Carp Anglers Group Forums
shad

Which State for a vacation???

Guest T.Barry

Don't forget Ontario, Canada!! I live 25 mins. south of Lake ontario, and 30 mins NW of Lake Erie so I have a ton of carp fly fishing close to home. Lake Ont. and Erie give up a lot of 30`s every year on the fly rod!!!

I'd fish MI in a second. Didn't mean to offend with that comment. It seems like TX and the NE is where I see the reports of really big 40+ lb fish. I'm sure the Columbia has carp that size as well...can't wait to run across one on the flats!

No offense at all, but since you base your ideas on what is reported on the cag site, that explains it a bit, as to date the big fish folks concentrated on either Texas, Tennessee, or wherever Osmond happens to be at the moment!

Truth is though that many of us here in Michigan are spread pretty thin, and just have not put in the time to break those numbers open. That being said...I think that if Ozzy, for instance, lived here, he'd have double the number of 40's to his name;).

Big one last year was 32, a guy snagged one ( trolling for kings) that was pushing the 50 mark. I have seen a handfull in my swim over the 40# mark as well.

Big one last year was 32, a guy snagged one ( trolling for kings) that was pushing the 50 mark. I have seen a handfull in my swim over the 40# mark as well.

Yep Dave, that place will produce a 40 or better soon, I'm sure.

Guest Driftless

Lake Michigan has better flats on the Michigan side, however Wisconsin has some good fishing too. I have fished the Michigan side (lucky enough that my parents live on the water, drop the kids off and fish the flats with my wife) and it really is as good as people have made it. We fished way too early in the spawn, and still ran into hundreds of huge fish in the few hours we were out there each day. Plenty of public beach access, zero crowds, nice cities nearby in Traverse city, Charlevoix, Petoskey etc. Plus in warmer weather smallmouth bass follow the carp around and feed when the shoals are mudding. Nice sized smallies and the chance for some trophy carp.

Yeah kev, leave the wife at home with the kids... come for the wedding and we can go fishing. come a couple days early..

1 day for kings

1 for sheephead

2 for carp:)

Guys

Thanks for the help,still trying to make my mind up.Its either Lake Michigan for the endless flats or Washington as Ive never been that far west and could move on to some trouting in Montana.

One question about Michigan- is the lake shore public or are there private parts?

Cheers Colin

Guest Windknot

There are plenty of places to fish where you can get access. There is plenty of private land around the great lakes, but the way I understand it if you stay in the water after utilizing a public access site you can go anywhere you want. This even means accessing the flats that are off private land. I am not sure if this is a Michigan law or a federal law. Perhaps others might have a better understanding of this than I do. I never hear of anybody have water access problems around Traverse City when fishing for carp.

Hi

OK Ive booked,it was a tough call as I normally Striper fish round Cape Cod and RI then but those Golden Bones look so Cool :rolleyes:

Flying into Detroit on June 11th leaving 21st.

Will probably be using the State campgrounds round Traverse City, if anyones around the area at that time it would be good to meet up.

All the best Colin