Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
roughfisher

5/18/08 report

Guest carpmanjake

NICE 9wt!!! read some of ur past posts as well uve been in some good fishing lately

Guest Carpenter 07

Great report, but I have to say I'm more impressed with the all the Red horse you tied into earlier, I'd love to get into some of those fellas. I bet they would be a BLAST on a 4-5wt.

Great report, but I have to say I'm more impressed with the all the Red horse you tied into earlier, I'd love to get into some of those fellas. I bet they would be a BLAST on a 4-5wt.

Hell yeah they are! Depending on the river system you are fishing, a 4/5 wt may be underpowered when the fish gets into the current. Even a 6 can be too light at times. Definitely a chore to protect that tippet though!

No offense to anyone here, but I much prefer to catch our native fish on the fly than a carp. Redhorse, buffalo, and other native sucker species can really put up a fight on that fly rod, some even comparable to the fabled carp. It is also much more of a challenge. At least by 2008, there are now some DVDs, books, magazine articles, and blogs written on the subject of fly rod carp. The fish is celebrated the world over. But next to nothing has been noted on the subject on catching under-utilized fish like bowfin, redhorse, and carpsuckers on the fly. Pretty much fly fishing's last frontier.

Guest Carpenter 07
Hell yeah they are! Depending on the river system you are fishing, a 4/5 wt may be underpowered when the fish gets into the current. Even a 6 can be too light at times. Definitely a chore to protect that tippet though!

No offense to anyone here, but I much prefer to catch our native fish on the fly than a carp. Redhorse, buffalo, and other native sucker species can really put up a fight on that fly rod, some even comparable to the fabled carp. It is also much more of a challenge. At least by 2008, there are now some DVDs, books, magazine articles, and blogs written on the subject of fly rod carp. The fish is celebrated the world over. But next to nothing has been noted on the subject on catching under-utilized fish like bowfin, redhorse, and carpsuckers on the fly. Pretty much fly fishing's last frontier.

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you. Keep up your journal entries and put the to hard cover in a few years.

No offense to anyone here, but I much prefer to catch our native fish on the fly than a carp. Redhorse, buffalo, and other native sucker species can really put up a fight on that fly rod, some even comparable to the fabled carp.

Nice report 9W.

I don't think the guys on this forum are exactly snobby. Come on, we're fly fishing for Carp. It's definitely on the upswing but it isn't exactly mainstream. At least not yet. It will be someday, but not yet. I applaud you for anything you can catch, in particular, anything you can catch on the fly. It's all good.

I don't think the guys on here are snobby either, but this is first and foremost a carp forum. I was trying not to step on anyone's toes by talking about other species on here

BTW, I caught some nice carp today, but they weren't on the fly. No tailers or cloopers yet to be seen. Hopefully sometime soon I'll be able to "sight fish" for carp in the sloughs up here. Until then, it's either fishing the river or resorting to garden hackle. Of course, today's report will be posted on my blog.

Guest Carpflyfisher

I couldn't agree more! Compared to trout flyfishing, carp flyfishing is ALMOST mainstream now compared to fishing for other native species like buffalo. Its a great challenge because very few have done this before....and there is virtually nothing written about it. Keep up the good work. Nice report....

When you figure out how to catch 20 pound buffalo, let me know!!!! B)

Mike

When you figure out how to catch 20 pound buffalo, let me know!!!! B)

pretty simple actually.

Mike gets in vehicle, gets on I-29 and drives to NW Minnesota.

Mike ties on one of 9weight's special nymphs.

Mike hangs on for his life.

Mike lands 20+ lb buffalo.

*note: actual experience may vary

Mike, or anyone else for that matter, if you find your way up to NW MN/Fargo, ND give me a holler and I can put you into some great spots for carp/buffalo that rarely get fished.