Carp Anglers Group Forums

Ethical question...

fishhead

Hypothetical Scenario:

One is out fishing for Carp and by chance a BIG one is brought to the net. With current State Records in hand, this fish is confirmed a NEW STATE RECORD and clearly besting the old record by several pounds.

Does one keep and kill the record fish as required by state regs to register the fish? Or does one simply photo and release the fish? The current Catch and Release Record would obviously be broken and newly established in the angler's name provided the requirements are met. They consist of fish species, photographs, specs of weight, length and girth by tape measure, a witness signature and live release of the fish.

What say ye? Keep and kill for the State Record or release for the C&R record?

The fish if killed would most likely NOT be taxidermied but possibly feeding a family.

For me it boils down to this: Do I REALLY have some great need to see my name in print for catching and killing a big Carp? It could be okay to brag on to some but - No, not really some big needed ego thing for me. Would it promote the carp angling sport in Utah to break the record? probably not? The spearfishers here kill tons of carp in their contests annually. This state promotes death to carp as far as I've observed.

Just thought I'd ask.

The C&R record would be achievable easy enough as I've already come within an inch of matching it. The trick would be having a witness late at night. Therefore the catch and kill and weigh in on certified scales would be needed for the state record.

Steve

"Shields Up , Number one! Maximum power to forward shields!"

I love these ethical questions. I will be very sincere in my answer. I also realize that those that post to these boards are from a world wide audience. The fish would be killed with no hesitation. Where I fish, there are literally thousands upon thousands of carp. They net them commercially to try and control the population.

Enjoy a shot of a commercial opperation,

Rick

post-3296-1221249604.jpg

Unless you can figure out a way to transport said fish to the biologist and then back to be released, Im gonna say Id have to settle for a c&r record.

I second that. C&R.

There is no wrong answer.

This site maintains a list of State Records and CAG records by state. By doing so, we (CAG) do, at least in part, support either option.

Would you 'take' a state record catfish, bluegill, sucker, bass etc. Your answer to that question, in my opinion, is the same as the answer to your question.

If it makes you feel better, carry a large plastic container with a lid and an aerator to carry it to an official weigh station.

`

Hypothetical Scenario:

One is out fishing for Carp and by chance a BIG one is brought to the net. With current State Records in hand, this fish is confirmed a NEW STATE RECORD and clearly besting the old record by several pounds.

Does one keep and kill the record fish as required by state regs to register the fish? Or does one simply photo and release the fish? The current Catch and Release Record would obviously be broken and newly established in the angler's name provided the requirements are met. They consist of fish species, photographs, specs of weight, length and girth by tape measure, a witness signature and live release of the fish.

The fish if killed would most likely NOT be taxidermied but possibly feeding a family.

For me it boils down to this: Do I REALLY have some great need to see my name in print for catching and killing a big Carp? It could be okay to brag on to some but - No, not really some big needed ego thing for me. Would it promote the carp angling sport in Utah to break the record? probably not? The spearfishers here kill tons of carp in their contests annually. This state promotes death to carp as far as I've observed.

Just thought I'd ask.

The C&R record would be achievable easy enough as I've already come within an inch of matching it. The trick would be having a witness late at night. Therefore the catch and kill and weigh in on certified scales would be needed for the state record.

Steve

Which is really the better story anyway?

Guy cathes record... or guy releases potential record in favor of c&r?

I'd keep the fish safely in a sack, call a few witnesses and somebody from the news media. I'd Weigh it, talk a bit about the quality of my scale, show them how it's zeroed... then I'd say how dissapointed I am that I can;t get the record without killing this fabulous fish, and I'd release it in front of them.

You might be prtrayed as a wacko, but you'll certainly make the feel good section ofthe local news or newspaper.

Which is really the better story anyway?

Guy cathes record... or guy releases potential record in favor of c&r?

I'd keep the fish safely in a sack, call a few witnesses and somebody from the news media. I'd Weigh it, talk a bit about the quality of my scale, show them how it's zeroed... then I'd say how dissapointed I am that I can;t get the record without killing this fabulous fish, and I'd release it in front of them.

You might be prtrayed as a wacko, but you'll certainly make the feel good section ofthe local news or newspaper.

Atta boy Louis,

Having been in that exact situation at least once before, I can say that I did not even think of killing the fish to claim such a record. Also I know with certainty that the current Ontario record has been broken many, many times before & so even if I'd gone ahead and claimed it , the record would not be REALLY true. For me, fish of that size usually come at a place where there is no-one accesible and to even get a witness it going to be hard work . Price I pay for enjoying wilderness fishing I suppose!!

ATB Carpsava

Edited by Carpsava

Five years ago I would have killed it and reveled in my "record" for years and years..... I would have made business cards with my name and "Record Holder" printed in big bold letters on it... I would have had the beastie mounted up and prominently displayed in a local pub so that I could tell outrageous stories of how I captured "The Record". I may even have gotten a free beer or two ... it would have been a blast, dammit. B)

Now? Welllllllllllll... now I would land it on a waterproof feather bed with flop-proof sides. I would weigh it with a $110 scale (uncertified) and put it back into a special transfer bag to get it from scale back to feather bed. I would apply medicinal ointments to any injuries it may have sustained and talk soothingly so as not to startle it. Then I would take the entire bed into the water (making it a Water Bed) and transfer the fish into a holding sack.

At that point I would call as many people as possible and hope for the best. With much fanfare, I would release said beastie back into the depths.

CAG ....... You have ruined me.

CarpDaddy

( B) )

Five years ago I would have killed it and reveled in my "record" for years and years..... I would have made business cards with my name and "Record Holder" printed in big bold letters on it... I would have had the beastie mounted up and prominently displayed in a local pub so that I could tell outrageous stories of how I captured "The Record". I may even have gotten a free beer or two ... it would have been a blast, dammit. B)

Now? Welllllllllllll... now I would land it on a waterproof feather bed with flop-proof sides. I would weigh it with a $110 scale (uncertified) and put it back into a special transfer bag to get it from scale back to feather bed. I would apply medicinal ointments to any injuries it may have sustained and talk soothingly so as not to startle it. Then I would take the entire bed into the water (making it a Water Bed) and transfer the fish into a holding sack.

At that point I would call as many people as possible and hope for the best. With much fanfare, I would release said beastie back into the depths.

CAG ....... You have ruined me.

CarpDaddy

( B) )

And that folks, is why I call him 'Daddy B)

Here in Texas it only has to be weighed with certified scales and have one witness. You do not have to kill your catch, but then again we are ahead of the curve in the US I suppose. You can even have your scales certified after catching the fish to validate the record.

Guest Tommy Robinson

As Rod Stewart once said, every picture tells a story B) . I wouldn't be thrilled to see someone kill a fish just for the sake of bearing the name in the record books but if it's within the legal rights, so be it. Whatever makes you happy - I say go for it. I have always wanted to catch the MD record but I certainly wouldn't be transporting or killing it to do so.

This would be my choice. I've fished my state for about 5 decades, I don't know the name of any state record holder.

Guest carpernorm

C&R, without hesitation. Ontario requires that you not only kill your potential record but keep it for 90 days in case they wish to examine it! Where on earth would anyone store a 50/60 lb carp for 90 days? The current Ontario record is a mere 38lbs, I know of several people that landed fish in the 40lbs+ range and one person that has had two 54lb'ers. Also there's "Red October" , a carp of I believe 64lbs that that was netted in the fish trap at Coot's Paradise (part of Hamilton Harbour) and live released.

I would hate to be known and vilified by other carp anglers as the @#$%^&* that killed a large carp just to claim a record.

Norm.

Hypothetical Scenario:

Just thought I'd ask.

Steve

At least here (in Georgia) I don't think you have to kill the fish...I may be wrong, but I believe if you have certified scales (and some folks do) and a witness the fish would still count...but just given those two choices, I would weigh the fish myself, take a picture and turn him loose.

Just take alot of good quality pictures and then release the fish. Nice photos are worth more than seeing ones name in a record book, plus gas costs too much to drive your fisheries biologists office to have it verified.

macfish here. The longer I live the less interest I have in impressing someone else with a record of something I have done. All that really matters is that I know what I've done. Sometimes it is really nice to have shared such a grand capture with someone else, but if I've enjoyed myself, that is enough. As far as any fish goes unless I'm specifically trying to catch fish to eat, 99.9% of the time they will be returned. Jonathan