Carp Anglers Group Forums
john montana

30 lber

My goal the last two years has been a 30 lb common. Pretty much all of last year was spent just figuring out what type of water the bigger fish hang out in, and where I could expect to find a really big carp. I had a few shots at big fish, but didn't really put it together until this season. This year I fished specific water types, and really hunted for bigger fish. I had landed 9 fish over 20 lbs before today, but still hadn't managed to land a 30 lber. I think i've had 3-4 fish that size on the line this year, but they have straightened my hook, broke me off in massive weedbeds, and sawed through my leader in rock piles.

It finally came together today! For some reason, the water was teeming with carp, many of them large. On the day I landed a 15, 17, 18, 18, 19 22lb carp, plus one more. The biggest of the day didn't fight the hardest, and I really didn't think he was that big until I actually put him in the net. The digital scale read 34 lbs when i first lifted him up, and then settled in at 31.2 lb. My net weighs just under a lb, so it was a 30 lb fish!

IMGP1144.jpg

I caught him on a small san juan worm, with a tiny red bead head for weight. The fish was holding in about 2 ft of water, not really tailing but when I put the worm about 8 inches away from him he simply turned his head and ate it. A fairly subtle, but at the same time obvious take.

All in all...a pretty good day!

Edited by john montana

Very nice! Congrats on the 30.

B)B)B) wow and on a flyrod , amazing . a well deserved congrats . B)B)

Very impresive fish at any time but on a fly rod wow. B)

B)B) outstanding fish. just outstanding!!!!!!!!!! B)B)

Thanks guys...here is another picture. I was amazed at how deep and broad this fish was. I couldn't get many pictures though as I was by myself.

IMGP1148.jpg

I know the feeling about fishing alone, the majority of my fishing is solo. It really sucks when you need to take a photo.

I caught him on my 9 ft 7 wt albright EXS. good rod, fun to cast but i've broken it twice. i get nervous every time I hook a good fish.

as for pics alone, wendy berrell introduced me to the gorilla pod. i love that thing!