospital while I am out fishing?

I'll have to remember that one in a few months. I think Mrs. 9weight would be pissed, but not surprised, LOL B)

Jerod, take care of that jones and hit the water man! It does the body good.

Guest Carpenter 07
I am staring at my desk shaking. I havent been fishing for 2 months. I am jonesing badly. I get off work at 3. My flyrod, reel, and flies are in my truck. I may have to run home and change clothes and hit an area lake. Ugh it is windy. Maybe this weekend. Is it bad if my wife has to drive herself to the hospital while I am out fishing?

-Jerod

When the glorious day of my sons birth came my wife TOLD me to go fishing. Her water broke at 4:00am, we immediately called the Doctor, he told us not to be at the hospital before 5:00pm. I was such a nervous wreck that she called my brother and my Father and told them to take me fishing. We stayed close to home and spent the bulk of the day on the river. Most of my friends still don't believe the story and just think I'm a cave man. But it's the truth. I think God was teaching me a lesson, we got skunked (the 1st time on the river to be skunked) but that evening I landed a beautiful 6lb 11 oz blue eyed boy.

What a great memory!

Ray

PS. I'm excited for you Jerod, it's truly an awesome thing to behold.