Carp Anglers Group Forums
Jerome

A new underwater video - playing with a long hair...

Thanks for your hard work Jerome, all of your videos are always educational. Have you ever caught any when the water was colder like mid 30's temp? I've been told the cutoff water temp for fish activity is about 38 degrees, do you agree? Obviously the water is colder than that when ice fishing, but I think your last name has to be Osmond to actually get one LOL! I haven't been able to test it much this winter due to a new addition to the family this December! Jeff

Good one Jerome :rolleyes:

As an owner of an aqua-vu I’m impressed with your results, a lot of people don’t realize how hard and frustrating it is to get that right on money. And on top of that you just end up messing with camera all day instead of fishing.

I have questions, it looks like that only bigger fish got hooked and the smaller ones got away with just sucking up the bait. What do you think?

Obviously a lot of fish were sight feeding in which case they saw something, inspect it with their mouth and eventually reject it, sometimes they got hooked sometimes they spit it out.

I do agree that when fishing highly visible baits especially fake one you should use very short hair or even no hair at all and just prick bait with a hook. But if you would use let’s say sweet corn you could get away with longer hair since fish would suck it deeper instead of just touching it with their mouths. Maybe that’s good way to get bigger fish.

as temperature goes I think with decent depth even with the ice on top water on the bottom will stay around or above 40F

This was a great video.........I really enjoyed this one.

My missus very nearly bought me a Aqua View for Xmas with a recorder....I talked her out of it......Seeing this I wish she had just gone and bought me it.

Very impressive :rolleyes:

That is an awesome video Jerome... I have a couple of questions about the camera though....

1. How far away is it from the fish/rig? I can't believe that the camera doesn't spook 'em....

2. How far away from the bank is it?

Amazing stuff! :rolleyes:

camera actually attracts whole bunch of fish

they all come and look at it, sometimes you can freak them out by turning on the light while they look at it

as the visibility goes I couldn’t get more than 6-12’ in Potomac on regular clarity when its muddy only few inches

the rapunzel rig?

:rolleyes:

Thanks for your hard work Jerome, all of your videos are always educational. Have you ever caught any when the water was colder like mid 30's temp? I've been told the cutoff water temp for fish activity is about 38 degrees, do you agree? Obviously the water is colder than that when ice fishing, but I think your last name has to be Osmond to actually get one LOL! I haven't been able to test it much this winter due to a new addition to the family this December! Jeff

Jeff, the physics of water are actually such that that water is denser at 38F, so it falls at the bottom and only the upper layers get colder (possibly freezing). So since carp are bottom feeders, it would be quite uncommon to catch them at a colder water temp than 38F. I often caught them at the same spot where I recorded the video at a water temp lower than 40F.

I have questions, it looks like that only bigger fish got hooked and the smaller ones got away with just sucking up the bait. What do you think?

Obviously a lot of fish were sight feeding in which case they saw something, inspect it with their mouth and eventually reject it, sometimes they got hooked sometimes they spit it out.

In one case, a bigger fish did suck the bait with the long hair and got pricked after smaller ones failed to be pricked. But overall, I landed a mix of sizes including real small ones, so I don't think this is very conclusive. Still, it certainly makes sense to me that a bigger fish would have a better chance of being pricked with a long hair rig than a smaller fish, by virtue of having a bigger mouth and probably sucking harder.

That is an awesome video Jerome... I have a couple of questions about the camera though....

1. How far away is it from the fish/rig? I can't believe that the camera doesn't spook 'em....

2. How far away from the bank is it?

Thanks, Stewart.

1. The underwater camera is VERY close to the fish, just a few inches away. The camera is moulded in a colorful fish shape, and yes, carp seem to like their new buddy and ignore the fact that it's actually a spy! :rolleyes:

2. Very close as well, maybe a foot. As you can see on the first pic, I fish along a wall, if you look closely, you can see the cable going down the wall and the underwater camera is down there. Actually, this configuration is what allows me to record proper material because I can twist the cable to adjust the camera's position as well as slightly adjust the rig's position to get it in front of the camera. Although that's easier said than done!

Thanks, Stewart.

1. The underwater camera is VERY close to the fish, just a few inches away. The camera is moulded in a colorful fish shape, and yes, carp seem to like their new buddy and ignore the fact that it's actually a spy! :rolleyes:

2. Very close as well, maybe a foot. As you can see on the first pic, I fish along a wall, if you look closely, you can see the cable going down the wall and the underwater camera is down there. Actually, this configuration is what allows me to record proper material because I can twist the cable to adjust the camera's position as well as slightly adjust the rig's position to get it in front of the camera. Although that's easier said than done!

Wow.... cool.... now we just need to get Alex to bring his to the Basin and get him to hang it over the wall and see what's going on down below!! :yourock:

good stuff jerome thanks :rolleyes: i found it interesting that the fish pay no attention at all to the actual fishing line and simply brush it away (swim thru it) was that mono or power pro ? and is it the same as youve used for all the videos im wondering if all the talk on flourocarbon lines etc mean anything to carp or do they not care ( just another underwater obstacle they encounter like sticks branches etc )

Guest MajorLeagueCarp

Really interesting video Jerome, thanks for sharing! It looked to me like the whole bolt rig concept is about 50% successful, and that the resistance of the lead contributes to as many rejections as it does hook ups. It would be interesting to see a MUCH longer hooklink fished with a long hair to compare...or maybe a running type rig with less resistance. I have an article in an old UK magazine with a photograph of a rig with a four inch hair with a single boilie on the end of it, it was apparently very very succesfull on one of the super hard big fish waters over there....either that or the article was a big wind up!

good stuff jerome thanks :yourock: i found it interesting that the fish pay no attention at all to the actual fishing line and simply brush it away (swim thru it) was that mono or power pro ? and is it the same as youve used for all the videos im wondering if all the talk on flourocarbon lines etc mean anything to carp or do they not care ( just another underwater obstacle they encounter like sticks branches etc )

I always use Powerpro as main line. Never used fluorocarbon for such purpose. I did try to record a video about a rig with a fluorocarbon hooklink, and... this failed miserably for whatever reason and I never came back to it!

Agreed, this talk about fluorocarbon visibility (or lack of) sounds like either BS, or something only applicable to very pressured environments.

Really interesting video Jerome, thanks for sharing! It looked to me like the whole bolt rig concept is about 50% successful, and that the resistance of the lead contributes to as many rejections as it does hook ups. It would be interesting to see a MUCH longer hooklink fished with a long hair to compare...or maybe a running type rig with less resistance. I have an article in an old UK magazine with a photograph of a rig with a four inch hair with a single boilie on the end of it, it was apparently very very succesfull on one of the super hard big fish waters over there....either that or the article was a big wind up!

Actually, I didn't see all the Korda underwater stuff (the guy's ramblings gets on my nerves!), but I did see one where they did this precise test, using a super long hooklink. And the results were just so obvious. BAD BAD idea. This was on a pressured water with pretty big fish. Now sure, you can catch with almost any rig, and some Euro magazines tend to include articles with guys explaining how successful their new rig is because they caught... one... carp with it! :rolleyes:

I would indeed be curious to test a running rig. Personally I lost trust in running rigs, I am convinced you lose LOADS of fish which would reject the rig while a bolt rig would have worked, but that's just me and my theories, I never actually tried. Might be tricky to record though because it doesn't take that many inches for carp to move out of the camera display.