Carp Anglers Group Forums
CarpDaddy

Want to see a Fifty?

Today I put my walking shoes on and set about exploring ....... I found a situation that immediately brought to mind Marcus's recent post about areas where the primo spawners hang out till conditions are perfect. These holding areas are generally close enough for the big mamas to monitor the area but stay out of the ruckus created by juvenile spawners.

I have been watching (quite closely) the spawn evolve in two different bays. LAst week the spawn was coming on strong and then got severely curtailed by a major front moving in. High winds, and heavy rains changed the temp and turbidity of all the bays but most especially the inlet bays.

Last week there were cruisers coming and going that were good size, but most of the actively spawning fish were probably in the teens or low twenties.

This week there wasn't much active spawning but many cruisers in the "zone" who appeared to be those same teens from last week. The BIG difference today was the arrival of the Alpha Spawners to the holding area just off the zone. I was able to climb a tree and see teens and low twenties on my left (in 2~3 feet of fairly turbid water over the spawning area) and then look to my left and see nothing but high twenties, mostly thirties, and a pod of forties in 3~5 feet of water (turbid but cleaner than the spawnign area)

The temps were in the high eighties today with a harsh sun. The carp on my right were all staged up under lily pads for shade. I noticed a dark spot about 35 yards away that appeared to be four or five fish all clustered together..... There were only three fish there. Two forties and a giant that dwarfed them. Keep in mind that I was eight feet off the water with a very expensive pair of 10x42 binocs and got to look at this group of fish for over twenty minutes!

The giant never came to full horizontal like the the other fish. It was much darker and appeared to have a girth of stunning proportions. I took very bad video and a few stills. I didn't think the stills would amount to anything so I didn't take as many as I now know I should have.

I have every belief that this fish is well over the magical fifty mark.

post-1696-1212893456.jpg

post-1696-1212893471.jpg

post-1696-1212893565.jpg

post-1696-1212893574.jpg

I think this observation in some way validates some of the views expressed in Marcus Tackley's thread of a few weeks ago. The follow up is that there was almost zero (maybe three silt clouds in an hour) feeding being done...... and they ignored my oat pack. But there IS a chance and I will be back again.

Wish me luck! Hope you enjoyed the Tellin'

CarpDaddy

B) you have the best of it all. glad you are the president of the northern chapter of the Chattahoochee Carp Anglers. so good luck with the hunt for the beast.

cool pics

I am 100% open to suggestion!!!!!

I brought an old bag of Wonder Bread and tried sinking and floating to no avail. will try again. B)

Thanks for the support guys! Truth be told, I would LOVE to watch some of the forum's Most Talented work this situation. I think getting her to feed would be a major accomplishment..... and then the real work would start: The place is a mess of submerged lumber. I will bring my camera with polarized filter today... would LOVE to show you guys ("guys" meaning Gals too!) a clear video.

Rick

Spend a week there 24/7 and I bet you catch at least one!! These are the carp that we dream about and only Scott can catch.

Great Stuff Rick B)

I would have been like a kid in a candy shop watching that B)

I remember watching a few Goliaths many years ago in a certain French snaggy swim just drifting in and out of view. Some were so big and wide I started questioning whether I could land one even if I got it on B) I was so mesmerized by it all for quite a long period of time when I realized that I actually kneeling in an ants nest B)

Talk about ants in your pants :o :o

Freelining would be my suggestion and lovely piece of white bread molded around the hook. Dip it into the water before casting to get the casting weight needed. Then plop it straight into the lilly's when the fish are out of the way. Don't worry too much about the snags. With no weight on the line it allows you to keep the head up much easier B)

Go for it and Good Luck B)

I'd slip a nightcrawler to it B) .

Tommy for the win...

Seriously....sight fishing for "The One"..use something juicy and LIVE that moves and gives off scent. If you can somehow avoid the inevitable sunfish and bass, a crawler placed well beyond the fish(so as not to spook it) and brought back RIGHT in front of it's mouth, almost certainly would do it. A softshell crayfish under a float would be deadly also(but harder to position in the pads). Personally, I'd make sure I had about 80lb power pro and some 20 lb fluorocarbon terminal, and try with the float and a cray if I felt I could position it right.. A softshell crayfish weakly trying to reach the bottom within a foot of it's face should be almost impossible for it to ignore.

That's even a good place for a weedless fly(nymph tied on a weedless bass hook).

post-2289-1212943422.jpg

i think he\she is daring you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whatcha going to do now?

Guest Carp Zombie

Rick,

you pumped me up to land a fifty pounder.......the bait used was a piece of gum!!

post-1381-1212945371.jpg

When all else fails...Wheaties with strawberry soda B)

PS: Nice close ups.

Edited by Hankster

Rick,

you pumped me up to land a fifty pounder.......the bait used was a piece of gum!!

post-1381-1212945371.jpg

Very nice Ken, !!.. I see you are using a nice mat to protect the 50lber ..... but I have a strong feeling that the release was a 3 step shuffel followed with a huge heave and said 50lber doing a horizontal 360 ... entering the lovely blue water with a gigantic bellyflop.... you may need to work on that B)B)B)

Val

crawler dipped in fishy glug would be my choice. Chop some crawlers up and bait it mixed with bread.

Nice observation Rick.

Are you planning to take another look? I'd be interested to learn if you ever actually see the big boys and girls joining the spawning craziness.

Iain

BTW. I think dapping is the way to go to hook one. Use a short rod and be prepared to jump out of the tree when you set the hook. B)

The Rest of the Story

I fished another spot till noon and then went over to the "Bay of Pigs" and sure enough there were a few monsters still in residence. I am not sure if I saw the Beast though. They were all closer to shore which means I could now reach them with a waggler. Nice.

I did a test run about 75 yards away to make sure I had all my ducks in a row.... I was watching the waggler and glassing the fatties when I realized the waggler was ggggggggone! Needless to say I missed the strike and was not happy with myself!

I crept into postion determined to make amends.... I cast out over about four huge shapes and the wind blew it right back in on them. B) I'm thinking that I may not be the world's greatest float fisherman, but man, I sure am LUCKY! B)B)B)

I was chatting on the cell when the Waggler dipped and then slid to the right!!!! Thwip! I set the hook ....... on nothing. To top it off my bungling encouraged the biggies to drift out towards deeper water. B)

I climbed a nearby tree to confirm that Yes, Elvis had left the Building.

Spawning was again spotty at best and No I did not see any of the biggies participating in the spawn. I could glass the whole bay from my vantage and the water was not deep enough to hide those beasts!

I stopped by Wally World and purchased polarized glasses that wrap around my regular glasses ($20) Talk about comfort! No more squinting !!! Very pleased.

The story is not over, just on Pause for now.

Rick