Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MinnowMagnet

Backyard Flounder

Guest MinnowMagnet

Lately the lagoon in my yard has been a little brackish lately because of all the recent rain so I thought I would take a stab at some flounder. I have never caught a flounder in the lagoon, but I saw a dead one earier in the year and tried for them, but could not keep off the mudsucker. Today I setup a slider with a size 8 hook and some nightcrawler and casted out. After about 5 minutes I got hit and it was a 10" Flounder. After that all I caught was 7 mudsuckers.

pict0014pp8.jpg

Does anyone know some good baits to catch small and medium sized flounder without catching mudsuckers? Also, are there any good lures for small flounder?

Flounder will take Blood worms and sand worms !

Cut the white belly off one of the mudsuckers in about the shape of a big minnow. Hook it once in what would be the head of the minnow, with a small lead about a foot from the hook, throw out and slowly retreave. You won't feel the bite, it will just stop like its hung, wait about 30 seconds and set the hook.

Tom.

Cut the white belly off one of the mudsuckers in about the shape of a big minnow. Hook it once in what would be the head of the minnow, with a small lead about a foot from the hook, throw out and slowly retreave. You won't feel the bite, it will just stop like its hung, wait about 30 seconds and set the hook.

Tom.

Small bucktails with the above or skinny strips of squid rigged the same way bounced along the bottom could help.

On the east coast we use a carolina rig with strips of squid or cut bait(usually mullet) and drag on the bottom. It's usually an egg sinker, a colored bead or two, a swivel and your hooklength. We then drag this along the bottom and the hookups are fairly good.

Guest MinnowMagnet

A mudsucker is a yellowfin goby, here is one of many I caught earier today on a crappie jig. They are agressive. The one in the pic is about 6" long.

pict0001lu8.jpg

You might try using smaller jigs to catch smaller (2-3") gobies and use them as the bait for flounders. Fish them just the way Tom suggested for the belly strips.

The southern flounder is a fish eater, so I would imagine that the California species is too.

Guest MinnowMagnet
You might try using smaller jigs to catch smaller (2-3") gobies and use them as the bait for flounders. Fish them just the way Tom suggested for the belly strips.

The southern flounder is a fish eater, so I would imagine that the California species is too.

only the huge ones eat other fish. They have tiny toothless mouths, like bluegill mouths. a 10" starry has the mouth of a 3" goby.