Carp Anglers Group Forums
Guest billynwtf

7wt or 8wt

Guest billynwtf

Looking at the albright web sit and they are having a heck of a sale. Everything is half off. Just wondering for most carp fishing what do I need 7wt or 8wt. I cant decide on one maybe I will get both

I prefer a 7 wt, and LOVE the way the albright EXS casts. That said...i'd go another direction for a primary carp rod. I have broken my EXS 3 times (most recently sunday). You can point to angler error to some degree, but I do catch a lot of big, heavy carp and have a pretty good idea how to handle them. In all 3 cases with the albright, the fish made a run while fairly close and the rod snapped. I think they made the walls too thin in order to keep the weight down.

Too bad, because it casts like a dream.

I fish a 6 wt and an 8 wt. Both are great rods and each one fits certain situations better than the other. I like the 6 wt for finer presentation and the 8 for throwing heavier stuff. Of course the 6 wt is lighter in my hand and more comfortable to hold and cast all day long than the 8 wt, but the 8 provides strength when fighting fish in heavy currnet, or larger fish. That said, I've probably caught more carp on my 6 wt this season, and go figure which rod I broke on a fish? The 8 wt.

Guest Carpenter 07

I'm a fan of 7 wt's. My fishing partner uses an 8 wt and it seems a little to heavy or clumsy for me. Welcome aboard!

Ray

Guest Carpenter 07

No experience with any Sage rods. I've spent a lot of time looking into the TFO rods and everything I've heard say's there as good as any rod out there. I'm planning on building a few of them this winter.

Guest Carpenter 07

Did the Albright just have a thin spot in it's blank? Or were they 3 different rods? My St. Croix 4wt that recently broke was just a poor rod in my opinion.

same rod, on its 3rd repair.

I think the albright is just too thin walled for carp. they cut a lot of material out to keep the weight down. great rod to cast, but not super durable. the saltwater forums were abuzz with albright breakage a while back, saw that AFTER i bought it of course. good rod, but not cut out for carp.

There are three places that I keep my eyes on for some very aggressive prices:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/1398_Fl...ses.html?page=1

http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverMontanaFishing/Default.aspx Click on their clearance specials

http://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingstore.com/default.aspx Click on 3D Sale

It's already at the end of the season, if you can wait another 30 days or so, the prices will be dropping like lead in deep water.

Note, I ordered 6 rods at the end of last season, one was sold out but I received 5 of the 6 at about 33 cents on the dollar from Bob Marriots. I bought three St. Croix Legend Elites that retail for $520 for $169 each. I then grabbed a Legend Ultra and an Avid. They have all been very good to me and my family this past season and I am a cheap fella by nature.

Rick

Rick

John I thought the VT2's were too whippy for my taste. It was a 9'0 6 wt I tried and I thought it was a little too soft. I know guys keep championing the TFO's but they just don't feel right in my hand and their finish seems a little sloppy IMO. I've always had good luck with Redingtons. The CPS 9674 looks like it might be worth checking out. Of course I love my Scotts. The ARC model I have is a progressive tapered 9'6" 6 wt with a fighting butt. Probably one of the most perfect carp fly rods I've had the pleasure to know. They don't make the ARC series any more, but they sell E2 models in 9'6" 6 or 7 wts. It says it's a large diameter thin walled blank construction so I don't know if you want to shy away from that or not. They have a their base model A2 in a 9'6" 7 wt that looks pretty sweet for the price. Otherwise it would be a step up to their S4 line (9'6" 6 & 7 wt), which of course are cherry.

Ever think about a switch rod? Beulah has a nice 10'6" 6/7wt Switch Rod. I've also been looking at a Scott 2TH 10'8" 8wt. That may be my alternate plan if my 10' ARC 8wt can't get repaired.

Let us know what you decide on.

Guest Rollincast
John I thought the VT2's were too whippy for my taste. It was a 9'0 6 wt I tried and I thought it was a little too soft. I've always had good luck with Redingtons. The CPS 9674 looks like it might be worth checking out.

John,

I would agree with 9weight on the VT2. I have a 4wt that is a great dry fly rod, closer to a true med. action than a med. fast. Sage claims that the taper changes as you get into higher weights, with that being said...I know several guys who throw 7wt VT2's in the surf with 250 grn Streamer Express lines and love it. Also have a Redington CPS 5wt, awsome rod. Very fast and has some serious backbone. Very nice Carpin rod.

My go to rod is a Sage Launch, 9ft 8wt. Best bang for the buck. Nice gentle presentation when needed and a serious backbone. Great deals on e-bay.

Randy

I'll go cast a the vt2 and some scotts. i'll try the TFO's as well. I'd buy an echo in a hearbeat, but i want a 9 ft 6 inch 7 wt, and hey don't make one. i tend to like slower rods, hated the sage xp...love most winstons. winston wants too much money for their rods anymore though.

I'd buy an echo in a hearbeat, but i want a 9 ft 6 inch 7 wt, and hey don't make one.

They do make a 10' model though. You might like the extra 6". I know I do on my 8. Just saying....

I have a fast action 10', 7 wt that I use for steelies. I have been fishing more with the 9', 7 wt for carp. As we talked before it gives me the creeps to land a big fish that is still green, or not ready to come into the net when the fish is close and I am trying to put the fish in the net the rod bends at an angle that just makes me cringe. On the steelhead chat boards most if not all of the spey boys, beach their catches. I love my 9 and 10' rods, but the truth is, it is probably easier and less risky as far as snapping a rod, to net a fish with an 8'6" rod, just because of the angle of the rod when netting. I find this also to be more so with the very fast action rods that I prefer. With a slower action rod that bends much more than the fast action rods that I prefer, I believe you have less of a chance to snap the thing.

The only point that I am making is that there are trade offs in whatever you decide.

I'm not a fan of 10 ft rods. Just too big and clunky (at least the ones that I've fished.) To be honest, i hated my 9 ft 6 inch for a while when I first got it. I bought it as a nymphing rod for trout on the deschutes, and just didn't like it. When i got into carp I gave it another shot and it was a nearly perfect carp rod. the only drawback...6 wt is just a touch light for most of the fish I chase. a 7 would be perfect. I need to find the time to get to a shop and cast a bunch of rods.

I'm not a fan of 10 ft rods. Just too big and clunky (at least the ones that I've fished.) To be honest, i hated my 9 ft 6 inch for a while when I first got it. I bought it as a nymphing rod for trout on the deschutes, and just didn't like it. When i got into carp I gave it another shot and it was a nearly perfect carp rod. the only drawback...6 wt is just a touch light for most of the fish I chase. a 7 would be perfect. I need to find the time to get to a shop and cast a bunch of rods.

I know what you mean, a 6 is sometimes a bit light, and the 8 a bit too heavy. a 7 would be about perfect. Lucky for me, most of these stunted northern MN carp can be handled with my 6. B)

I casted a few scotts and echos..even tried a TFO. Then I picked up the sage vt2 in a 9 ft 6 inch 7 wt. it fit me perfectly, and I've already caught two carp with it! I bought it this afternoon, and took the kids out to a small pond, picked up two little 5 lbers on a montana carrot (they just inhaled that fly). nice first outing! Hope to hit the big river soon and put that rod through its paces. the pond carp are nothing like columbia river fish, and i usually fish for those pond fish with my 4 wt!

I think the vt2 will be an ideal carp rod.