Carp Anglers Group Forums
john montana

30 lber

Pretty much all of last year was spent just figuring out what type of water the bigger fish hang out in, and where I could expect to find a really big carp. I had a few shots at big fish, but didn't really put it together until this season. This year I fished specific water types, and really hunted for bigger fish.

First off congrats on a spectacular fish with the fly rod. I know you have worked very hard to meet your goal. It's damn cool when a plan comes together. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to turn this into a learning experience. Would you be willing to share some of your thoughts on your learning curve about where and how to find bigger fish?

Incredible Catch! B)

Nice to hear your careful planning and large fish hunting has paid off and paid off BIG TIME!

WTG!

Steve

Thanks everyone. I was pretty happy to finally get that big carp. I've had a few shots this year, and was running out of time. I did catch a bigger grass carp this year, but that doesn't really count in my book. THe commons just fight much better, so hanging onto a 30 with a flyrod is a pretty good challenge.

As for water types, I have found that the biggest fish all avoid the mud flats. you might occasionally find a big fish in the mud flats, but for the most part they frequent gravel or cobble flats. I like areas that have larger cobble, even boulders. I think the big guys like protein and eat a lot of crayfish, so the larger the rocks, the more likely you'll find bigger fish. They definitely frequent different water than the smaller fish. You have to be willing to sacrifice #s for size, which i'm willing to do on occasion. Also, they MUST have immediate access to deep water. I still don't see really big ones on extended flats, but instead on small flats with boulders surrounded by deep water. that means more walking, less actual fishing to get to the little areas for maybe 1-2 shots at bigger fish. I fish the same type of flies, but make much longer casts as well. the bigger fish are much more susceptible to vibration or footfalls and will spook from a great distance.

just my two cents...it is probably different in another area.

Mr. J Montana, congratulations for your carpon, I know that feel, mix sens, nice our, and meavy fish on lifetime. The year was done¡¡¡¡

and remember, If some day you come to méxico, call me to try fish on big carps together, see you

Thanks Mark...You'll have to join Wendy and I this spring. He needs to do some scouting on the MS!

John -- a huge inspiration !! Might I use your experience to further Carping in CA?Cheers,

Brid.