Carp Anglers Group Forums
CarpDaddy

In search of a February pull-down!

Today I will go forth and seek to catch my first ever Feb carp. Any still water in New York State is currently under a LOT of very thick ice so that leaves the rivers.......

I'm not sure I expect to find carp in an active water situation but I guess I will never know if I stay home and daydream about April!

Photos to follow

CarpDaddy

believe or not waters actually warmer up your way this time of year ( hudson that is ) your river temps are a balmy .2 degrees warmer than ours :rolleyes:

Well, I gotta be honest.... It went about as I expected: Nuttin'

The real joy for me was spending two hours this morning pulling out all the gear I needed, and then putting most of it away again when I realized I would not be able to carry it all! :rolleyes: Made up a lovely little batch of method that I am sure went unappreciated. Note: If you make up a batch of method and don't have time to let it "cure" over night just turn on your electric blanket to Hi and let sit for as long as time will allow. (DO NOT mention this technique to fiances, girlfriends, or wives or things will heat up way to quickly ....)

No signs of activity anywhere. Even the seagulls looked depressed.

Still..... the thrill of what MIGHT happen warmed this fisherman's heart and sharpened my anticipation of the Spring to come.

I predict the great CAG 50lb. Barrier will be broken this year! Will it come from the East coast or the West coast? Will John put the Midwest on the map this year with a giant? Does the Tennessee River have a 50+ to match all those monster 40's? LadyBird, Deep Creek, Tomhannock, St. Lawrence River......... or some 10 acre Reservoir that is flying below the radar? Will it come during one of the many great carp events on the schedule? and most importantly: Will the lucky angler be prepared to deal with the occasion? Will he or she have a keepsack big enough? Will they have a good camera and a steady hand to take the photos? Will they have a witness (or three?) Will they have a certified, or certifiable, scale with them when the time comes? Will they have a nice soft tape measure ($3 at any Walmart sewing section) to get some accurate length and width measurements? I sure hope so!

Best of luck to all for a healthy and happy 2009 Season!!

Rick

post-1696-1235330658.jpg

The long walk out....

post-1696-1235330676.jpg

Rick -- glad you at least got out and wetted a line - although it looks like it was a little on the chilly side!! I had a very similar day, - knowing we had another storm front coming in last night, I headed out to the local river -- only to find the recent rains had somewhat swelled things -

2rylp52.jpg

I normally set up out where the reeds are!! Big deal for me was though, after never seeing much else than little "bassy" things flip out, there were some rather large fish bow waving right where I was fishing. However, they weren't interested in my baits!!

Neat pic of your rods on the icy now -- shows fortitude -- or madness!! Either way, thanks for posting and sharing!!

Cheers,

Brid.

Well, I gotta be honest.... It went about as I expected: Nuttin'

The real joy for me was spending two hours this morning pulling out all the gear I needed, and then putting most of it away again when I realized I would not be able to carry it all! :rolleyes: Made up a lovely little batch of method that I am sure went unappreciated. Note: If you make up a batch of method and don't have time to let it "cure" over night just turn on your electric blanket to Hi and let sit for as long as time will allow. (DO NOT mention this technique to fiances, girlfriends, or wives or things will heat up way to quickly ....)

No signs of activity anywhere. Even the seagulls looked depressed.

Still..... the thrill of what MIGHT happen warmed this fisherman's heart and sharpened my anticipation of the Spring to come.

I predict the great CAG 50lb. Barrier will be broken this year! Will it come from the East coast or the West coast? Will John put the Midwest on the map this year with a giant? Does the Tennessee River have a 50+ to match all those monster 40's? LadyBird, Deep Creek, Tomhannock, St. Lawrence River......... or some 10 acre Reservoir that is flying below the radar? Will it come during one of the many great carp events on the schedule? and most importantly: Will the lucky angler be prepared to deal with the occasion? Will he or she have a keepsack big enough? Will they have a good camera and a steady hand to take the photos? Will they have a witness (or three?) Will they have a certified, or certifiable, scale with them when the time comes? Will they have a nice soft tape measure ($3 at any Walmart sewing section) to get some accurate length and width measurements? I sure hope so!

Best of luck to all for a healthy and happy 2009 Season!!

Rick

post-1696-1235330658.jpg

The long walk out....

post-1696-1235330676.jpg

I love the old school rod pod. :yourock:

Franklin -- I believe that's a branch of Fox International!! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Brid.

Franklin -- I believe that's a branch of Fox International!! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Brid.

and very much (NEW SCHOOL) LOLOL!

this will make you want and want and want to gt out on the bank and bank a beast!!!!

My biggest stalked Carp is a high 15 mirror (over 25 yrs ago), from a water I had spent weeks on, just watching. I missed the targeted "monster" that was part of the "conga chain". The fish I got, ploughed straight into a lily bed, and took me about 45 mins to get out. It was about 1/3 the size of the brute I was targeting. Still -- surface fishing is a lot of fun, and well worth a try!! Hopefully - the coots don't plague you too much.

Cheers,

Brid.

Edited by Brid

Man....That video made me want it to be mid spring soooooo bad!!

Don't give up Rick. When you blank things can only get better the next time. :rolleyes:

Ray

Wow, watching the video of the surface feeding fish, I noticed grassers, mirrors, tench, bream, and coots...LOL

I also noticed, after my initial chub, is the angler ruined opportunities to catch many more of those fish by how he stuck each one and the way he fought them. That school was good for 4-5 carp, anyways...

Still, nice fish!

Wow, watching the video of the surface feeding fish, I noticed grassers, mirrors, tench, bream, and coots...LOL

I also noticed, after my initial chub, is the angler ruined opportunities to catch many more of those fish by how he stuck each one and the way he fought them. That school was good for 4-5 carp, anyways...

Still, nice fish!

was strange how he just picked out the mirrors!!! and the one grasser that came up looked like a canooooo! LOL

but a great shot of how it can be at the right time and the rewards from being in the right place!

cheers

joel.

Kev

Nice vid. :rolleyes:

Dave Smith (Smifster) and I witnessed the same thing in Idaho at Blackfoot res, the surface was alive with fish in front of both of us, directly above where we had baited, the rest of the lake around us was flat calm with no signs of fish. Dave got some good video footage of it too.

There was what seemed like hundreds of backs and lips sticking out of the water for about one hour, then they got their heads down. It was cool as it gave us chance to get a bit of breakfast down us.

K :yourock:

I used to have the pod

post-1985-1235423341.jpg

Kev -- any port in a storm is good - when you are out on a limb!! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Brid

PS -- Rick -- I hope you don't mind this bit of fun - on your thread?